Children's Bedroom Furniture

I want to buy a bedroom set for my three year old son. Just wondering what kind of dresser other parents have bought for their boy's. I think a wide, low dresser would by safest, but they take up alot of room. My older son has a chest style and has knocked it over a few times. My younger child is much more adventurous and not big for his age.

We got a storage system from IKEA in place of a dresser. It has plastic bins that slide in, so if they come out it is no big deal. The only downside to them is that my kids like to climb up them like steps. But they are not very tall.

You could buy a chest style dresser and anchor it to the wall with brackets to keep it from falling over. You could also lift the front slightly to tip it towards the wall. This can be done with wooden wedges called shims. You can buy them at a hardware store or somewhere like Home Depot.

Ok So I dont really have any kind of suggestions about furniture, however I do have a suggestion for when you put it in his room. My son is 5 and loves to climb anything he can climb, and some things he cant. Get L Brackets for anything standing in his room. We have L brackets attaching his dresser, and book shelves to the walls. This way even if he does try to climb he cant pull them over on himself.

I reccomend a Furniture Bracket. Thousands of children are injured and some killed by funiture usually a dresser falling on top of them.
http://www.kidsource.com/CPSC/furniture_tips.html
This is a website that sells them: http://www.mypreciouskid.com/furniture-safety-brackets.html
I believe several baby stores have them as well like Babies "r" us and Segals.

Buy any furniture you want just think long term use and safety, use a bracket. I bought a tall dresser and used the upper drawer for clothes my daughter would grow into so when she hit that growth spurt I have a little something for her to wear.

We have always loved Ikea furniture for their great prices. (All their kids furniture and most other pieces come with anti-topple brackets.) For the boys we had the same challenge, however we decided to skip the real dresser/drawers till they were older. We just got the plastic drawers and placed them in the closet. This helped to eliminate any chance of them climbing on them, and if they fell over we knew the boys wouldn't be hurt. Of course you could always go to any hardware store and pick up anti-topple brackets for any furniture you decide to buy.

I can't find the set I bought for my son but here is a link to a site I wish I would have known about when I did buy because their prices seem VERY reasonable.

http://www.home-and-bedroom.com/childrens-furniture-bedro... for their bedroom sets

http://www.home-and-bedroom.com/bedroom-furniture-dresser... and this link to find a matching dresser

good luck.

Now that my boys are 18 & 20 I'm looking to buy a new set for them and this is where I'm going to look first :-)

Check out Ikea's furniture. We bought the Hemnes wide dresser for my son. It wasn't in the junior section, but the prices on all of the furniture are great. And all of them come with hardware to fix them to the wall so there's no chance of them toppling over on the kids.

Definately attach it to the wall, but also, you can hide it inside the closet and make more bedroom space.

S.,
We don't have a dresser in our boys' room, only container drawers two high.

There are anchors that you can purchase to attach from the dresser to the wall to keep the kids from pulling it over. I don't know how good they are because we haven't had to use them.

My boys share a tall dresser with hutch set on top. Together they are nearly 7 feet high and definitely bolted to the wall! The folks at Home Depot can show you what hardware to get and how to install it.

1 / 3