Children's Bedroom Furniture

I want to buy a bedroom set for my three year old son. Just wondering what kind of dresser other parents have bought for their boy's. I think a wide, low dresser would by safest, but they take up alot of room. My older son has a chest style and has knocked it over a few times. My younger child is much more adventurous and not big for his age.

We got a storage system from IKEA in place of a dresser. It has plastic bins that slide in, so if they come out it is no big deal. The only downside to them is that my kids like to climb up them like steps. But they are not very tall.

You could buy a chest style dresser and anchor it to the wall with brackets to keep it from falling over. You could also lift the front slightly to tip it towards the wall. This can be done with wooden wedges called shims. You can buy them at a hardware store or somewhere like Home Depot.

Ok So I dont really have any kind of suggestions about furniture, however I do have a suggestion for when you put it in his room. My son is 5 and loves to climb anything he can climb, and some things he cant. Get L Brackets for anything standing in his room. We have L brackets attaching his dresser, and book shelves to the walls. This way even if he does try to climb he cant pull them over on himself.

I reccomend a Furniture Bracket. Thousands of children are injured and some killed by funiture usually a dresser falling on top of them.
http://www.kidsource.com/CPSC/furniture_tips.html
This is a website that sells them: http://www.mypreciouskid.com/furniture-safety-brackets.html
I believe several baby stores have them as well like Babies "r" us and Segals.

Buy any furniture you want just think long term use and safety, use a bracket. I bought a tall dresser and used the upper drawer for clothes my daughter would grow into so when she hit that growth spurt I have a little something for her to wear.

We have always loved Ikea furniture for their great prices. (All their kids furniture and most other pieces come with anti-topple brackets.) For the boys we had the same challenge, however we decided to skip the real dresser/drawers till they were older. We just got the plastic drawers and placed them in the closet. This helped to eliminate any chance of them climbing on them, and if they fell over we knew the boys wouldn't be hurt. Of course you could always go to any hardware store and pick up anti-topple brackets for any furniture you decide to buy.

I can't find the set I bought for my son but here is a link to a site I wish I would have known about when I did buy because their prices seem VERY reasonable.

http://www.home-and-bedroom.com/childrens-furniture-bedro... for their bedroom sets

http://www.home-and-bedroom.com/bedroom-furniture-dresser... and this link to find a matching dresser

good luck.

Now that my boys are 18 & 20 I'm looking to buy a new set for them and this is where I'm going to look first :-)

Check out Ikea's furniture. We bought the Hemnes wide dresser for my son. It wasn't in the junior section, but the prices on all of the furniture are great. And all of them come with hardware to fix them to the wall so there's no chance of them toppling over on the kids.

Definately attach it to the wall, but also, you can hide it inside the closet and make more bedroom space.

S.,
We don't have a dresser in our boys' room, only container drawers two high.

There are anchors that you can purchase to attach from the dresser to the wall to keep the kids from pulling it over. I don't know how good they are because we haven't had to use them.

My boys share a tall dresser with hutch set on top. Together they are nearly 7 feet high and definitely bolted to the wall! The folks at Home Depot can show you what hardware to get and how to install it.

I don't know if this is an option for you, but I also have 2 boys ages 6 and 3 who share a room and with the beds, toys, bookshelf, etc., space was getting tight. I had a friend install some shelves in the closet and I got plastic tubs for each shelf. My boys each have their side of the closet, and each knows where everything goes. They can even put their clean clothes away themselves because they know what clothes go in each bucket (although they no longer stay nicely stacked and folded, oh well...) I have loved it. My boys only have about 3 or 4 things each to hang up, and one side of the closet is only have shelves, and the top half has a bar to hang clothes on; and I still have the top of the closet for storage, so I haven't missed the space for other things. I love having the extra room in their bedroom and one less piece of furniture for them to climb on and try to "fly off" of (they haven't really tried to climb the shelves yet, we'll see though. :) Hope this helps and good luck.

hi S.... we bought unfinished furniture for both our boys... so i could paint the pieces... but more importantly we've attached the bookcases and dressers to the wall... my husband used those screws with the loop on the top (could i sound more girly?)... one in a stud in the wall and one on the back of the bookcase... and then used a hefty cable tie to attach the two... this way when i move the furniture around i only have one hole in the wall to patch :) good luck...

I skipped the dresser issue altogether and put together a closet system instead. I went to The Container Store and they helped me plan out all the shelving and space needed. I like that it is adjustable as they grow and I can exchange the pieces if I need something different. If you can wait until January, they have their annual Elfa Sale which will save you 30%!

It saved me a ton of room for my daughter to play in - she's a major climber, reduced my worry and helps me keep all her stuff organized.

We bought a Captain's bed for our 3 year old. The dresser drawers are underneath. It's not really any higher than a regular bed. New they can be expensive, but we got ours on Craigslist for $150. It was used but handmade and in great condition. Great find, and we love it. Doesn't take up all the extra space and there's plenty of room for all his clothes.

hi S.,
I think most children's furniture now comes with an attachment to put a strap on the back to hold it up in case of a climber or an earthquake... you jsut have to find a place inthe room where there's a stud to attach it to. the people at the furniture store should be able to help you with that:) good luck!

If you buy new, dressers and book cases usually come with the wall anchor straps. Check out Ikea, they have lots of great stuff for kids rooms, and it is usually inexpensive.

Oh!! A bed with storage drawers that slide under it rocks for room preservation. I think they are called soemthing like sailor beds?? But they are cool and leave room for a toy organizer or something along those lines. Best of luck!!

I bought my daughter a dresser at Walmart. They had a good selection, and the one I bought, she can reach all the drawers.

Ikea has wonderful kids' furniture - you can go to thier store near the Portland airport or look online: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/ They have more in thier store than they do online.

Whatever height you choose, I recommend attaching it to the wall. There is a device that loops somehow and is inexpensive. I bought one for my daughter at Fred Meyer in the hardware section. Costs less than $10.