Children Are All Licking and Drying Out Lips~!

All my boys once the weather changed to cold are constantly licking their lips and making this large red ring around their mouth and the skin is craked and red. I lather on vaseline at night and it looks better in the morning but by the time they are home from school it looks horrible again. Anyone know the best lotion for this and why they do it ever winter!!

I have heard, great things about "Vermont's Bag Balm".
If you go to Amazon, they have it.
I heard, it works wonders... on skin and chapped lips.
I heard that here, on MamaPedia once in a post awhile ago.

All the best,
Susan

Have them keep a chapstick in their pockets and let the teachers know that they are supposed to use them! Vaseline in the morning when they wake up, when they get home from school and before bed!

Get them some carmex, blistex, chapstick... they are reasonably trying to get moisture in their lips by licking them, but it's only making it worse. Put a humidifier in their room as night as well.

They do it in the winter b/c that is when the skin is the driest from the cold and moisture stealing heaters and when lips start to chap the most.

You already got great suggestions! Also make sure they are drinking enough. Kids often do not notice they are getting dehydrated. Proper hydration will help keep the skin supple and can lessen the habit of licking your lips.

I would suggest using only a chapstick/blistex/lip balm and not vaseline--the chapsticks have been tested to be safe to eat (since it's on your lips & will end up in your mouth), but vaseline is not okay to eat.

I've used lanolin (like what you get for breastfeeding), smeared on the lips at night & in the morning, and maybe when they get home from school. Lanisoh is one brand that is supposed to hypoallergenic, and if it's safe for a nursing baby, it's safe for your boys.

I agree with the poster to also give them chapstick and remind, remind, remind them to use it. And send a note in to the teacher to remind them also while at school.

If you go to Amazon, they have it.

All the best,
Susan

I'd keep doing the vaseline or try the aquaphore. I used to do that when I was a kid too... my mom has pictures. My grandmother gave me my first tube of chapstick when I was about 5 just for that purpose. And this was way before they had the flavored chapsticks... but I remember cherishing it in my pocket and using it often in the winter.
The cold and the dryness in the house since we are running heat now just makes the lips much dryer than normal. Oh and another tip I got from my Grandpa (this sounds gross but works in a pinch) is to rub your finger behind your ear and get some of the skin oil and put that on your lips. That is for when you forgot your tube of chapstick ;)

How old are they? Can they be trusted to carry their own chapstick to school with them? That's what I do for my 6 and 8 yr olds. There lips are DRY - make sure they're drinking enough water and put humidifiers in there rooms at night.

My pediatrician recommended using a bit of hydrocortisone cream...let it dry and then follow with a little petroleum jelly afterwards...3 times a day until the redness subsides and then used the jelly or chapstick. This also works with the irritation caused under the nose from nose blowing.

1 / 3