Child with Cough That Wont Go Away!

My 8 year old has had a cough for about 2-3 months now. It is not (and never was) a "sick" sounding cough and didn't follow a cold or other illness. It seems to be coming from the throat and not the lungs and reminds me of an old man's hacking in the morning. Every once in awhile the cough will be deeper and he will cough up a bit of mucus which is always clear or slightly milk and kind of just looks like thick spit. His nose sounds slightly stuffy in the morning as well, but not enough to blow out, and he says he does not feel sick. When I ask him about the cough he says that there is a weird feeling in his throat and that he is coughing to get rid of the weird feeling. I have tried giving him claritin to see if it was an allergy from something in the air but it did nothing. Various factors seem to do nothing to make the cough either better or worse, such as being inside or outside, being away from our home (we have recently taken 2 different 6-day vacations and he coughed there also), evening or morning etc. It is not worse during activity and in fact if anything it is the other way around because it seems to be worse in the mornings when he is just laying around. No fever or other symptoms. I feel like if I take him to the Dr they are either going to prescribe antibiotics or albuterol and send me on my way but I really do not think this is asthma. He does have a history of eczema and there are multiple allergies in his grandparents but none in my husband or myself. The only thing in his environment that has changed is that right when this all started we pulled up all of our carpet and tile and put down laminate flooring. There was an incredible amount of dust in the air during those couple of weeks and even though I have since dusted the house several times I can't help but wonder if there is a connection. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

There might be stuff in his lungs from the carpet pull up - he may need some asthma meds for a short time, it could be a variant of asthma, as the previous poster mentioned. That is a simmilar type as to my MIL's and it gets REALLY bad if left ignored.

My son had a cough for 5 months. Medicine wasn't doing anything for it... Brought him to the ENT and he has really big tonsils and huge adenoids covered in mucus.. The post nasal drip was not helping. He also had a lot of fluid in his middle ear that wasn't draining properly.
I had tubes put in his ears, adenoids/tonsils taken out and haven't had one issue since!

My husband has cough variant asthma when he gets around too much dust or pet dander (which defines our house...). That sounds similar.

A couple of things come to mind that I have had similar symptoms and this is what I was diagnosed with:
I had that hacky, dry cough and it was more of a tickle that I was trying to clear out of my throat. I went to the doctor thinking it was allergy or bronchial related and it was acid reflux of all things. My doctor prescribed Omeperazole (which is also available over the counter) and it cleared up literally within days. If he is noticing this problem mostly at night it could very well be the problem.

Several months after this diagnosis, I started to get this similar cough again, so I started taking the Omperazole on a daily basis again. It didn't help. I had just started a fitness bootcamp and my doctor said it was exercise-induced asthma. She gave me an albuterol inhaler to take as needed and thirty minutes prior to any exercise. It took care of the problem and I rarely have to use the inhaler, but have it on hand just in case.

At any rate, I would take your son to the doctor and have it checked out. If the cough hasn't gone away it most likely needs to be treated with some meds. I hope he feels better soon!!
HTH,
A.

Aluterol has other outcomes than treating asthma. I use it when I am coughing to help open the airways so the goo can get up.

I use a nebulizer, not an inhaler, the vials that go into the nebulizer are med mixed with sterile water. The water helps the goo become more liquid and easier to get up too.

I would go to the right kind of doc so that I would be sure he didn't have something stuck in his lungs that he had accidentally breathed in.

I once had a feeling there was something stuck in my throat.
I coughed and swallowed and could not get rid of it.
Finally I went to my doctor and it turned out I had acid reflux.
My esophagus was irritated down near my stomach entrance but I was feeling the irritation up in my throat.
A few weeks on Prilosec cured it right up.
You are not going to get to the bottom of it by ignoring it.
Go have it checked out.

Sounds like some kind of allergy and simply going in or out of the house/exposed to it or not, he probably isn't away from it long enough to stop it. Clariton takes time to work and doesn't work for everyone. The cough you described sounds a lot like my daughter and I when are allergies weren't treated. Talk to your doctor as there are other treatments available and some do not require a Rx...Zyrtec, Allegra (or the generics of them).

Another option would be to consider the household products you use...soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, cleaning products, detergents. Even if you child does not come into direct contact with these things (like the cleaners) he is exposed to it through inhallation and absorption. Most clothing detergents take repetitive rinses (like 10 x) before all traces of some chemicals are gone.

My sister is allergic to flormaldahyde (spelling?) and Dad had to remove all the paneling from our home and drywall it when we were young.

My son's asthma is a persistant cough. Not really any wheezing. If you have an inhaler for him already, try giving it to him and see if it helps.

When my son was diagnosed with asthma, we thought it was a sinus infection that was heading for broncitis. We went to the regular dr. 3 times. The cough kept getting worse, more frequent, and the OTC allergy meds did nothing.

Sounds like Post-Nasal drip, from the nose.
Then the person "coughs" because the nasal secretions/mucus goes down the throat, and then it accumulates, and causes the "gag reflex" to trigger. Hence, coughing.
And when laying down, the mucus drips from the post-nasal drip... accumulates in the throat. Hence triggering the gag-reflex/coughing.
Hence that icky feeling there. Because the mucus is accumulating in the throat.

And sometimes, the mucus from the throat will go into the chest. So the cough sounds "deeper."

Coughing, originates from:
1) the sinuses (post nasal drip) or,
2) the chest
3) or both

There are nasal drops. ie: "Little Noses" nasal decongestant for kids. Gotten from any drugstore. It helps a lot.
Claritin etc., is an antihistamine. THUS, it may not target the "nose" per say. Thus, it may not work, for nose issues.
Thus, use a NOSE decongestant. Because THAT, will target the nose and its stuffiness and mucus.

Keep in mind, that some people just have sensitive noses to dust or anything in the air. And things in the air, cannot be completely gotten rid of. Also keep in mind... that "dusting" AND vacuuming... kicks up a LOT OF DUST, while it is going on. You cannot "see" all this dust being kicked up... but it saturates the air, while it is being done. My Mom's Allergist, told her this. He told her, DO NOT BE in the vicinity, while vacuuming is going on. Not for an hour afterwards etc. Because, the "air quality" of the air after dusting/vacuuming, will be full of dust. Until it settles down. Atmospherically.

I have sensitivity to air dust, not "allergic" per say, but since I was a child I was like that. Now as an adult, I take Claritin or saline nose drops or even my prescription "Nasonex" if I need to. BUT only if I need to. Because most of the time, it is not severe enough for me, to have to use it every darn day.

THEN, what is the air quality in your area or weather? Is it smoggy? Dry? That can affect some people.
Get an air filter or purifier, for your home.

Inhalers, like Albuterol, are bronchodilators. It targets the lungs. NOT the nose. It also does NOT target, "mucus." What it does is: it opens up the lung's airways... because it is inflamed and thus constricted. Hence per Asthma, it makes a person unable to breathe. I know this because, I have had Asthma since I was a child.

Is your son, able to, or knows how to... SPIT out his mucus???? If not, teach him how. Then that will also help, to expel the mucus that is accumulating in this throat.

What has the Doctor said? Did you take him to the Doctor?
Has he had antibiotics?
Maybe he was sick but you didn't know it?

When you pulled up the carpet/tile and put down laminate flooring... there are fumes that gas off too. From the materials and glue etc. And yep, dust. AND keep in mind, that even if you "dust" the house... microscopic "dust" can even saturate the..... sofa fabrics, any fabrics, too. Including, clothing. And you can't see it. Did you vacuum... the sofas? Chairs? Drapery? That can be a repository of "dust" too.
AND depending on "how" you dust the home.... the dust can simply be flown off to some other surface. And the dust is not actually, gone. Just relocated.
Use microfiber dust cloths, that the dust will adhere to. Not just a feather duster, because those just fling the dust off to other places, and even to the floor. It does not go away, just because you "dusted."

Again, try getting an air purifier or filter, for your home and for his bedroom. Keeping it in a room where your son hangs out most of the time.

Also: does your son have Eczema? Eczema is an "inflammation." And it can sometimes, cause coughing.
http://www.medicinenet.com/eczema/article.htm

Or if anything, have him allergy tested or see an ENT.

1 / 3