Child Weight Gain

Recently, I noticed my 9 year old has put on some pounds. She has always been a very thin child and now she has some extra belly fat and is beginning to develop breast (or maybe that is just fat; I’m not really sure.) Is this normal for this age in girls? Maybe I am just having a hard time thinking that my skinny child is now gaining weight when actually she is just growing and entering some pre-pubescent stage.

I am so happy to hear other experiences and in fact my daughter was raised vegan her first 5 years and now we eat fish or chicken once a week. We only drink non-dairy milk (soy, rice, oat, almond). I'm am not so much buying the hormone theory myself. I am now more at ease hearing that other nine year old girls are also experience these pre-pubescent growth changes. Formerly she was in dance and swim and we are looking at getting her back into these activities to keep her active and secure in her body. Thank you all for your input it has helped put things into perspective.

I only have sons, but it is a fact that girls are developing earlier than they used to. This was true for my nieces. There are many theories as to why this is happening, but the fact remains that it is. Don't be alarmed. With my boys, it was a real shock when they started to become "men". Logically moms know it will happen, but when it actually DOES begin to happen, it is a jolt. This is also the time when eating disorders can develop, so tread carefully regarding her changes. Makes me glad I only had boys. :0)

Hi K.;

It is normal with 9 yrs old to have fat because she is growing up. Also don't forget that she might entering her puberty or her hormone is coming along the way. Keep her active and busy in a positive way. She will be fine and keep her eat healthy snacks and food. Take Care.

A.

I think it's a normal pre-pubescent stage. More and more girls are starting their periods as early as 9 (or younger) because of hormones in the milk and other foods they eat. If there are hard lumps in her breast (called breast bumps) that is usually an indication that her periods will be coming within 2 years from the time they appear. So long as she is eating decent-to-healthy and getting exercise, I wouldn't make a huge deal out it. You don't want her self-esteem bruised if you can help it by making comments about it.

I have to say thank you for asking this question. My husband and I have started becoming concerned about our 8 1/2 yr old who seems to also be putting on some pounds just in her tummy. I don't remember ever gaining weight before puberty but I certainly did after. Maybe it will be the reverse for her.

I also have a nine year old daughter that's growing through the same thing. I believe its just their body's going through its change. At first I was worried, but then I realized I went through the same thing, after I looked at pictures. I wouldn't worry to much. Just make sure you keep her active, maybe in a sport activity. She will catch up with her body.

It's very possible that she is developing early. I developed breasts at age 7.

Her weight gain and breasts are normal for her age. Please don't let your daughter know you are concerned about her body image or she may begin to worry about it. Our diets now consist of a lot of added hormones in cows milk and chicken that may be causing young girls to have an earlier onset of puberty. You could take a better look at diet if you are really concerned. You seem like a very loving, caring and courageous mother. Keep up the great work!

My daughter was always thin until she turned 9, and then I too noticed a weight gain around her middle. When we went in for her check-up, her doctor told her that she needed that extra belly fat in order to grow taller and get through puberty. It was a great discussion, and set both of our minds at ease. When I took a look at her friends, I noticed that many of them had put on weight as well. She's now 11, and has indeed lost some of that extra weight, grown taller and developed breasts! I think what your daughter is going through is the normal growth process- it's just hard for us to understand it because it's happening earlier for them then it did for us.

I am 37. I remember clearly that I was around 9 years old when I started early development of breasts etc. I got my first period at about 11-12. The doctors said that was totally normal. My mom brought me in when I was 9 because my chest was starting to hurt and get tender and bumps were showing, my mom didn't realize they were breast developing LOL. That is a perfectly normal age to start developing, has nothing at all to do with things like extra hormones in food or whatever it's being blamed on. Unless there is a serious change in her activity level or eating habits I would not worry too much about it as it sounds like regular pre-teen development. But if it really worries you I would talk to her dr just to make you feel better if anything else.

I believe this is normal. I have an 8 yr old girl (gonna be 9 Feb 12th) she also has been packing on pounds since early summer. She was a slim child and very active in sports now. She eats pretty good. She also is developing small breasts. I sincerely believe this is because they will get their periods pretty soon and their body is getting ready for future changes. Don't stress on it ok. My daughter is up to 72 lbs. Went from a size 2 in shoes beginning of 2nd grade to a size 4 this year.

1 / 3