Child W/food Intolerances Visiting Someone Else's House

My 10-year old daughter was recently diagnosed with food intolerances. She gets migraines and feels very ill. This is new, so she's not really good at knowing what she can and can't eat. WE aren't that well versed in it yet, I'm still carefully reading labels. I have to carefully read labels before I let her eat anything. As long as she doesn't eat a trigger food, she's fine.

Recently she visited a friends' house. I told the mom what she was "allergic" to (it's not really an allergy, but we use the word allergic because it's easier to understand) and I asked her to carefully read any labels before giving her anything. I instructed my daughter on what she should eat, suggesting she drink WATER because we know water is safe and I also told her to ask the mom if any snacks had the food triggers in them BEFORE she ate them. She wasn't at her friend's house very long, but I knew she'd probably drink and eat snacks while she was there.

Well, my daughter didn't ask the mom and the mom didn't remember. Of course she ate a food with a trigger in it and she got a migraine headache. I had to pick her up early, and she was crying and she threw up on the way home.

Should I send my daughter with her own snacks to a friend's house? Should she not be allowed to eat anything? I know it's new for my daughter so she's not well-versed in what she can and can't eat. Is it okay to check a friend's pantry for possible snacks she can have when I drop her off?

I want her to be as safe as possible and now I'm nervous sending her anywhere!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will definitely send her with her own snacks and drinks from now on, AND I will include enough for her to share with her friend.

A laminated list of things she can't have is a great idea! Since she's just learning, that can help her out. She can also hand it to an adult just in case there is a question.

Many of these things she used to eat but now have become triggers. I also know that she keeps saying she can have "a little" of something or "I USED to be able to eat that" and poor thing can't have even a speck without it triggering a migraine. The doctor said that sometimes these things just happen.

She's going to have to learn what she can and cannot eat. Perhaps you could get her a laminated cheat sheet to carry so she can look for the items she cannot have.

I send my daughter w/her own snacks, and even meals for sleepovers, but she still tests the boundaries sometimes and will sneak something now and then, but then it makes her feel ill.

You may want to avoid drop-offs until you have the particulars sorted out. For sleepovers, if they family is having, say, tacos for dinner, we pack something similar so she doesn't feel too weird.

-M.

As a mom, if my child's friend's mom told me that she had food allergies that caused migranes and sent her with her own food, or with a list of "safe" foods, I'd be glad and greatful. I don't even like to get regular headaches, so I can't imagine being a child with a migrane. Having the snack with her tells me that her mom doesn't want me to go to any trouble, and having the list makes it easier for me to find stuff to give. I wouldn't "check the pantry" cause that's just weird, but if a mom asks you to help her go through stuff to find the "safe" thing, then go for it.

Yes, you should be sending your own snacks if her reaction is so bad. As the parent hosting the playdate, I would be happy to work around any food issues if you could tell me in advance what is good or not. In your case, it sounds like you are still figuring it out yourself. I would be frustrated if I was expected to accomodate any food allergies if I didn't have any clear direction as to what your child could or could not have....

I would just send her own snacks and tell her that if she wants ANYTHING to eat or drink, away from home, that she should call you and read the ingredients to YOU. If that can't happen, she shouldn't take a chance to eat it. Im sure this happens more than you think & it's PERFECTLY okay to have these 'rules'.

Here is my take on what would probably work the best.
Given that your daughter is still "new" to advocating for herself about her migraines and triggers, you should probably send snacks along with her. After a while, she will learn what is ok and what is not, and she will get more comfortable (and she will REMEMBER) with asking before consuming:
"Does that ___ have any ____ in it?" Most of the time, if a child asks a mom if something is "in" something, the mom will ask follow up questions. I know I do.
The best thing for you to do right now, is send snacks and role play and practice with your daughter. At home, you are probably closely monitoring all she consumes, but SHE is going to have to do that when you aren't there to intervene. And she will, but there is a learning curve to becoming assertive enough to do this well.
Role play with her at home. Pretend you are a good friend's mom and your daughter is at a party at her house.
"Here Jenny, have some cookies and pass the rest out to the other kids, please." Then Jenny needs to say: ______________________________.
(tell her what to say. "Mrs. Crawford, do these cookies have any "x" "y" or "z" in them? Because those things trigger my migraines." or whatever you want her to say. )

She needs to be better educated on what goes into her mouth. Anyone who comes in contact with you or her should know about her intolerances/allergies. You need to be very direct when she goes to another's house. I use the word ER and tell people who don;t know that I do not want to go to the ER today so do not feed her this, and her list is over one page typed. I call them allergies too, even though most of them are intolerances.
My daughter keeps her list in her purse along with an epipen and Benadryl.
I give copies to anyone who might feed her.
We have restaurants that we cannot even walk into, so things like KFC are on the list.
She also has a small snack in her purse, like peanuts or a granola bar, at all times.

Absolutely send snacks with her anywere she goes.
Educate her while you educate yourself. Teach her how to read words like monosodium glutamate (a big trigger), nitrates, nitrites.
If it's milk, teach her the other words that mean milk proteins, like casein and lacto-anything.

I have checked friend's foods, but usually send snacks, our list includes many fruits so I have to be careful if the mom says we have fruit.

My best ally happens to be my daughter's best friend's mom. Her daughter gets stomache migraines, mine breaks out in hives. Mine can't have rice, hers can, mine --no soy, hers --no milk, hers no nitrites, mine no processed peanut butter. Both have to eat every three hours, hers gets a migraine if hungry, mine faints and has had a seizure

I think it would be great to pack your daughter her own snack. We have a neighbor whose daughter has a nut allergy. When she's over, mom always has her bring her own snack. This will put you in control, and then your daughter has to follow suit and to understand that she can only eat what you've packed, or there may be consequences, even with comparable products that seem alike. No one will mind-- this is all about taking care of herself. She may have to do this for a long time, so it's good for her to get into the habit now.

As for the party, she's going to have to learn to be self-disciplined about it. Perhaps you can have an 'okay' treat waiting at home for her.

Hey, I wonder if your daughter and I have the exact same food sensitivity. If I eat certain ingredients I also get awful migraines and throw up. We have to make almost everything from scratch, which is fine. Anyway, I think if it were me I would give her her own snack to bring. Also always remind her and educate her on what she can and cannot eat. If it is the same as me, it is very confusing and not easy. Tell her fresh foods like fruits are great. Any kind of cracker or processed food she should stay away from and eat her own snack you packed her. Poor kid. I know just how she feels (for me it is all the "msg" like ingredients - the free glutamates, that are in just about EVERYTHING). Honestly, I would also teach her best friend's moms about what she can and cannot eat as well...since she will most likely be going to those kid's houses more often.

I completely agree with what Patricia just said. We have snacks at church for the kids and I love one mom who brings her child an alternative so that he can still have something and not be left out and we like that we don't have to deal with possibly giving him something that he's sensitive to.

1 / 3