Child Tourette Syndrome

Does anyone have any experience with tourette's? My daughter is four and she is showing all the signs of having tourette's (she does a little upper body shake and a little noise coming from her mouth like she is holding her breath). She has been doing it for over a year now and probably more than 20 times a day, at random times, and usually when she is excited or proud but also when she is just watching tv or doing a calm activity. Six months ago I showed her pediatrician a video tape and she wanted to get and EEG on her, but we never got through. it (we did go to get it but our daughter would not coooperate). Now I am reading that there is no test for it, just observation. I found a few good websites, but any other suggestions or information with this firsthand will be helpful. Thanks.

We had an appt with a pediatric neurologist last week and they diagosed our daughter with a movement disorder called complex motor stereotypie, and hooray, no EEGs were ordered. They said hopefully she will grow out of it, but if not, as she gets older, she will learn ways to cope with it if it becomes a problem or if she is bothered by it. Thank you for all of your helpful responses.

HI,
I agree with the other mothers. You must get a EEG, this is not a diagnosis you can make. It could be something other than what you think. Please do what the doctors ask you to do. I wonder why you are resistant?

My son has Touretts. He has vocal and physical tics but doesn't have the stiffening or shaking you mentioned. It doesn't sound to me like she has Touretts but rather possibly siezures. I'd go in and have the EEG done to rule out other things before jumping to conclusions. It's always better to be safe than sorry.....

Good luck - S.

I agree with the other comments, I use to witness my dad having seizures and it sounds just like what you describe.
Call the Dr and get the tests done, nothing bad will come out either youll find out its not serious or they will find out what is wrong and find the best way to treat it, doing nothing will only make it worse. I wish you the best and hope all goes well.

My grandson got wonderful help from the Children's Hospital psychiatric department. He's been on medication for years and he does not have the tics on it. He was already in school and being teased a lot when this was diagnosed. Some kids seem to have minor tics that they grow out of, but the teasing and lack of confidence are issues that must be dealt with. I highly recommend these folks. Our grandson was treated by Dr.David Rosenberg but I think he mainly works with adolescents. Anyway, I'd call CHM psych dept. Another doc might just blow this off. An eeg won't hurt or anything, by the way. Good luck!

HI,

I have a son with taurette syndrome. It started with eye blinking and progressed into more serious tics including wispering and repeating everything that we say to him or he sees on TV. When I was growing up, I had similar simptoms, but no verbal tics. Eventually, I outgrew them, when I was a teenager. They still come back once in a while if I am under a lot of stress. I spoke to neurologist, who recommended medicine, which we refused to take. I had the pleasure of knowing a great naturopath, who unfortunately recently passed away. He recommended a group of herbs and vitamins to help with the tics. I highly recommend you try them and anyone who has a child with taurette does as well. Here is what he recommended: Calcium, Vitamin C -best if you get Esther C, Taurine, L-Tyrosine, Gaba (absolutely essential for taurettes), Chamomilla 6X, Magnesium. All the dosages can be checked by asking the homeopath at the health food store. I will explain the reason why you need all these vitamins and minerals. When a child has taurette syndrome, he/she is lacking certain minerals in their body, such as calcium. The immune system also needs to be kept up. That is why you need to give them vytamin C. Unfortunately, the doctor we saw is no longer with us. He was a great doctor and helped my son a lot. I would also consider the diet your child is currently on. Try bying all natural food. I would only stick to eating chicken and turkey from meats. I hope this will help you and good luck.

I do not have any experience with this, but even though I am a naturalist... I would recommend getting the EEG. This way, you and your family (and doctor) will have a better understanding as to what is occurring with her... There may be something more that can be done after the EEG is performed.

Otherwise, you could always benefit from Acupressure (I hate needles myself unless you want to try acupuncture as they are painless - or so I am told!), Cranial Sacral, or any of the other healing arts.

Best of Luck!!!

First of all please dont go by what you read on line that information isnt always accurate, ask your doc, they will know best, if they want to do tests, they may want to see what its not before they diagnose anything. Go to Spectrum Childrens Hospital, talk to docs there, get a couple opinions and go from there.

Good luck and God bless.

Hello J., Follow through with the EEG, your doc wants to rule out other things which could be much worse for your daughter. Don't try to self diagnose her, there are many other things that can show these behaviors like epilepsy. Good luck.

1 / 3