Child Sick with One Cold After Another

I am actually asking advice for my sister. My sister's son who is 7 months has had a terrible cold, if that is all it is, one after the other since October. He has been to the doctor several times and my sister and her husband are always told there is not much they can do and that he is "stacking colds." I only see them about once a month because we live in different cities but it just seems his breathing and coughing are so miserable for him. She has said his breathing hasn't sounded like a bear growling since probably October. They have tried humidifier, sitting in bathroom with steam, Vicks among other things. Luckily he is eating fine and for the most part sleeping ok. He is only breastfed, no formula with also jar food. I know breastfeeding is the best for him but could it not be if she seems to be sick quite a bit too. Any good advice??? My son is a very healthy little guy so I can't help her much and even though I am a nurse I don't work with children!

It sounds to me like the little guy could benefit from a chiropractor visit. If you are in a city there are some that specialize in children, but almost all will work with children.

Being properly aligned would allow his system to drain and fight the colds better.

When my first little one was having a series of colds and ear infections they cleared up in 20 minutes of the chiropractor visit.

Could it be allergies instead of colds? Does he go to day care, if so, he may be exposed to one after another until he has his immune system up to par. Does the parents smoke or the babysitter? This will cause kids to seem to have a lot more colds but it actually is an allergric reaction to second hand smoke.

She should be using a suction on his nose to help him breath easier and give him water or watered down juice along with breastfeeding or formula to help thin out the mucus. I use to keep a big pot of water on the stove to give it a warm humidity instead of the cool air humidifiers when the kids had colds. Other then that, without being able to use decongestants and vick, there really isn't a lot you can do other then keep them comfortable and well hydrated and second hand smoke free

When I first read you question, my first thought and my only thought is. your nephew has allergies. Ask your doctor to do a simple blood test to see. Also, have you tried running an air purifier in the house? Because we all basically shut our home up during the winter, we also shut up the allergents from the past year in our homes and we keep breathing in same stuff all of the time. Until your sister find out what making her daughter this way, try using it.

Hi A.
My first two children seemed to be sick so much also. Now my 3rd child has been using a product called Reliv since he was 3 months old. This has built up his immune system and we have never taken him to the Dr. for a sick visit. With 3 children and not having the flu in our house now for 3 years is amazing to me.
You or your sister can contact me if you would like to learn more about Reliv and how you can get it for free :)
###-###-####

Keep in mind the normal number of colds for infants is 10/year. The length of them may be more of the problem than the number for you sister's children.

My nephew had the same problem when he was a baby. After several months they realized it was from his mom cleaning his toys with bleach. She is a germ freak and thought the bleach was a good thing. Bleach, as well as other cleaners, are poisonous and okay only when used in small doses. I don't know if this is what is going on with your nephew, but it doesn't hurt to check it out.

Get him to the CHIROPRACTOR!!!

Whenever our kids start coming down with something we get them adjusted and they tend to get over it with a day or two. On the times that we've procrastinated and didn't want to leave the warm house to go in the freezing weather, their systoms will last a week and then we break down and take them in to the chiropractor and are better within a day or two.....

We've taken our kids to the chiropractor for ear infections (doctor diagnosed--but we refused antibiotics), colds, sore throats, trouble sleeping, etc. Pretty much EVERY time we think somethings up with the kids. And you would not believe the difference!!!

They have been able to help us EVERY TIME!!! Have her give it a try. It's quick, easy, and realatively unexpensive. Find a chiropractor that takes extra training in infants and kids.

A., My son and I started taking a supplement called OPC-3. I ALWAYS get sick if someone in the house gets sick. However when my daughter and her father got sick 2 twice, my son and I did not get sick. All I could think was wow I'm not sick! I have now been giving it to my daugher as well. A good friend of mine told me about it. She has her baby girl on it. She is against vaccinations and gives her 6 month old opc daily to build her immune system. I have been so impressed with how well I am feeling I became a business partner. I suffered from extreem migranes and light-headedness and feeling overall mentally drained for years. Best I have felt in 8 years!
Send me a message if you would like to know more.

If he is in daycare he could be "stacking colds," especially if one of the viruses was RSV, which can linger for months. However, I have one child with asthma and one with "reactive airways" and they both started like your nephew. He's a little young for an official asthma diagnosis, but have they discussed that possibility or RAD? Asthma-like symptoms usually get worse at night though so if he's sleeping o.k. he might just be getting one virus after another. Even if he is just having colds an albuterol neb treatment plan might help. If her current doctor isn't giving them satisfactory answers I would try another opinion and maybe even take him to a pediatric pulmonologist. Breastfeeding is best for him, even if she is sick too. Good luck to your sister! I know how frustrating it is to have a coughing baby.

1 / 3