Child Sex Offender Across Street - What Would You Do?

So we just signed a lease to a new place that is a total upgrade to our current living space. We will finally have a big house with a yard for our little 16 month old to play in. We haven't moved in yet, and still have 2 weeks. Anyways, we just found out last night after looking at the Megan's Law website that there's a child sex offender that lives directly across the street from our house! We are freaking out! I called the police dept. to see if we could obtain more info to see exactly what he did or even when because maybe that would make us feel better. They weren't able to disclose any info other then what was on the site.

We desperately need this house for our growing family, but is it wrong for us to possibly endanger our daughter? Should we just move and stay cautious? I work from home, so my daughter and I would be home all day - I don't want to be uncomfortable in my own home...

Any thoughts or recommendations on how we can feel better about this situation? Thanks!

Thank you so much for all of your thoughtful responses everyone! We did some investigating and even paid to get public records on this guy. As far as the records show, he may not even live there anymore. It also seemed to be a minor offense (still don't know exactly what, but we might go to the courthouse to confirm)

I spoke with our new landlord and voiced our concerns. She said the current residents have lived there for 5 years and the wife was a stay-at-home mom the entire time. They have had no issues or complaints. I found out some of my clients live within one block of the house and say it's a very safe area and many have raised all of their children there. Most people have lived there for over 20 years.

The owner is also going to plant bushes/flowers etc to help make our place a little more private. I like the idea of planting prickly bushes by all the windows! She is also looking into getting our laundry hooked up inside instead of out in the garage.

We are going to get those little beeping alarms that go off whenever you open a door or window. And like most of you said, she is so young, that I would never let her play by herself anyways, so there will always be someone with her.

We are certain that we will love our new home and have a large (private) backyard for our daughter to play in (with supervision). We will be putting locks on the gates as well. We will be cautious and the minute we feel threatened or uncomfortable we will find a new place to live. I did a search for other areas, and like many have also stated, "they" are EVERYWHERE! I even just realized we have one right around the corner from our current place that we've been at for 4 years. We even live in an area with tons of million dollar homes! don't want to live in fear, but I will definitely live cautiously and never let my child be unsupervised.

http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov
will allow you to search by zip & get more info on his offense...
How long did you commit to the lease?
I'd probably plan on moving after that, although you will find offenders in most areas...but use the website before you commit next time!

K.,

Go to the hall of records and see exactly what this man was convicted off. There are many people who must register as sex offenders because they were 18, 21, etc., and has sex with their underage girlfriend who they later married.

On the other hand, if this man was a actual child molester, I would not move into the new place. Peace of mind in a small home is better then constant anxiety in big home.

Blessings.....

Familywatchdog.us website states the crime they were charged with.. .
Horrible!! sorry for situations. Good luck!

http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov
How long did you commit to the lease?

His (or her) conviction is public information available to you with a request under the "Freedom of Information Act". Find out what they were convicted of. Depending on the conviction, he may not be able to live with in 1/4 mile of a school or public park ( playground) frequented by children. If they violate those rules/laws he could be arrested and/or be required to move.

However there are some flaws in our sex offender laws. Example a woman arrested and convicted of being on a beach topless could be required to register as a sex offender. Two high scool students with runaway hormones have sex. She is a junior and almost 17. He is a senior and just over 18. He was convicted and is now a registered sex offender. And there are other similar examples.

Stay cautious ! ! ! Read and learn about Megan's Law. Learn what is required by your state and what your options are. Put good latches or your backyard gates. If you are concerned about some one coming in your back yard, put motion dectors on your back yard gates so you'll know if someone comes in or out. Use lights not bells as your indicatior. If you are really concerned someone might climb a fence, plant blackberries along your fence. I would recommend "Prime Jim" blackberries because they have nice thorns, good berries, are prolific and semi-erect. The ones I have grow tall rather than wide and some are over 6' tall. Roses are another intruder discourger. Tropicana, Heirloom, Mr Lincoln, Big B., Double Delight, and Chrysler Imperial are good, pretty , fragrant roses. Don Juan is a nice climbing rose you can train up to the top of your fence and along the top. I planted these roses in front of my windows and don't wory about break-ins.

Good luck to you and yours.

Tough one. Just be cautious, if you move in. It's true, I think they need to give us more info, like the age the person was when they commited this lewd and lecivious act. Were they 18 with their 17 year old girlfriend and the parents pressed charges? Or were they 50 with a 3 month old? It makes a difference and that's what I hate about that website, it clumps everyone into one category.

I'm a bit bolder than the average person, but I might go to the door and ask to speak with him and just tell him that you are going around to the neighbors before you move in and have them give you feedback on the the neighborhood. Go to all of the houses nearby and you don't need to come out directly and ask about the sex offender. If they offer that info, then great.

I will be doing this before we move again and not just due to protential sex offenders, but because some of our neighbors are crazy and I wish I had a feel for them before we spent this kind of money on a home.

Breathe.

I know exactly how you feel! When we were shooping around for houses for sale, I'd always check back with WatchDog.com to see if there were any convicted child sex offenders in the area. Well we bought a house in a great family-oriented neighborhood only to find out that one month later a man recently convicted of molesting a 5 year old girl moved just one block away. At first, I was horrified and terribly uneasy, but then I really contemplated the entirety of the situation and realized that no matter where we move, there is always the risk of living next to or in close proximity to a child sex offender.
1. Get the details and obtain an official copy of the incident from public records at your county court house.
2. Regularly checking the Megan's Law website to see if the offender is in violation.
3. Talk to your neighbors - especially those with children to feel out the situation and see if the have any insight to that person or his/her habits.

I personally went overboard (according to my bf) in that I put a flyer on everyone's door in the surrounding blocks of the offender's house. From my point of view I wanted to make sure that my community was informed in order to protect their children and I wanted that offender a clear message that the entire surrounding community was well aware of his face and knew about his crimes, and that he was being carefully watched. I pull no punches in the safety and well-being of my child, but no matter what you can't prevent sexual offenders of any kind from moving in next door to you where ever you go. Plus if you really think about - you at least know what that convicted person looks like and can take certain precautions to avoid any possible prying eyes from across the street (you might choose more private window coverings and opt to play in the backyard instead of the front) and add extra safety devices (security system and window alarms) not only for safety, but also for peace of mind. You know, the real threat out there are the ones that we don't know of, those everyday people, those not yet convicted or whose convictions are unknown to us - those random strangers we come across in public settings that want to see and play with our children. Personally, I do not believe or feel that you are putting your daughter in harms way. And although you and your husband are going to be more precautious, you're not going to change the way in which you watch over your child no matter if there was an offender next door or not - she's 16 months old and its not like your letting loose to run around in the neighborhood unattended.

It should be a matter of public record. You might go to the courthouse and see what else you can find out. There is a big difference between a molester and someone who slept with his underage girlfriend, but they can both be convicted of the same crime.

We have a level 3 sex offender down the street from us and we were notified by the county via mail upon his moving in (required now because of Megan's Law). It enclosed his picture, physical detail, car and license plate detail, his record and what the different levels mean (3 is the worst and it was because he failed to register in 2006 and originally in 1987 he was convicted for the molestation of a 12 year old female aquaintence). I have a 4 year daughter and a 6 month old son but at the time was pregnant with my son and I was FREAKING OUT!!! He had moved in ironically right across from the playground. After going crazy about it for like 3 months and spying on the property and trying to figure who was who there I finally settled down. There was nothing I could do about it, I had been there first and certainly did not plan on moving so I figured we would just have to be extra causious and aware of our surroundings. My daughter NEVER does anything outside our home alone, if we do go for walks or to the playground we always bring our phone and a pocket knife (a legal one because switchblades are illegal) or mase and I watch like a hawk. I have started to tell my daughter about how careful we need to eb outside and to make sure you are always looking around to see who is outside etc. and so far there have been no problems. I realized I have to move on or he has won if my life becomes so debilitated by his past that I am not able to live it freely. The other realization I came to is that moving away will just put you closer to another offender because like it or not, they are everywhere.

For heaven's sake, don't OVER-react! With the ridiculously draconian "sex" laws we have, this guy could have been urinating in public behind a bar at 2AM. I agree that a 16-month old needs supervision, but if you teach your child that everyone is a potential child molester, they will never learn to cope with anything that life throws at them. I highly recommend reading Lenore Skenazy's blog, Free-Range Kids, at http://freerangekids.wordpress.com for some commonsense about raising kids almost anywhere without going crazy with worry.

1 / 3