Child Having Upset Stomach Issues

My 7 year old daughter has been ill for about the past week or so and with a low grade fever and upset stomach. I took her to the hospital and he said she has irritable bowel and and the time she needed to be on a liquid diet which we did for the next 36 hours. Now she is back to solid foods and is still complaining about her stomach hurting, has anyone else experienced this and if so did you get another diagnosis or maybe what kind of diet changes would you suggest? Thanks!

I think IBS is becoming the new ADD. Take her to a gastroenterologist (sp)to have it verified - they can give you lots of info. or an allergist and see if/what she is allergic to. If you are allergic to a food it can give those symptoms and so many more. Ibs is aggrivated by stress, as well as different foods. They vary from person to person. Hope this helps L.

First of all, after reading your bio, it's a wonder you had time to sit down and write that note. Wow! You really do have a lot going on.
Anyway, to soothe her stomach, you might want to try ginger tea. It's a pretty strong flavor, but it really helps to soothe the stomach. You can look for the Ginger Ale which is tasty, but be careful, unless you get it at the health food store, it's usually just ginger flavoring. My friend swears by peppermint.
I hope she gets to feeling better soon.

Did the Dr. by any chance check for a Urinary Tract infection? My middle daughter has had trouble with them since she was around 2. We often know she has one or is getting one when she is complaining of her stomach hurting off and on and she would run a low fever off and on. If we just let it go the stomach pain would get worse and she would eventually run a high fever, like 104 or even 105. After that happened once we learned to take her to the Dr. before things got that bad. Now if she starts showing symptoms of a UTI I just take a urine sample into the Dr.s office and they check it for me.

Dione

A LITTLE ABOUT ME: I am a homeschooling Mom to 6 beautiful and bright children ages 14, 13, 11, 10, 8 and 6. I have been married to my wonderful husband for 15 years.

My daughter is 7 to she has been in the hospital twice. We finnally found out that she has the problem where she does not have enough bowel movements. So she complains that her belly hurts alot. in short she hurt because her bowels were swelled and it took them so long to find it she is lucky they did not tear on top of that she has acid relux. So They did an xray to see she was swollen My daughter also had a fever and her white blood count ended up dropping to low that is why she had to be hospialized

I think I'd get a second opinion. I don't think irritable bowel presents with a fever? Sounds more like a virus or a bacterial infection to me. I had a bacterial infection and had a really upset stomach for 2 weeks and a slight fever... I took a z-pack (antibiotics) and was feeling much better within 24 hours.

I hope she feels better soon!

Everyone in our family has had some kind of stomach bug since last Saturday. It has hit some harder than others (my son was vomiting and had diarhea) hubby and I just had nausea and diarhea. My daughter just had really bad stomach cramps. Several people at work have mentioned their kids have had a tummy bug. We are just starting to get better and limited eating to applesauce, toast, soda crackers and a bit of chicken noodle soup. Hope she is all better soon!

I have had problems with my 9 year old on and off with her stomach hurting. I took her to the urgent care in town and one of the nurses said that it could be abdominal migraines. Said it is usually starts around age 7-9. They get stomach aches instead of headachs. I am going to start a food journal on Monday and keep it for about 2 weeks and then take her to a ped nuroligist....(yeah sorry I can't spell tonight...been a long day and I can't get my 4 year old to go to bed or stop talking about the toys in the toy catalog)Anyway....it seems like her stomach pains always happen when she is upset about something. I will post what I find out from the DR.
N.

Did the Dr say anyhting about Crohn's disease? It's a more intense type of IBS. You might want to check into that.

1 / 3