Child Has Ran Fever for 5 Days

I'm was wondering if anyone has heard anything recently about a fever thats obviously going around. The only symptoms my child is having is occasionally she'll complain of a sore throat, frequent headache. She has no head or chest congestion. All her test have come back normal and a cbc is in normal range. It's the strangest thing. She is known to run high fever when she gets sick with just about anything but they have never lasted this long without any explanation as to what it is. I'm beginning to become concern of the other possiblities.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the information. Her fever finally broke Sat. morning. I had never experience such and it was rather scary knowing that a fever could last that many days with no other symptoms. We're all better now and she seems to be her normal self. Thank you all for your well wishes.

My daughter got this often as a toddler. My peditrician would diagnose these syptoms as "viral syndrome". He said that it was her body's defense for fighting a virus that entered her body. She would run fever for 7 days sometimes with no other symptoms. They would do CBC's and strep tests. No ear infections either. It was frustrating, but luckily she hasn't had this in a long time.

In our Birmingham, AL school there has been a stomach virus going around that caused very little nausea for the main thing in the fever for a few days. I hope that's the cause for your child and it will go away soon. The symptoms lated for 3-5 days.

Hello A., My daughter had a similar fever last year, on and off for 3+ months. It was a fever-virus & the drs said it just had to run it's course. You probably need to make an appt just to be sure because a friends child had it, but it was a different strain & had to be put on antibiotics. Good Luck & God Bless! Carolc

My 5 year old started complaining of a sore throat and a headache this past weekend. His fever started saturday and by sunday night it was 103 and he could not swallow anymore. I took him to the doctor monday and he has strep throat. He started him on antibotics and he is doing much better now.

I hope she is doing better now. Strep throat is very painful and they do run high fever with it. If that is what she has, god bless her. Its not fun and her appetite will not be good either.
N.

Both my girls did this a couple months ago, we never figured out what was going on, but it eventually went away.

There are fever viruses, and viruses like Roseola where a child runs a high fever for days, then suddenly breaks out into a rash. Roseola usually has a high fever >102 for a week, then the rash appears.
Just try to keep her comfortable, and let the doctor know if any other symptoms arise, if it rises above 102-103, or if it continues for another few days. Hope she's better soon!

Hi! My daughter (8yrs old) did the exact same thing. Sun pm she complained of headache, so gave her tylenol, and she went to bed very early. As the nite progressed she began having fever but NO symptoms. Fever was running 103- 104. Tylenol did nothing. Finally Tuesday took her to the Dr. Did finger prick- had viral infection, but since no symptoms would have to run its course. Add Motrin/Tylenol every 3 hrs. She complained of sore throat just a couple of times. Still days went by still high fever (finally 104.8). Called Dr. back Thurs they called in an antiobiotic. Continued Tylenol/ Motrin....still very high fever. Friday before Dr. ofc closed I called back and told Dr. beginning to get really scared something is wrong. Dr. said wait it out. FINALLY, Sunday fever broke for 24 hrs and Monday she was able to go back to school. She is absolutely exhausted though everyday after school. I have no problem getting her in bed by 8pm now. She says she is tired all day at school. I think the fever just drew life from her body. She is beginning to recover, but still seems tired. She had around 104 temp for 7 days. I know how you feel. But hopefully in a couple of days it WILL break. Hang in there and hope all is well soon.

Hey A., this will make you feel better. I have a 4 year old boy. He has had this nasty virus now since Wednesday. Today is the first day that he woke up without a fever. It has been 7 days. I did the same, I took him to the doctor twice and they did a strep test and blood work. The fever finally broke sometime last night. He really didn't have many symptoms either besides his head hurting and a little congestion in his chest. Now though he has a runny nose. But seems much better this morning. He seems run down and has little energy. I hope this helps you out. Hang in there it will get better.

1 / 3