Child Custody Battle

I need to vent and some help. I was taking my ex back to court for more child support, he countered with full custody. My daughter is 14 and can decide where she wants to live, and she wants to live with her Dad. How much weight would my daughter have in the decision? I'm in a court that is mom friendly. My ex has a 20yr son who has been drinking since 17, smokes, doesn't have a curfew (or he broke it alot) and has gotten a girl pregnant and isn't taking responsibility for it. Wouldn't that show he's not fit to raise my child? He plays softball 3 times a week on school nights, he goes out of town overnight with his job. If you know of a good family attorney in Fort Worth, please let me know. I would also like your opinion or if I would win.
Thank you so much

I am not sure if you would win or not, but I cannot imagine a judge giving him full custody now. Why has he not filed for it before? Sounds like to me that he just filed so that he would not have to pay more child support. The judge should be able to see that and also she is going to be given to whichever parent will provide a more stable environment for her. If he is gone all the time then she will be free to do whatever she wants (is probably the reason she wants to go and live with him) with you she has rules. She needs rules so you are the best parent trust me one day she will thank you for them. Hang in there and best of luck.

Hi L.. Sorry to hear about your situation. I have an ex of 13 years. We have a 14 year old daughter together. In my situation I have sole custody & she goes to visit him. Our papers say she is to go 1st, 3rd & 5th weekends, every Wednesday night, on a specific day at Christmas, a certain amount of time over the summer, etc., however, in the last few years we haven't followed that schedule. She just goes when she wants to go, which is way less often that what the papers say she is "supposed" to do.

With your situation, the fact that your child is 14 has a lot of weight. The judge will listen to what you and your ex have to say and will likely talk to the child. They judge will listen to reasons why your ex feels like he is a fit parent & why child would benefit more from being with him, the judge will listen to why you feel custody should not change, and then they judge may talk to the child for more info and feedback since it is the child's life.

The fact that there is another child living with the ex who has problems doesn't matter in the custody of your child. Nothing matters unless you can prove beyond a reasonable doublt that your child will be in NEAR DEATH DANGER if your ex gets custody. Don't ask me know I know. I have been dealing with a crazy, violent ex for 13 years now. The most I have ever been able to get is a TRO (temporary restraining order) to keep my daughter safe, but even during times outside of the TRO when he was violent, my daugher still had to go see him becuase he hadn't already nearly killed her.

On the flip side,depending on how long you have had custody of your child, the jugde is not likely to change custody NOW if you have always had custody. The judge is also going to look at stability for the child.

I know a lot of this isn't what you want to hear, but unfortunately that's pretty much how it works.

Good luck with your upcoming court hearings! I wish you the best!

Cary Walker is one of our friends that is an attorney. We've never had to use him professionally. He may be able to recommend a good family law attorney. He is a great guy and a Christian. His wife is a Judge in Fort Worth and she may know a great family law attorney. He was doing divorces and medical malpractice law. Cary Walker is in Fort Worth and I would ask to talk to him and who he could recommend.

We use Pre Paid Legal and have a whole law firm at our reach for questions and for information and it is a monthly service. I would highly recommend it. It is $25 a month and $10 for the legal shield (to help if you are a victim of Identity Theft), however you get your will, power of attorney, medical directives and other important legal paperwork (for emergency puposes, example if you die) as a part of your membership when you sign up. It is a peace of mind knowing we can pick up the phone and not have to worry about how we will pay for it to ask questions/get answers. You do get a discount on legsl services. It will save you some money in the long run. I use to be a sales associate with Pre-Paid Legal, we still have the great membership and it has saved us tons of money! I'm so thankful for Pre-Paid Legal!! If you would like more information on it, I'll be glad to give you my friends names/website that you can check out.

There is a law library that you can go and research more information on your case/child custody issues. The more informed you are, the more you can keep up on things. If you have the time and are able to go, that would be great also. If you can't afford an atty, most people go to the library to research the material themselves there. Good Luck!

You ex's son is 20 so he should be accepting responsilibity for his actions. Only so much of it can be your ex's fault. Children at 14 are very smart and that is why the court allows them to take part in this decision. You didn't list the reasons your daughter has requested to live with her father. If you don't know maybe a good heart to heart will get to the answer. If you don't let her go she will resent you and then you will have a very unruly teenager on your hands. You can stale the court by asking for a counselor to speak with your daughter to find out the reasoning for wanting to change. You don't want to pick the counselor - have the court appoint one so they will be unbiased. If you go in angry and resentful the court will side with your ex so keep your emotions in check. You can use a website on line to find a good family lawyer. www.lawyers.findlaw.com

Unfortunately, at 14, the Court is going to let your daughter decide (he would have to be REALLY unfit). My best advice is to keep a good relationship with your daughter, so that when things don't go well at Dad's, she isn't afraid (or too angry) to come back home. Good luck.

L.,

I am not sure what the law is here...but I have sole custody of my son, my ex pays child support and he tried to take me back to court for custody. In GA, at 14 yrs old the child can make the decision who he/she wants to live with and by what the judge told me, that basically the child can live with whoever he/she desires whether they are a good parent or not. I still have custody of my son.

Just a thought, sorry you have to go through this. Hope everthing works out for the best.

I highly suggest you call either Mark Rosenfield ###-###-#### or James Loveless ###-###-####. Google both of their names and you can read about their certifications. I know people who have used them both and even if your daughter is 14, they may be able to help you and guide you in the right direction. Don't give up. Your daughter may see the freedom the 20 year old has and may think that would be better for her. Let the courts decide. Good luck!

L.,

Custody battles are nasty. My husband and I have been battling it out with his ex for custody of my step-daughter. We now have custody and the mother has supervised visitation. My step-daughter was molested by her mother's boyfriend and Mom did nothing. We have been through hell, but I can tell you it's always worth the fight to make sure your child is in a safe environment. Our attorney Is Weir Wilson, he is in Ft. Worth. The law firm name is Wilson, White & Doby, I believe. He has done a great job for us and I highly recommend him. He's an older man and he has been in family law for a while, so he will give it to you straight. If your daughter has been living with you the majority of her life chances are the court is not going to hand your ex full custody. He may get more visitation. We had to undergo a social study to determine which household was more "fit". I wish you the best of luck. I know these things can be gut-wrenching. Weir Wilson would be the best attorney for your situation, he has a ton of experience.

Sincerely,

1 / 3