Child Coughs Every Night

I have a 4 year old (just turned) and every time I put her to bed she coughs. She could be fine all day but every night she has this cough. It could be right as she goes down or after she has fallen asleep she'll begin to cough. Not sure why this is and if I should be doing something like running the humidifier? When it first happened I gave her a bit of Children's Tylenol but I hate giving medicine if there is no fever. Water helps a little but I don't always do to avoid bed wetting. I just would like to ask if any one knows the reason for this and if it's common and will eventually go away? My 21 month old sleeps in the same room and she does not have this problem. Any thoughts would be appreciative!

Thank you so much for the wonderful advice! I read all of your suggestions and the majority ruled in favor of a possible allergy. She has a doctor appointment on Aug. 12th so I will mention this to her pediatrician. Meanwhile, I'm going to dust her room a lot better, especially the window blinds. Her bedding gets washed regularly including her pillow case. I hope this will help her. Thanks again you wonderful moms!

My daughter started that at about the same age. Call you pediatrician - they put my girl on Singular, and the coughing stopped. She used to wake up at 2:00 am every night. Could be allergy.

Hi G.,
I know you've gotten a lot of responses. I just wanted to add that I have allergies and cough at night too. I use a cold air humidifier and I sleep with my head up on a couple of pillows and keep a cold glass of water next to the bed. Try this too along with testing for the allergies. This should help in the meantime.

Most coughs are caused by post-nasal drip. She may have allergies. My son has allergies as well. I find that giving him a spoonful of honey really works. It helps coat his throat to stop his coughing.. In fact in a clinical trial, honey (specifically buckwheat honey) worked better than dextromethorphan (DM) or no treatment. Besides it is much easier to get them to take honey than medicine :)

The study is published in the December 07 issue of Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, lead author Ian Paul.

Hello G.!!

I would agree with Deanna, it sounds like an allergy. My son is allergic to dust mites. He gets this little cough that sounds like he is just trying to clear his throat. When I hear the "allergy cough" he get a zyrtec:) The first and most important step to reduce dust mites is to cover mattresses and pillows in zippered dust-proof covers. These covers are made of a material with pores too small to let dust mites and their waste product through and are called allergen-impermeable. Wash bedding in hot water weekly. Your little girls spends alot of time in her bed that is the best place to start first. I would also see an allergist and maybe get her tested. This afternoon wash all her bedding and even wash her whole pillow and see if it helps. If you see an improvement go and buy some covers tomorrow:)

-M.

FYI- if your little girl is indeed allergic to dust mites you do not want to add humidity to her room. You should keep humidity levels below 50%. Dust Mites Love Humidity.

G.,

It sounds like she might have allergies, and probably a few simple fixes might help ease it. Check what kind of stuffing is in her pillow and maybe get one that is made of foam, remove all stuffed animals from her bed and bed area (they can habor dust even if they don't look dusty) and wash and change her sheets often. I always run a humidifier in mine and my son's room and that might help too. But, you might also want to invest in a good room air purifier, I love mine.

If she's not sneezing and coughing during the days it's most likely a dust allergy or something in the filling in her pillow or stuffed animals. My sister has to use a foam pillow and sleep on 100% cotton sheets, and this helps her at night.

Tylenol will not help her with her cough, that is strictly for pain relief. If you are concerned you might want to check with her Pedi just to be sure.

she could have post nasal drip, which is worse when you lay down, and would make you cough. Tylenol will do nothing, but allergy medicine will - Claritin, Benadryl, etc.

Obviously, consult your dr.

My Daughter did that, and it was allergies. The Dr. gave her a Rx for some caugh syrup with albuteral(sp) and it help alot. Once her caugh quit it never came back. It was during the summer so I quess she was just allergic to something, and when she whould lay down she would get congested and caugh. Hope this helps, good luck.

Dana
www.scentsy.com/danacarey

actually there is no need for meds even with MOST cases of fever. remember - fever is your friend - first it lets you know something is wrong. second - it helps the body to fight off the intruder and develop immunity. stopping the fever is like plugging the exhaust pipe. Re: the cough – there are several homeopathic remedies that can be helpful for this type of cough. Exact one must be determined by professional homeopath, but you can start with trying out what single remedies you can get in the stores: Lachesis or Grindelia – give her Lachesis 30C right before she goes to bed (2-3 pellets with a little water). Wait for a week. If the cough does not change, but something new comes up, she’ll need another remedy. TBD by the rest of her symptoms.
V.

My daughter had the same thing and her pediatrician diagnosed it as asthma. She's not on daily medicine, but when she coughs like that, she uses her albuterol inhaler and stops coughing. The cough is the indicator that she's not getting enough air. Good luck!

1 / 3