Child Alone for a Root Canal

I was just told my daughter needs 2 root canals.... I feel like such a bad mother! I was also told that I will not be able to be in the room with her. What are my rights as a mother to there for my child? She is 4 1/2 and feel terrible about leaving her alone through this tramatic experience. Please help and send advise. Could I tell the Dentist that I need to be in the room with her?

There is no way they can be allowed to not let you in the room, legally. I mean, I don't know that for a fact, but seriously! With all the "bad things" you hear about nowadays, you have every right to be worried, especially if she is going to be "under". If I were you, I would call around and find a clinic who WILL allow you to be there...

I don't know what the law states, but if a dentist told me that I couldn't be in the room with my 4 1/2 year old - I'd go to a different dentist. I have 2 great dentists. One in Mar Vista and one in Beverly Hills. Write back if you'd like the names.

Why is she needing the root canal, can you tell us?
Is it really necessary?
Perhaps, you can get a 2nd opinion...
Will she be put under local anesthesia or have the "laughing gas" or any other option to "relax" her?

Perhaps, please provide more information...that way the knowledgeable Moms here can offer more advice or experience.

All the best,
Susan

First, you are not a bad mother because your child needs to have two root canals!!! You are taking care of her and having them done. We had a similar situation with the pediatric dentist we had regarding one of us being in the room during a similar procedure. They even wanted us to put our daughter under general anesthesia which meant we had to pay for an anesthesiologist! At the time that was $800, much more now and of course the dentist's fee. We found a new dentist immediately. Our daughter did not need to be sedated under general anesthesia, they gave her laughing gas and she was awake through the entire procedure. The dentist allowed me to stay in the room behind a counter sitting on a stool and my daughter knew I was there. I was not in the way of the dentist or assistant and I just sat quietly, watching them work on my child. It went very quickly and it was a crown for one tooth and a cavity they were filling, at the time she was 3 1/2 years old. She watched a movie on the DVD ceiling screen and we left there as happy as she was before we got there. No tears, a little apprehension, but she knew I was sitting right behind her the whole time and she knew I couldn't be in the way of the dentist because the dentist needed the light to see into her mouth. I was so glad we had changed dentists, no stress for my child or me! Something to note here. You are paying the dentist for the work he/she is doing. In essence they are working for you! If you disagree with how they run their dentist office you have every right to find a new dentist who is more inclined to let you be there. They have the parents leave because it is easier for them to perform their job. No child should be left alone to have this done and the crying usually begins because mom or dad is not there. You do have to step back and let them do their work, but there is no reason you cannot be nearby. I would find a new dentist and wait until you are comfortable. You are probably being told this is something you have to get done immediately, but it can wait a few days to find someone new. Charlotte Roberson, D.D.S. in Northridge is who I used. It's a small ofice off the beaten track recommended by my dentist in Encino who I have gone to for 30 years. Being a woman dentist made the whole thing easier and the women in the office were so sweet and kind. My child was happy and didn't feel a thing and never had a problem again. Don't let the dentist you are going to make you feel uncomfortable. this is your child and you will do what is best. Good luck and remember you don't have to agree to the terms of your current dentist. You have choices.

Hi J.:
I have never heard of a 4 1/2 year old going through root canal work. Not only does this procedure take a considerable amount of time in the chair,but its not exactly cheap either. She would have to have caps put on those,after the root canals. Because she hasn't lost her baby teeth as yet,and still has her adult teeth to come in,I'd think root canals and caps,is going a bit overboard! It won't be that long,before she will be losing those teeth,you payed big bucks to save. I would get a second opinion,before I put my young child through such an ordeal. I'll tell you what J.. My son broke his arm as a teen,then fell on it,while in his cast! He was in excruciating pain.The Doctor had to reset it,and told me he preferred I stayed out of the room.I looked at my son,and asked" Do you want me to stay here with you? He said "Yes mom I do" I looked at the Doctor and told him "I wasn't going anywhere!J.,if you find you must go through with it.You stand firm.Your child depends on you,to be there when she needs your support. That's your daughter,your paying the bill.You tell the Doctor your staying in the room with your daughter or the procedure doesn't get done.: ) I wish you and your lil sweetheart the best. J. M

Is it really necessary?
Perhaps, you can get a 2nd opinion...

All the best,
Susan

J. C

I don't know what the guidelines are here in Nevada, but I do know in California a parent must be present in most cases. However, a root canal is to the best of my knowledge is similar to a surgery and some dentists will allow this. At 4 1/2 your daughter is so young and her teeth are quickly becoming adult teeth. If I were you I would insist on being in the room while he/she is working on my child to be sure that he/she is not screwing up. You could also speak to an attorney and find out what your rights are when dealing with a dentist, since many times it is the dentist's choice to not have parents in during this procedure. I have had a couple of root canals, and they are not all that bad, but with a small child involved I would insist and quote what advice you got from an attorney about this matter. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

DON"T TAKE YOUR CHILD TO THAT DENTIST!!!!!!! STOP

By law, a minor (especially small children) must be accompanied by an adult, parent or guardian... I just had to give a signed consent allowing for my father to be in the room as the adult during my son's recent extraction 2 fridays ago.... IT IS THE LAW...

Take your child to another dentist... I can give you the contact info for our son's child dentist...

YOU HAVE RIGHTS AS A PARENT...

I must warn you, they tie the children down with velcro straps to ensure they don't move... but that's the harshest part...

my son has had 4 root canals... and no that doesn't make you a bad parent... just means they had baby milk teeth that did not last until their regular teeth came out... my son also fell and broke 2 of the 4 front teeth which he had extractions for.

Good luck and let me know if you need that contact info for my son's dentist located in west covina off the 10fwy.

Hello J.. I felt compelled to reply to your post not only because I was a dental assistant many years ago, but also because my first born had a truck load of problems with her teeth. First off, I think 4 1/2 is too young for a root canal, unless, and only unless, the root canals are being performed on her permanent teeth. Secondly, you CAN be in the room with your daughter, however, it is strongly preferred that you not be there. For some reason, having a parent in with the child increases anxiety, and it has been shown that children, even ones that are scared of the dentist, are far more cooperative if their parents are NOT in the room with them. With a parent in the room, the child, whether screaming/crying or not, will always turn to look at the parent. Since the dentist has to be on one side, and the assistant on the other, there really isn't a lot of room for the parent to view in the view of the child, making it difficult for everyone. The dentist has to maneuver around the apunparent, as does the assistant, and like I said, the child is constantly visually "rooting" (for lack of a better word, kind of like breastfeeding lol) for the parent, making them anxious when they are out of reach, even if they are in the room. Like I said, IF this procedure is necessary, meaning it is going to be done on permanent teeth, make sure your daughter is comfortable with the dentist, and that the dentist is one that is familiar with children, if he is not a pediatric dentist. My daughter had the WORST experiece with dentists when she was younger, and cried and had a fit every time we had to go. I finally found a dentist outside of our insurance network that was great with her. I've had to pay out of pocket all these years, but it was worth it to me because she didn't freak out, and loves him and more importantly trusts him, and now will actually get in the car when I say we are going to the dentist! BEST of luck to you!!!

1 / 3