chiggers...in A Bad Place..

so we went camping this past weekend and my daughter was all over the camp site. she was wearing a diaper and pants but chiggers still got her..we've been able to get rid of most of them but the ones around her girl parts..everyones told me to put nail polish on them or bleach but im not too sure about either of those in such a sensitive area. does anyone have any idea how i can get rid of these?

wow! thanks for all the information. ive tried several of the tips...one ive used quite abit is the chiggerex plus. it seems to help the ones shes hasnt scratched. the ones in the diaper area tho are a little tougher. we took her to the pediatrician and found out shes actually allergic to them which is why she started breaking out in huge blisters. her doctor told me that most of the suggestions you ladies gave me where right on (i printed out the page to show her) we had a lot of questions for her for home remedies and just to throw this one in she said the easiest way to get rid of headlice is tea tree oil. put a few drops in your shampoo and it will help prevent them but if your kids actually already have them from school to comb some thru their hair and leave in for 30 minutes and comb out the nits. but the tea tree oil also helps chiggers. and once again thank you soooooo much for all the input i really appreciated it.

You might be able to try either Epson salt sitz bath or oatmeal bath. Both should be sensitive enough for her and the oatmeal if I am not mistaken should dry up those infected areas. You might also try a dab of hemmohroid cream to reduce pain or even A& D ointment. Also, straight zinc( which you can buy at a whole foods or organic foods store might work) Good Luck.

Use - "Preparation H" - apply as soon as you notice chigger bites. I read about this - and it does work!

Chiggers aren't what you think they are. The insect is NOT still there it's their bite she has.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/poison-ivy/SN00022&s...

We love, love, love the out doors. And the chiggers love us. And all of our moist parts. (under arms, back of knees, and both the girly and boyish parts.)

Here is what we do: we take a lukewarm sitz bath with two cups of bleach. just soak in the water for about 20min. or so. Then we keep on hand a cream over the counter med. called ChiggerX. It is a white jar type container with a red lid. Sold at most stores that have OTC drugs and creams. Like Wal-Mart, Walgreen's, CVS, etc... Just put this cream on twice a day or more if you notice your child wanting to scratch. This helps us out faster than anything we tried when we were younger and didn't know about this stuff.

We did the clear nail polish trick also, it helped suffocate the chiggers but it realy took a while to work (weeks). And this cream seems to help us in a day or two.

Good luck. Chiggers are miserable.

Oh here is a trick for mosquitoes bites: put Orajel, or Ambasol on the bit and the itching stops imideatly.

I know you can prevent the prob in the first place by spraying ankles w/ OFF or some other brand! But if your little one is sitting in the grass, etc, the only thing I could think of is a capful of bleach diluted into her bath. READ about doing this first!!! I know that will kill chiggers or ticks. Just in case y'all go again & someone gets into poison ivy...here's the cure:

make a paste w/ Borax powder detergent and a little water.
scrub blisters till they break
rinse/pat dry
rub area w/ roll on deoderant

deter separates the oil that causes the blisters & keeps it from spreading. The roll-on dries up the blisters.

Happy camping! And make sure all contaminated clothes/sheets get washed or stored separately from other laundry...those chiggers spread!!!

Pine-sol! It has something in it that kills them fast, and does not hurt the skin! just dip a Q-tip in the bottle of pine-sol and rub on the skin, they will heal very quickly, and the itch will go away almost immediately! I hate those little buggers! they seem to stick around forever, that's because they actually get under the skin and live there! good luck, trust the pine-sol!

I am originally from the east coast and never experienced chiggers until I came to Texas. I live in the hill country, right outside of Austin, and have chiggers in my yard. I learned the hard way what chiggers do and thus, spent a lot of time researching them so my family will be spared as much as possible from their bites. My husband and I have two daughters, 7 and 3, and take precautions all the time when we go out to either play or work in the yard.

Unfortunately, you can't get rid of a chigger bite. Contrary to popular belief,a chigger doesn't burrow into the skin. Instead, they attach themselves to your skin, inject saliva with digestive enzymes that helps to break down your skin cells, which the chigger drinks. It is these enzymes that cause the itchy rash. They will stay on your body until you get rid of them.

The best thing to do to get rid of any leftover chiggers is to take a warm bath or shower as soon as possible to wash them off your body. If you can't get to a bath or shower immediately after being exposed out in the yard or woods, spray rubbing alcohol on your legs ASAP and this will kill any that are still on your legs (before they reach the areas with a band, such as underwear, diapers, etc.).

The best remedy that I found to relieve the itching from the bites is topical Benadryl. Works like a charm and it takes the itch away fast! I use it on myself and my kids. Forget the nail polish advice...

For future reference, spray insect repellant on your shoes, socks, legs, etc. before going out. When I go out in the yard to do any yard work, I spray enough repellent (like Off) on my shoes and socks until they are somewhat wet. For my kids, I use an Avon insect repellent that doesn't contain DEET. The other thing you can do is to dust your shoes and socks with powder sulphur, which I find at a my local "Natural Garden" store. I buy this in big bags. My husband spreads this sulphur powder around the main areas of our yard and walkway to keep the chiggers under control in those areas. This powder sulphur is safe for people and pets.

I have always wondered why God made chiggers...not sure what their real purpose in life is...

Hope this helps!
Dripping Springs, TX

Whenever we have been around chiggers, we always strip down and spray our entire body with OFF (or another bugspray), wait 10 minutes and then shower off with very warm water. Works every time.

1 / 3