Chest Pain in 4 Year Old Daughter

Last week my 4 year old daughter was complaining of horrible chest pain, she could hardly move, she was doubled over, and she said it hurt when she breathed. She also had a fever. I gave her a TUMS earlier in the day wondering if it was heartburn but it didn't help. I also gave her Tylenol and it helped her fever some. I ended up taking her in to the ER because she kept complaining and the pain wasn't going away, kinda weird for a 4 year old. At the ER, they first said she had an irregular heartbeat (she had an innocent heart murmur when she was 2), they did a chest xray and an EKG and said that everything was fine. So, I guess my question is, has anyone else had a child with chest pain, and what was the diagnosis? They sent her home and said just to watch her and that the pain was coming from the chest wall. The next day she was kinda out of it, but has since then bounced back.

How does she react to wheat products? When I was younger I would get horrible chest pains and it seemed to be after I ingested wheat. I would get her a blood test CBC for Celiac disease.

I know that my daughter gets heartburn from time to time and when she was younger she was put on meds for it. She would just say that it hurts and points to wear it hurt. Heartburn and that run in her family on her dad's side and can be passed on. I only have heartburn when I am pregnant and have been getting it now. This is the worse I've ever had it where I am throwing up and double over with pain, crying. I have gotten a fever with it as well as some back pain that only comes when the heartburn comes. You may want to talk to your childs doctor about it, it could be heartburn and they may put her on something or run tests of their own to know what is going on.

Good Luck.

Hello J., Go to the records dept. at the hospital and request copies of all of her records including the EKG. With all of that in hand, talk to her regular doctor about it. If you get no answers then consult with a specialist. Don't stop until you get your questions answered. Remember, the squeeky wheel gets the oil, so keep squeeking! Good luck, and happy holidays.

If my 4 year old complained of chest pain, I would take her to the pediatrician. The thing is about ER doctors they don't specialize in any one field, especially children. If she had an innocent heart murmur (I'll be honest I am not clear as to what that means) when she was 2, I definitely would be going to the pediatrician, and maybe a heart specialist.

My intention is not to scare you, but I feel it is better to be safe than sorry.

I hope everything goes well!

J. -
What a scary experience for your daughter - I have had this same pain as has my friends daughter who is 15. I thought I was having a heart attack so went to the ER. all tests came back fine - blood work, ekg, x-rays - so they ended up calling it some long medical term - basically the muscle between the ribs was inflammed, so when I breathed (especially deep breath) the rib cage expanding made those muscles expand causing pain. They told me to rest, use advil for pain, no heavy lifting for a couple of weeks. It did eventually go away.
My friends daughter, ended up having a virus that had settled in the muscles between the ribs and she was not allowed to do sports, run etc for several weeks. She is better now and has been released to do sports, but she said it still hurts some if she really gives 100% at baskeball.
Hope this helps some and that your daughter gets to feeling better.
P.

It could be Pleurisy (sp?) which is an inflamation of the lungs. I would follow up with your pediatrician, even if she is feeling better.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/understanding-pleurisy...

I would strongly suggest making an appt with your pediatrician. From there I would request a referral to see a pediatrician cardiologist. It doesn't hurt to be extra cautious.

I would definetly follow up with your Ped Dr. And maybe get a second opinion. In my opinion you dont want to mess around with kids and their hearts. Keep a close eye on her too.

1 / 3