Chest Pain at 27? - Des Moines,IA

Hi ladies,
My husband is 27 years old. He stresses so much about work and said the other day he is worried about his health because he was feeling chest tightness he believes is due to stress. This is saying a lot if he acknowledges a problem and is concerned. What can this be and what should we do?

A bit of background info: he works for a financial company doing IT work. In the last few months he has been putting in lots of extra hours as he has been put on top of a difficult project. Even in all other work situations tough he puts much stress on himself where he doesn't need to. He is a perfectionist and gets "obesessed" with projects of any sort and really struggles to tell himself to take it easy or when something really isn't THAT important. Think high school student freaking out about not getting an a+ in everything! And I find it strange because his work isn't life or death, its not even like his job is on the line or anything like that. He just likes to suceed and likes to impress....when he doesn't meet up to his own standards it causes him so much stress. He knows he does this but can't figure out how to change his mindset.

Get him to a cardiologist-it may be anxiety-but you need to know-believe it or not-a 27 yr old can have a heart attack.

He needs to see a doc. It could be his heart....or stress....or something else. We're not doctors. He needs to see one!

There are a lot of causes of chest pain, some indicative of serious conditions while others are much more minor. Chest pain can be caused by heart issues, lung issues, stress, indigestion, gall bladder etc. It is probably a good idea for your husband to get it checked out. If it is due to stress, they might be able to give him an anti anxiety med to get him through this stressful period. If it is caused by indigestion or stomach issues, maybe the pain can be alleviated by changes in diet. At any rate, chest pain can be scary! And if the cause is stress, the pain is likely to cause more stress (vicious cycle!). I hope he finds out what the cause is and figures out some way to work through it. Good luck!

Anxiety and stress affect people differently.

Since he's a hard-core type-A personality - I would make an appointment with his doctor - for a full physical - blood work and all.

hear attacks can happen at ANY age...seriously...not trying to scare you - but it does happen.

So get him in. Get him checked out.

Have him talk to the doctor about his anxiety/perfectionist/stress and see if there are some techniques that he can learn to combat the self-inflicted stress.

It would be good for a doctor to check him out just to put his mind at rest.
Not every chest pain is a heart attack.
It's important to balance ones work life with an outside of work hobby that you enjoy.
Some guys fish, hunt, golf, go bowling, ride bikes, run/jog, make bird houses (work with wood), make stained glass lamps - you get the idea - something physical and/or mentally stimulating that helps you step back from your work mindset for awhile.
Something that helps you step away from work can rest you in ways (even if it exhausts you) that help so that you can step back into it with a renewed vigor.
I think something physical will be good in helping with his stress levels.

Start with calling the family doctor to get a diagnosis. He will probably do an EKG and decide whether you need a referral to a cardiologist.

If he agrees it is stress related......An anti-anxiety medication might help your husband. Does he exercise? Exercise helps to relieve stress. However, if when he exercises, he feels short of breath or the chest pain increases..... then get to the doc ASAP.

He needs to see an internal med doc or a cardiologist. He needs some blood work and some tests and a good talk or 2 with someone on managing stress. His HR dept. may have a list of professionals he can see.
A few yrs ago my husband (also a type A+ person) was working on a huge project and was very stressed. His blood pressure was very high and he put on a lot of weight. He had to check in with the company nurse 2 x's a week for a couple months to get his b.p. checked. If it was too high, she would send him home!!!
I finally talked him into changing docs. The other one he had was a blooming idiot and never got to the bottom of any issues and had horrible follow-up. In 2 weeks, my husband has an appt with an internal medicine doctor. When you think about it, as we age, we are more likely to need a doc who knows and understands all about the inside of the body and all it's systems. This is one reason we are changing from a family med doc to internal med as our PCP.

My husband and I both deal with anxiety issues. Before our wedding (at age 26), he ended up in the e.r. b/c of chest pain. Anxiety.
I ended up in the e.r. at 27 b/c of rapid heartrate (125bpm) that went on for a week! Ekg and all tests were normal. Anxiety.
It sucks. Really bad, but it's something that you have to learn to deal with and manage. Have him talk to his doc and see what they can't work out. I've chosen meds in the past, but don't like being on them so I'm personally working on it through prayer and lifesyle changes.

1 / 3