We always have the following on our travel list with our daughter:
- Tylenol (or whatever your child takes)
- At least 2 bottles/sippy cups
- Something for them to suck on during plane landings (bottle, pacifier, sippy cup, whatever)
- Baby books to look at and read at bed time
- A favourite toy/object
- Diapers/wet wipes/rash ointment for the plane
- Kleenex (travel packs that you can easily stuff in your pocket, purse and carry-on
- Snacks for the plane
Those are the items we NEVER forget. Now that our daughter is 4yrs old, we make a game out of what will be in her backpack every time we travel. We put new books, colouring items, little toys, etc. and she gets to check them out when we get to our gate. We still bring snacks with us (dried things like crackers, dried fruit, fruit leather, popcorn, etc.) We usually buy a bottle of water in the airport once we get thru security for her so we don't have to ask the flight attendants to bring one every 5 minutes. And we always bring lolly pops these days to ease her landing experience with her ears. If she asks for one, we give her one...but only if she asks. Oddly, sometimes she won't remember, and she doesn't seem to have ear problems all the time. So, that's good.
Good luck! And enjoy the trip!