Checklist for Traveling with a 10 Month Old

My husband and I will be traveling with our daughter in three weeks and I was wondering if anyone had a check list or advise for traveling with a 10 month old. We are going to visit our in-laws and they will have a car seat, stroller, crib all set up. We will bring our Ergo baby carrier. Any thoughts and suggestions will greatly help. We don't know what to expect.

My daughter is 14 mo old and we have been on 4 road trips and 4 plane rides, she travels well. Take the crib mirror for the car so she can play with that, CD's , a small blanket to let her stretch out on breaks (if you're driving) or on the plane floor. Take disposable rubber gloves (medical from Rite Aid or food ones from Smart & Final) if you are driving and have to change a poopy diaper with no access to running water. Plastic bags for dirty clothes/diapers, plenty of food/spoons etc. Have fun!

Don't forget to bring some ziploc bags for any stinky diapers you might have to change on the plane.

I usually just pack enough diapers and food to last us through the plane ride and the first day of travel. The once we get to our destination I seek out the nearest Target or Wal Mart and buy enough stuff for the remainder of our trip. That cuts down on our luggage.

Since you will be staying with your in laws, you won't have to pack as much clothing and blankets, etc. since you can wash clothes there. I would bring some of your own detergent and fabric softener if your in laws use something different.

Also, with the formula on the plane....pre-mix the formula as they won't allow you to bring any water bottles through security. But they will allow formula bottles and juice bottles for the baby. You can also bring baby food in jars and all the snacks you can fit into your carryon.

Speaking of carryons....I highly reccomend using a back pack style diaper bag to hoist around all the baby stuff.

When you check in, ask for the bulk head seats as they have more leg room. And try not to get the seats right by the bathroom....yuck!

Have fun!

We always have the following on our travel list with our daughter:
- Thermometer
- Tylenol (or whatever your child takes)
- At least 2 bottles/sippy cups
- Something for them to suck on during plane landings (bottle, pacifier, sippy cup, whatever)
- Baby books to look at and read at bed time
- A favourite toy/object
- Diapers/wet wipes/rash ointment for the plane
- Kleenex (travel packs that you can easily stuff in your pocket, purse and carry-on
- Snacks for the plane

Those are the items we NEVER forget. Now that our daughter is 4yrs old, we make a game out of what will be in her backpack every time we travel. We put new books, colouring items, little toys, etc. and she gets to check them out when we get to our gate. We still bring snacks with us (dried things like crackers, dried fruit, fruit leather, popcorn, etc.) We usually buy a bottle of water in the airport once we get thru security for her so we don't have to ask the flight attendants to bring one every 5 minutes. And we always bring lolly pops these days to ease her landing experience with her ears. If she asks for one, we give her one...but only if she asks. Oddly, sometimes she won't remember, and she doesn't seem to have ear problems all the time. So, that's good.

Good luck! And enjoy the trip!

Cheers, C.

You probably already know this but just in case...if you're flying, the pressure can be uncomfortable for the baby when the plane goes into the air and when it lands. Schedule the breast or bottle for when the plane actually seriously starts moving. It really helps.
G.

Make sure you take a change of clothes for YOURSELF on the plane or in the car, cuz you will smell pretty nasty if she vomits all over you and then you have to sit on the plane for another 2 hours! : )

Have fun! My daughter has her own frequent flier miles and at 2 years old she's a travel pro!

At 10 months old babies are still very good on flights. My girls started flying at 10 weeks old and we have been everywhere. It gets hard when they are toddlers. Take some never before seen age appropriate toys. Nurse or give a bottle on take off an landing chances are she will fall asleep at the humming noise of the plane. Just take your time going through security and do not let anyone rush you. take an extra change of clothes and depending on which airline you travel on the bathrooms have changing tables above the toilets (very cool!).

Enjoy, stay relaxed and remember that she is a baby and babies are really easy. Especially only one baby.

Hi R.,

Looks like many Mom's have your question covered. I was just sending along my own experience. I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter and have been traveling with her since she was only a month old. We would always bring her carseat and stroller with us, just to help out through the airport. There were many times that we were able to switch our seats so we could use the carseat on the plane without having to pay extra for it. Sometimes if you ask the people at the gate before the flight takes off, they can tell you if the flight is full or not. If it's not, they might be accomodating enough to move you around. It is so much easier to have the child secured in their carseat. From experience, my daughter would almost always sleep through the entire flight if she was in her carseat. Now that she is older we have to buy a seat for her, but even now, she sleeps most of the flight.

If traveling by car make sure you bring toys that your child is familiar with. A favorite stuffed animal works wonders. I have also traveled my car, as well as train with my daughter quiet often. We went on a midwest trip where we were on the road for over 1300 miles and my daughter was 9 months old. She did wonderfully. She slept most of the time we were on the road.

If she uses a pacifier make sure you bring extras. I don't know how many of them I lost while on a trip and how frantic I was to find the right ones while we were in unfamiliar areas.

I hope this helps at least ease some anxiety you might have about traveling with your daughter. Enjoy your trip and have fun!!

can your inlaws also get a baby swing? maybe just borrow it from a neighbor or get one for cheap at a second hand baby store like 'once upon a child'.... also, don't forget to take some baby meds & your childs immunization card & notes for any allergies your girl may have. have fun! p.s. you may need to check w/the airline if you can bring formula (and also on the meds) on the plane, since they contain liquid.

1 / 3