Cheap Meals... - Olathe,KS

Okay moms, I need your ideas please. What are some meals that are $5 to $10 per dinner for a family of five. Yes, I know that is low, but honestly it is all we can afford right now. My husband works full time and pays all the house/car bills and I work 4 1/2 hours a week because that is all can get. I was laid off in 2008 and still have not found another full time job. I have applied a million places and still have not been hired except for my part time job once a week. Anyway, any ideas would be great! Thanks!!

I love rice and beans (dried pinto beans.) You can dress them up any way you want and their cheap and yummy. You can make spanish rice and beans with salsa and cheese toppings and serve with corn chips. Or you can make chili or refried beans by smashing them up and making tostadas. You can also make soup. You can use one can of chicken, in water with onions, garlic, carrots, frozen veggies or fresh, with noodles and seasoning. You can serve it with tortillas, corn bread, bread or corn chips. A little bit goes a long way! I hope this helps.

Tater Tot Casserole.....you can find the recipe online with different variations. It may not look like it feeds allot but its really filling!
Also if you like Cabbage.....

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cabbage-and-Smoked-Sausage-P...

My girls and I are mostly vegetarian (we do eat fish) and my hubby doesn't totally abstain from meat but he only eats it occasionally. I spend a lot of our food dollars on high quality fish once or twcie a week but honestly the true veggie only meals are just naturally very cheap.
Try forgoing the meat more often and you will save $$$ as well as serve more healthy and world friendly meals.
I cook a big pot of dry black beans with garlic, hot sauce, S & P, splash of OJ. It's good for a side dish with tortillas, quesadillas, fish or shrimp tacos, burritoes etc. Then a couple days later I puree the leftover beans in the food processor and we have veggie totadas with them. Lettuce, toms, corn tortillas and any other toppings you like. There are usually still leftover beans and I freeze them for lunch burritoes or snacks. I bet all 3-4 meals come in under $10 and the homemade beans are so much better than canned. Cheap meals I also do are...
Veggie burgers and homemade potato salad
Tofu dogs and homemade cole slaw
A million types of pasta (it's always inexpensive w/o meat)
Make your own pizza night w/homemade crust, YUM
Veggie tacos
Homemade chili or soup
Breakfast for dinner
Lasagna w/any veggies you have on hand (always make two and freeze)
Just try your favorites with out the meat and you'd be surprised and how much cheaper it is.

I buy split chicken breast for $1.19 per lb, a family pack is less around $5, it would easily feed your family of 5 and you'd probably have leftovers to use for chicken sandwiches, quesodillas etc the next day. I traditionally find chicken to be the cheapest meat - cheaper than ground hamburger and healthier as well! I find chicken legs - $.99/lb and leg quarters - $.79/lb.
Bake @375 for 45min legs, 1hr leg quarters and 1hr 15 min for split breasts. Rub with evoo or butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper and put in oven.
Sometimes I find good deals on pork too - a whole pork loin for $8-9 could be used for 2 meals for your family.

Frozen veggies are cheap - peas, green beans. Fresh good deals are carrots, potatoes and usually broccoli, cauliflower and green cabbage. Rice is cheap
Lg can of Tomato juice with cooked elbow macaroni =homemade spaghetti O's
Buy box mac and cheese and add in some tuna and froz peas.

We call our favorite meal "mexican crocpot." Dump 2 cans of corn, 2 cans of black beans, some chicken breasts, and then a jar of salsa. Let it cook all day. (I put the breasts in frozen.) Shred the breasts, it goes a looong way like that. Dump some shredded cheese in before serving and let it melt. Eat it on tacos, over rice, in enchiladas, etc.

Also if you like Cabbage.....

I was going to suggest dried beans & rice as well :0) What about chicken legs, they can be baked in the oven with spices that you already have and pair nicely with just about anything. I would google Depression meals (you know as in the Great Depression) that shoud give you some ideas.

Check out this site:

http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/2009/01/65-cheap-hea...

The meals have been well researched, tried, and passed the test of being tasty.

My faves:

Red Beans and Rice
Bean and Cheese Burritos
Tacos
Ma Po Tofu (this is tofu simmered in a curry sauce, sauteed veggies, served over rice)
Soup, salad and rolls

Buy all your meats and veggies on sale, your fruits in the bag, and plan your meals around that, plus what's in season.

Also, do you have any seniors in your family? A lot of senior centers receive huge deliveries of wonderful breads, and they just bring them home and pass out to their families.

Actually, that seems high to me. I have a lot of recipes that are cheap and easy if you message me your email address, I will be happy to send it to you or anyone else that wants it.

We are a family of 5 also and we like tostadas. A pack of 24 premade shells are like $2.00, a can or two of refried beans ($1) some lettuce and shredded cheese and you are good to go. EVERYONE loves them and they are basically no cook too!

I buy everything on sale at the store and I don't use coupons. Like if there are a pack or two of chicken legs on clearance, then guess what we are having for dinner that night??? I build my menu around what I bought on sale. Good luck!!!

1 / 3