Charity Donations Instead of Birthday Gifts.

Hello all,
One of my kids will turn 5 soon. I am looking for a charity to ask our guests giving donations instead of birthday gifts. I think a 5 yr old kid would understand donating toys, books rather than money. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated esp in Dallas area - helping other kids...
Thanks

I found this idea tempting as we have too many toys. Children don't really get this until they are at least 8 and usually older. I would wait as children love giving and getting presents. My friend forced this issue and her child doesn't want to give even broken toys to charity now.
If you do, Ronald McDonald house could use some books and new toys.

My daughter was invited to a party and we were asked to bring in canned goods for a local shelter. This was a nice gesture, but the girl was turning 5. We did not know the family well (it was a child in my daughter's class). I felt the obligation to bring canned goods AND a gift. I sort of felt like it was unfair for this child to get no gifts for their b-day....mind you, I know most of our children NEED nothing!!! But, she was just turning 5, so I think that's a little young to say you get nothing and we are only giving.

I am 100% for charity. We buy new toys each year that my kids help pick out for Toys for Tots and other organizations. I want them to feel the joy in helping others, but I also want them to have the fun of opening a couple gifts on their special day.

Not tacky at all! Great idea! I mean, you're going to bring a gift to a party anyway. I don't get what's tacky about asking for a gift to be donated.

We've been to several parties where we've brought a gift to be donated instead of a gift to the birthday kid. It's nice to be able to help the less fortunate, and I think it teaches the kids a great lesson.

For one party we brought wrapped books that went to a children's charity overseas. I can't remember the name of it. Another party we brought items for pets and the girls took them to the local county animal shelter and volunteered their time there for an hour. For another we brought a stuffed animal and it was donated to a local children's hospital.

Enjoy your party!

I think asking charity in lieu of gifts is highly tacky and offensive!! It is making assumptions that are not appropriate. If you want to donate the gifts your 5 year old will receives once the party is over great...let your child keep the one that's his/her favorite and donate the rest to charity, goodwill, toys for tots, hospital or daycare center all tax deductible.

I like Michelle M's post. Great idea! Also, if the guests are wanting specifics on gift ideas what does your child really need??? new pants, shoes that extra train to complete the set you have at home?

i think this can be very well incorporated into a family-based attitude of giving. you can be clear on the invitations that the gifts will be donations and the family can give the child some gifts privately. a donation party doesn't mean the kid is being denied the joy of presents, it's just changing the focus. i think it's cool.
i would let the child pick the charity. something in line with his interests. if he's a sports fan it could be sporting equipment for underprivileged kids, or horse treats for a local rescue, that sort of thing.
khairete

None of my kids have been invited to such a party. I would still send a gift for the birthday child. It would just seem rude not to. Just because you said not to bring a gift, my child would still be bringing one. It feels to me that 5 is too young to really understand this. I think there are other times than the child's birthday to teach about charity. A birthday party is really about celebrating the child's birthday.

Why not have your guests bring wrapped, new gifts and then you and your child take them to the local shelter...to be used as gifts for the youngsters there? Or maybe school supplies for the activity room there?
Or specifically ask for new stuffed animals and then you and your child take them to the police department...most police officers carry a couple of stuffed animals in their car to be used for young children who are being taken away from their parents or are traumatized by something that has occured.
Whatever you do...involve your child in the delivery of the gifts...so that he can see where the gifts are going to be used. And congratulations on teaching your children a very valuable lesson in being generous and thoughtful towards others who are less fortunate.

I agree with others regarding waiting until your little one is a bit older and able to truly understand. Until then, just have a quiet family party w/o gifts. 5 is really young to expect altruism.

1 / 3