Chapter Books for a 7Yr Old Girl

Can anyone recommend chapter books for my 7yr old daughter? She feels completely intimidated when she sees how many pages are in these books and doesn't want to read them . Her school requires her to read a chapter book a week and quiz on them but I'm running into walls trying to get her to complete ONE book :)

Any help is appreciated :)

Thanks for your suggestions,

Thank you all for the great responses! We visited Barnes & Nobles and picked up some beginning chapter books that she thought were interesting. I also took her to the library this weekend and she checked out Arthur & the scare your pants off club. So far she has read 3 chapters in a day and is very excited to take her book EVERYWHERE!!!!! I guess reading one page and having her read the other makes it more fun for her so she's really enjoying this and is very excited about reading!!!! Thank you all so very much :)..I have made a list of all the books you all have suggested so that in the future (hopeful near future) we can check those out at the library and continue reading & loving it :)
~J.

I am sorry if I am repeating anything that's already been listed, but I would recommend the following (all of which I started reading around that age, with some help):

Little House on the Prairie series
Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, The Trumpet of the Swan (all by E.B White)
Anything by Beverly Cleary - Beezus and Ramona, etc.

Try just getting her think about completing one chapter at a time, so it's not so overwhelming. Hopefully she will get engrossed enough in the story to want to see what comes next and end up finishing the book.

My son loves Catwings. Maybe take her to the library and have the librarian show her all the chapter books. Let her peruse through them and pick out ones that look interesting to her! My son will only willingly read the ones that interest him. Right now he loves Ramona books.

Junie B. Jones books are so funny and my daughter loved them at that age! We have them all and I'm saving them for when my 3 year old gets old enough to read them.

Try the Junie B. Jones collection from Scholastic. The chapters are short and fun to read. They are about the adventures of a little girl at school and home.

Has she tried the Magic Tree House books?

Little House on the Prairie series

Rainbow Magic Fairy books are great for girls that age. They are "thin" with more pictures than a typical chapter book. They have sets of 7, like the Pet Fairies, the Dance Fairies, etc. and they tell a story about how 2 girls help the fairies.

These are the ones my 6yr old loves:

Nate the Great (mystery)
Cam Jansen (mystery)
Junie B. Jones (comedy-she just started liking these)
Henry & Mudge (the also have Puppy Mudge)
Fluffy (guinea pig that's really funny)

Fluffy and Henry & Mudge aren't that long of chapter boods maybe 30 pages or so. Most of the kids in my daughters class read all but the Junie B Jones, because she is a little longer than the others. My favorites are Nate, Junie, and Fluffy because they all have comedy in them to make them interesting.

edited**just read one of the other posts about your child reading one page and then you the other. i heard one of the teachers telling a mother to do this with her child because he didn't like reading the longer books either. and then she said to have her child read the last 3 pages by himself. i think that's a good idea. and also the Mr. Putter books are being read in my daughters class.

My daughter took off with Ivy and Bean after being intimidated. It helped that we told her the "secret" that grown ups read right before turning off the light at night and told her we thought she was ready. It hasn't replaced our family bedtime stories, so it's something that's just hers. Bailey Elementary books (pretty thin) are also favorites. She likes Judy Moody and the rainbow magic fairies too. It depends on personality. Let her read just the first couple of pages of a bunch of books until she finds something she likes!

1 / 3