Chapped Skin Under Son's Nose

My 2 year old son is sick with a really runny nose and sore throat/ cough. The doctor said it is just a mild case of the flu. Anyway, my son hates when even one little drop of snot starts coming out of his nose, so he is asking me to wipe his nose all the time, which is cute, but the skin below his nose is becoming very red and raw. I was using the "boogie wipes" from Walmart, but I ran out quick, so I've been using baby wipes, which I know is probably adding to the problem. But I am going to pick up some more "boogie wipes" and soft tissues today. Is there something to put on the skin to help it heal and to prevent it from getting worse? This is his first major cold, so this has never happened before. Thanks, moms.

Thanks! Picked up some lotion tissues and vaseline today. I put some vaseline on during his nap, and I was surprised after only 2 1/2 hours it looked so much better!

We have this problem often - my son rubs and rubs until it is raw (he's 3-5). We use Aquafor and vaseline constantly when it is red. We at times resorted to putting a band aid under his nose at bedtime to keep him from rubbing over night.

Try Baby Aquaphor. Mild and seems to soothe.

One thing I used to do with my little ones is use an old washcloth--soft. I kept it damp with warm water. It didn't make little noses so sore with all the wiping. That was in the day waaaayyy before boogie wipes and soft tissues. Otherwise, a soft all-cotton t-shirt (jersey knit) makes a great wiper. This is coming from a grandma/mom of five, so give it a try!

My guess would be a good dab of Vaseline or Aquaphor under his nose. It should help protect the skin from his "schnootzie," and because it has no fragrance, not make him sneeze.

T. :)

Try Burt's Bees Res-Q ointment or Burt's Bees miracle salve.

My daughter has had several runny noses. I use Boudreaux's Baby Kisses, it works like a charm. I purchased it from Target. It is also great for little dry faces in the winter.

HI -- Put a baby-safe lotion under his nose regularly! That has helped with my guy. Good luck!

Baby wipes have alcohol which is probably making the problem worse (dries the skin out). I'd get some tissues with lotion to help rehydrate the skin.

Please don't use Carmex! It's intended to dry out cold sores and will make the dry, chapped skin worse. It's a great product, but it's not good for your situation.

I'd recommend putting some Aquaphor or another good, thick lotion on in a thin layer that won't bother him to help keep it hydrated. Our 3 year-old has always sucked his thumb, and it chaps badly in the winter. Our pediatrician recommended Aquaphor as it's safe if they get it in their mouths.

Do you have any A&D ointment? My 15 month old's face is very sensitive and gets very red and breaks out anything time he drools when teething (which is a lot). i would put the A&D ointment ( or vaseline if that's all i had at the time ) and the A&D oint ment works great. I did talk to his doctor and said that was fine to do.

My daughter has the same problem when she gets a cold. I usually use Carmex. She doesn't really like the feel of it, (it feels kinda warm and tingly), but if I put it on at night before she goes to bed, she's usually much better by morning. I've tried other things, but this seems to work the best.

Sorry your little guy is filling ill. Try to use the suction bulb to get rid of some of it as he allows. Humidifier in the house and in his room can help with clear fluids. Also, use tissues with lotion and avoid baby wipes unless they're alcohol and scent free so not to irritate anymore than necessary. After his bath, before nap and bed time are the best times to add Medicated Blistex. It's going to be the same irritation you get from chapped lips. Just be sure it's dry before applying and keep applying as often as possible.

K. B
mom to 5 including triplets

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HarrisburgPAChat
chat and events within 2 hour radius

Puffs Plus tissues work for us. They have lotion in them, so they don't dry out the skin. At bedtime, put a little Vaseline on the sore area. You'll notice a difference the very next morning!

Vaseline will do the trick. It protects the skin and helps it heal. I put it on my daughters when they have colds and it helps their red noses feel better right away.

Desinex makes a skin barrier (it's in the regular diaper cream section) that is clear and designed to be a barrier between skin and moisture. My little girl always has her tongue out so the skin around her lips becomes very chapped...this has helped A LOT, especially in the winter.

Everyone's lotion suggestions are great and would probably work wonderfully. I do the same thing, but I use shea butter instead... just another option! Hope the little one if feeling better soon!

L. - use a little bit of Neosporin and it should clear right up -)

Hi L. T, I strongly suggest either Aquaphor or Neosporin ointment w/ pain reliever. Also, to wipe his constantly running nose, use cloth diapers or burp cloths. They absorb the snot faster and usually you can just dab it instead of wiping. Both Aquaphor and Neosporin ointment(not cream)create a barrier between the snot and his skin and both actually HEAL the skin as well. The Neosporin w/ pain reliever will numb a sore nose which could be very soothing especially for bedtime. They are also clear and odorless. Good luck!
Jenn P.

sounds weird but works great I use diaper rash cream. it clears it in a few hours.

Carmax works great as well. I've used it before with colds with my daughter, she tends to lick her upper lip when she's not feeling well.

Completely healed it up in 2 days.

Good luck and I hope he is feeling better soon!

Most herbalists make something for healing tender children's skin. If you have a local herbalist, see what she has. The one I make is called Baby Butt Balm, and is great for skin all over. It's apricot and olive oils infused with calendula and lavender, solidified to a soft salve with filtered beeswax. Whatever you select, just be certain that it doesn't contain any petroleum products.

I have always used Vaseline with a qtip.... But I know Aquaphor by Eucerin works really well too... Either way slather it on before bed, give a binky... and best of luck...

Aquaphor is the BEST for healing any type of raw skin. You can get at any drugstore, Wal-Mart etc..
Good LUck

You can try a little bit of A&D ointment or neosporin

I use Aquafor on my son for anything from diaper rash to cuts and scrapes. it helps heal the skin, and it protects the skin from moisture. hope this helps your lil guy feel better.

The easiest thing to do is coat the area with Aquaphor (or Vaseline). It is not medicated and will make a nice protective seal on his skin while helping it heal.

I always used vitamin E oil when my boys had this problem. You can buy vitamin E capsules and poke a hole in them and squirt a little oil out. A little goes a long way. Hope you son feel better soon.

I put petroleum jelly on before bed and nap and that helps a lot. If it's really bad you might want to try putting it on every time you wipe his nose.

WOW you got alot of responses. I definately vote for AQUAPHOR!! Also try the saline nasal drops that should help with the runny nose and also a humidifier in this bedroom at night will help! GOOD LUCK

Chapstick or vaseline will work. My son just hates the way it feels and besides, while they're awake, it gets wiped off constantly. Go into his room once he's sleeping and slather it on so it can work for about 10 hours at a stretch! Lotion tissues and a humidifier are good bets.

Try vaseline/petroleum jelly. Rub a little on after every nose swipe. You might want to get one of the little tubes of it just for him and this flu episode that way nobody else uses it and gets the flu!

Aquaphor is the best ointment ever to heal chapped or sore skin or lips. Every drug store sells it. Use it sparingly.

T. :)

I use vaseline. My son hates it but I put alot on a night when he goes to bed. That's the only thing that doesn't burn to take the redness/rawness out.

my 5 yr old is the same way.when they go to bed at night put neosporin on it!!!!!i am going through that now with my 8 month old they both have sinus infections

Dear L.,
I would use A&D Ointment on a q-tip when he goes to sleep. Hopefully that will do the trick.
Happy Halloween,
E.

LANOLIN! The cream that they give to breast feeding moms, it is the best 'chapstick' on earth! One of the ob nurses told me that when I was having my second baby and my little girl was there with really chapped lips. It coats the skin to protect it, but also helps it heal. A little bit goes a long way!

L., I would be very careful what you are putting on your little ones face. go to www.safecosmetics.com and look up the products you are using or thinking of using, and check out their safety level. I have chosen to go green and watch very closely what goes on and in my kids, as well as myself.
Here is what I use, http://www.linkbee.com/toxic12 or another link is http://linkbee.com/THRIVE Good luck with your special little person!
Happy Holloween