Chantix Vs. Zyban

So . . . I am thinking about quitting smoking. I have "tried" in the past, but mostly without any intervention. I did try the patch a few years ago and that didn't do the trick. I have done oral fixation replacement, getting rid of anything related to smoking, having my house professionally cleaned, etc., etc. So, I figured maybe it is time to try the medication route.

I know people swear by one or the other of these. I also know that I have to talk to my doctor about any other medications I am currently taking and that my eliminate one or both of these options. But, if I do get the greenlight to start taking one of these, what has been your experience? I think my biggest worry is the insomnia/sleeping issues. I suffer from insomnia (I don't take anything for it) and anything that would make it worse, is pretty scary for me. I have learned to live on less than 5 hrs a night, but I don't think it would be healthy for me to lose anymore (not that smoking is remotely healthy for a person, but you get my drift). I also worry about appetite suppressing. I rarely eat enough as it is and cannot afford to lose any more weight right now (summer is a tough time for me). I do not have an eating disorder other than my brain really doesn't relay "hungry" messages very well so I have to eat on a schedule. I understand that there can be some mood changes with either of these drugs, but I do not suffer from depression or other psychiatric issues, so I suppose I am have as much risk with that as the average person.

Any thoughts to which one is good to start with?

I smoked for 16 years. I quit with hypnosis. My dad is a hypnotist. www.calviclinic.com. I personally have heard really bad things about Chantix side effects. If I were you, I would try hypnosis....no toxic side effects. Good luck! I have been done smoking for almost 4 years now and it is such a freeing feeling! I wish the best for you!

My husband tried Zyban (as Wellbutrin) and it didn't work for him, so he tried Chantix and was a raging lunatic after one week. He had to stop taking it. Thankfully, that one week was enought to trick his brain into thinking cigarettes are nasty and he quit anyway. My father has tried both a couple of times and while he has no ill side effects, it doesn't work for him. Of course, I don't think he wants it work either. He likes smoking and has been doing it for almost 50 years. :( Good luck and never quit quitting! Make sure you have lots of suckers to keep your hands busy.

Congrats on deciding to quit! I hope to join you soon!
My BIL went sort of nuts on chantix. My sister begged him to get off of it. He had extreme irritablity issues on it. I know it can affect people differently, but just a warning that you might let your significant other know that it can happen and to keep an eye out for it.

I quit with Chanitx almost 3 years ago. I only took it for a month. Had no ill side effects.

My hubby and I used both. The difference for us was Zyban didn't work and Chantix did!

Zyban for me cause me to turn into a real B%#(%. I was set off any little thing and my hubby was deployed at the time so my daughter got the blunt of my lashings. The only good thing is it decreased my appitite and I did drop some weight! lol Wellbutrine is the same thing pretty much and it caused my sex drive to nose dive within a week of taking it and i felt worse on it too. Zyban for my hubby gave him a lot of sleepless nights. Neither one of us came close to stopping smoking on it either. We did it together but he was in Japan.

Chantix was the answer for us! We both did it at the same time (he was home this time) and we didn't even finish the whole first 6 weeks and we stopped smoking!! It made them taste and smell horrible to the point that you didn't want them at all!! A friend of ours smokes menthol ones and I would feel myself turn green when he came around just from the smell coming off his clothes!! YUCK!!! We will be smoke free 3 yrs this October!! Side effects for me- I had to take with food otherwise it felt like a small hot rock in my stomach and I would have dreams that I was driving back home going past a store there, seemed really real! And my hubby had none really. We were both on this before it got pulled off the market for a bit do to depression issue which we never experienced at all or any other irritability issues related to the pill or to the body not getting nicotine either. It was more the mind over matter. Getting in the car and not smoking, getting on the phone, with the fist cup of coffee, etc. You feel the urge but then remember how horrid it will taste and you just keep going with your day!

Good luck!! If you have any question, please ask! I see you haven't gotten too many responses from people that have used it first hand.

I have had great success with Chantix and I've talked to a lot of people that failed with Zyban, but succeeded with Chantix. I've heard people call it a miracle.

The only sleep related side-effect I've noticed is the vivid dreams. It doesn't keep me up at night, I just have really weird dreams that I remember really well, even weeks later. Not scary dreams, just strange. For example, for three nights running during our recent train trip I had a dream that my 13yo brother was hypnotizing people on the train with a little mirror that he kept in his pocket. Strange right?

Anyways, do talk to your doctor, they can help you make the right choice for you.

ive taken zyban and ended up crying on the floor because i couldnt find a sock., i took chantix and ended up yelling so much i embarrased myself.

i quit cold turkey almost 3 years ago and never looked back

Zyban is also known as Wellbutrin and is an antidepressant and smoking cessation drug.

Chantix has had some safety issues both in the US and Europe with increased suicidal thoughts.

I'd recommend going to WebMD, Drugs.com, etc and learning about each then ask your pharmacist/doctor which they've seen the best results with.

Either way, it's worth a try. Each person will have a different reaction, so don't let one person's experiences deter you from one or the other.

1 / 3