Changing My Sons Name??? 2 Middle Names??? Needing Advice

When I was 14 my father died. I have always wanted to name my son after him, to honor my father. When my son was born we named his first name after my father-in-law and husband, but my husband suggested that we save my father's name for if we had a second son. We did have another child, but it was a girl and I did not want to give her my father's name. My husband has since had a vasectomy and therefore it does not look like we are going to have any more children. I am wanting to legally change my sons middle, but part of me wants to keep his middle name and just give him 2 middle names (the one he has and my fathers name). My husband thinks that is ridiculous and says a child should not have 2 middle names. I really just need advice. I feel my father will never be forgotten completely, but this was my way of wanting to honor him. I just don't know if I should change his middle name completely or give him 2 middle names. Does anyone have 2 middle and if so do you hate it, or is it a problem when it comes to documents and paper work, ect? I would love to hear from anyone who has ever experienced maybe what I am feeling as far as wanting their child to be named after their loved one. Thank you so much and God bless.

PS. My son is only 2 1/2 years old

Just tonight I was talking with some girls. One named their son after his dad for his first name, her father for the middle and the father in law for the second middle. I think it's neat that he has 3 meaningful names. Why dump his original middle name at this point? just add another. I do not think it is ridiculous at all. If there were no reason then I would wonder why you went to the trouble, but I think it's a very good reason.

Do it! Both of my children have 2 middle names. They are the only grandchildren on my side and I knew that we'd have 2 children maximum because I was in my 40's when they were born. It's only a little tricky with documents but at ages 10 and 8, they love explaining where their names come from and who they were named after.

My son has two middle names. We had picked out his first and middle name, and then after he was born, my husband wanted to add his deceased father's name as well. When filling out forms, I just include both middle names in the "middle name space." Sometimes the second middle name is left off of things, but it's on his birth certificate and all of his religious documents--certificates for his Baptism, First Reconciliation, and First Communion.

It sounds like your husband doesn't have any idea how important this is to you which is disturbing. I say just change it! Our son is named after both of his grandfathers who passed when my husband and I were young. It's a real comfort to us. And - our son who is now 4 feels proud that he has family names. He knows who he is named after and has seen pictures of them. Family is important to you. Don't let your husband belittle that. Being a father, you'd think he'd understand that.

My sister has two middle names, it is very common in the South. Since your husband "convinced" you to forgo the name when he was born, I would make a stand now. Remind him of the "agreement" and since he was chopped, the agreement is null and void. Add your Dad's name to your son's. It will make you feel better. cb

I think your husband should have let you name your son after your father in the first place. It's was your father who had passed away not his. I would change it because he had a vasectomy so you know that you guys aren't having any more children. It was kind of selfish of him. My niece has two middle names because my sisters father passed away when she was one, and we have had no problems. I hope this helps in your decisions.

If you are Catholic and your son will be confirmed, you could use your father's name for his confirmation name.

I would add your father's name as your son's second middle name rather than change it. He already knows his name, it may be more confusing to have it change rather than added to.
My son has two middle names. We chose to honor my father who passed away 12 years before my son was born by using his name as my son't first middle name (it is also my husband's father's name so it honors both grandpa's) and to honor my grandfather (who is the only grandpa on my side that my children will know) by using his name as my son's second middle name. We've had no confusion so far.
My neice also has two middle names. No confusion for her either.
Best wishes in your decision,

not to be rude but it sounds like your hubby is kinda being a butthead about your father. why couldn't you honor his memory? i understand him feeling "his" father was more important to be named after (kinda unfair if you ask me since his is still around to MEET the child), but whatever. now that you know for sure you will never have another little boy to honor your father's memory with, WHY on earth is he giving you static about the boy having two middle names? it's not as if you're wanting to change his first name. i think husband needs to back off and let you do what you need to do. i don't think it's silly at all, btw, but that's not even the point. husband should be supporting you in this. it means nothing to him. and it means SO much to you. it just sounds like he's making it a power struggle just to prove he's the bigger man. so to speak. i am highly annoyed with your hubby lol. sorry. just my opinion.

1 / 3