Changing Baby Girl's Diaper in Front of Teenage Boy - Concerns?

I was at my in-law's house for a family gathering earlier this evening. My 2.5 month baby girl needed her diaper change and the playpen converted to bassinet was in the living room. Majority of the family members were in the basement so I didn't think twice to change my daughter's diaper in the bassinet. As soon as I took her pants off, my husband's teenage cousin came over and started to chat with me and my baby. I was trying to delay the diaper change, hoping that he'll walk away. After about 10 minutes, he was still standing there. I wanted to ask him to leave but didn't want to make a big deal out of it. I went ahead with the diaper change anyway but felt very uncomfortable. Should I have been concerned?

Thanks to everyone's answers so far. I should have mentioned that this teenage male cousin is a bit quirky and sensitive. Without mentioning specifics, some of his likes and interests are not common for a typical teenage boy. I do not think it was sexual, but I also did not think that he curiosity (or any teenage boys for that matter) should be fulfilled from my daughter's diaper change. I think naked babies are very innocent and natural, and I'm sure my daughter will be running around the in-law's house as naked as can be. But given the combination of his quirkiness and coming to talk to me while about to change my daughter's diaper, it caught me off guard because I just assumed most teenage boys would have walked away seeing that a diaper change is about to happen. Without hurting said cousin's feelings, I would have taken my daughter to another room her pants were already not removed. In the future, I will head to a private area to change my daughter when said cousin is present.

What is wrong with a teen boy seeing a baby girl naked? Some teen boys change their baby sister's diapers. Some babysit other babies. It's so normal. A naked baby is not a sexual object. If he was uncomfortable with it he'd have left. Yes,if he doesn't have younger sisters, he might've been interested in what the baby looked like but there's nothing abnormal or sexual about having that interest.

If you're not comfortable with it then you can ask him to leave, saying you're not comfortable, or you could pick her up and go to another room, saying you'll be back once you get the baby changed.

It sounds like the person with the issue is you S.L. and that's wierd to me. There is nothing wierd about changing a baby in front of a teenager. Would you have felt wierd if it was a girl? Perverts are Perverts, no matter what sex they are.
My husband changes my daughter's diaper, my brother changes his daughter's diapers, my dad changed mine. Guys can change diapers and be around people that are changing diapers and not be there for sexual reasons.

Was he just talking to you, or was he staring at the baby? He may have just wanted to chat and found you alone, some kids love talking with adults and will take opportunities like that to get their full attention. Also, I think that kids in general are interested in and like babies because they are babies! The same as most adults! I'm not seeing what the concern would be, unless you aren't disclosing something he said or did? If you really want more privacy, then next time use a closed room instead of the living room. :)

I wouldn't have thought twice about it. If I would have noticed him staring intently at her private area, I obviously would have stopped, but I'm betting he wasn't even paying attention. There are plenty of young girls that babysit and change boys' diapers, so I don't see the difference.

I would have changed the diaper. Nothing wrong with a young man seeing a naked baby, it's probably good for them. He'll have kids of his own one day. If your baby was a boy would that have made a difference?

Oh, this is crackin me up! I am really surprised by the number of people who said they would take their child to a bathroom or other private location within a house to change the diaper. At relatives houses we just change the kids wherever we are or wherever the diaper bag is (couch, living room floor, bed). The only time I ever use a bathroom is in a public place that has a changing table.

I think many adults over think this. For the most part, the best way to handle this around kids and teens is to just be open and relaxed about it. When we, as adults, get nervous and uncomfortable, we are giving kids the idea that there is something to be nervous and uncomfortable about.

He was probably just trying to keep you company or see if he could help in some way.

Er, I will admit I was surprised at this question. I don't know if it's american culture or what, but it seems this whole issue of fearing nudity is getting away with us a bit. An infant is an infant, before puberty all the girls look the same and all the little boys look the same for the most part. Are you worried about this teenager specifically? If not, I wouldn't find it odd at all to change her in front of him at all. Maybe it's just me. If it makes you cringe at the idea of a male person seeing her nude, then just change her in the bathroom every time. That way you can avoid situations that make you uncomfortable.

Do you have a problem with anyone seeing you change your child's diaper or just this one individual? If he were a female would you care if he saw you change your daughter? If your daughter were a son would you have cared about this? I can't quite tell if you have a problem with him seeing you change your baby because he is "quirky" or because he is a male but I get the impression that it is the latter. In all likelihood he didn't think anything of it. Babies wear diapers and need to be changed. It doesn't even enter into most people's radar. If you are concerned about this specific person seeing you change your daughter perhaps you need to discuss things with your husband and the cousin's parents (if you think there is a real concern I would hope you would address it instead of just hiding from it). If you don't feel comfortable doing so then perhaps that is an indication that you are making mountains out of molehills and you are the one with the issue and not the quirky cousin. But in the end, if you are uncomfortable having others seeing you change your daughter take her to the bathroom next time.

1 / 3