Chamomile Tea for Babies?

Hello all :) Are you allowed to use chamomile tea for babies (newborn to be exact) and if so, how do you make it and how much do you put in their bottle? My daughter is almost 3 weeks old and screams and cries all day long, I've tried EVERYTHING and I just don't really know what else to do. I am EXHAUSTED.

Yes, when my son has terrible tummy pains (or anyone) you can give them a few ounces. I usually give my son about 2 oz and that seems to help. Works like a charm :)

Before 4 months babies are not supposed to have anything but breastmilk or formula. Giving something else may just make baby sick and screaming harder. Go to your doctor, maybe she has an ear infection? Or maybe its just colic.
You can use Johnson and Johnson nightime baby wash, it is scented with camomile and lavender.

Well I've never heard of giving a baby tea. But I do know you can buy teething tablets at walmart. They are tiny and dissolve instantly when put in the mouth so even young babies can take them. They have nature stuff in them to calm and sooth babies, Chamomile is the first ingredient listed in the tablets. But I would first check with your doc before giving your new born anything but formula or breast milk.

Hi love-

My eldest was born in germany...and while in the hospital, they gave him something called 'kindertea'. Turns out it was made from fennel.

I breastfed...but it was really nice to be able to 'hand' babies off for a while with some kindertea. It was soothing for them (and me), and there was never any 'nipple' confusion...bottles were the 'tea'...mom was milk.

Luckily my now ex would travel frequently to germany...and would always come back with a 'stash' through the nursing years.

I would certainly ask your pediatrician...I can only share my personal experience.

Best Luck!
michele/cat

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000811/
Hyoscyamine(hye oh sye' a meen
My daughter was colic from day three until 4 months old. Thankfully she was my first child so I was very patient and didn’t know that it wasn’t normal for a baby to cry that much. They gave her gas drops at first. Months later after I realized her actions weren’t normal I went back again and they gave her Hyoscyamine. It was like they took the baby I had and gave me a different one. It worked miracles and then her colic went away. My very first recommendation is to get help or walk away. Colic babies are difficult to enjoy, I remember the only time she wouldn’t cry was if she was in the bath or if she was near this red color painting we had on our wall. All other times she cried. It was awful. Please, please, get help. You might not like the idea of medication but if your baby is colic then she is also in pain. Good luck!!

Yes, it's an herb tea. You can just buy the trea bags and make some tea put it in her bottle and give it to her. Mint tea will also help her to relax and might taste better to her.

Chamomile is a diuretic and will make her pee a lot more. It's great for getting rid of viral infections because it makes you pee and sweat so it rids the body of toxins.

Before you go the route or the tea I would try the relaxing lavender baby bath, followed with lavender baby lotion. Lavender will also help her to relax and you are not introducing a 'new food' to such a young baby.

Maybe she has colic. You can try a little "gripe water" by little tummies. But look at what your eating. Think of anything that could cause gas and some that won't. When I was a baby my mom said I had colic for the first month but it was caused by bananas. My son had it for the first month because I was craving and eating a lot of sauerkraut and cabbage. Take a look at your diet and see. We also would turn over so his face was snug in our palm and his body laid down my arm and would massage his belly with the other hand we normally walked around a little while we did it and that worked to.

I have given my babies chamomile tea, but not when they were so young. The problem is that a newborn's tummy is so small that if you give her tea she will not be able to nurse enough, it is breastmilk or formula that she really needs. If she is breastfed, she may be reacting to something in your diet, a common culprit is milk. Try going dairy free for a couple of days and see if that helps. If she is on formula, try switching to one for sensitive tummies, the kind that is partially digested already. Also, try carring her in a sling or other soft baby carrier, she may be one of those babies who needs LOTS of cuddle time to feel secure (my second was like that and my baby sling was a God send!) If those measures fail, she may have a serious medical issue like GERD that is causing her pain, take her to her pediatrician with very specific information, chart how often she is eating, how often she is crying inconsolably, etc.

1 / 3