Cereal Without Milk

Just curious - how many of you have your kids eat cereal with milk in the bowl, and how many just let your kids eat it straight?

I grew up with the habit of always having milk in my bowl of cereal - there just wasn't any other option, it was how my mom fixed it for us before we could do it on our own. My stepsons, on the other hand, grew up with the habit of eating it dry - they would just pour it into a bowl and eat with their fingers, no milk and no spoon. It started because they would get up early and want to watch TV until we got up and they were capable of helpng themselves to the cereal but not pouring the milk in (they were 5 and 6). Later they took to snacking straight out of the box. They had their own cereal so it wasn't like they were sticking their hands and fingers into what I was eating, but I have to admit, I really hated it - it just grossed me out. However, it was what their mother allowed at her home (where they primarily lived) and Dad figured when they were at our house he didn't want to make waves (he would tell them to at least pour it into a bowl though). And I figured it wasn't worth making a big deal about.

Fast-forward 10 years and now I have my daughter. And when I gave her cereal, I always put milk in it, but then Dad just lets her eat it dry from a bowl, so now she's decided she doesn't like milk in her cereal either. She is 4, and she drinks plenty of milk otherwise, but she tells me she just doesn't like milk in her cereal. As I type this, I realize that the whole thing is really quite silly and not a hill worth dying on, but it still makes me a little nutty that she insists on eating it dry and this was something my stepsons did that in my mind was going to be different when I had kids of my own. I realize that I set the rules, and I could very well just make the rule that cereal is eaten with milk, period. But again, I know you have to pick and choose your battles and this, to me, is just not a battle worth fighting. It's not a matter of life or death, and it's not about instilling good morals or healthy habits or respect for authority. I try not to have too many rules, honestly, but I must admit, the whole eating-cereal-wihout-milk irks me.

So JFF - is there anything you insist on that probably isn't really that big a deal, but you just have to enforce for yourself? Things that you thought were important that you've decided to let go because it wasn't worth fighting over? I've given up on the milk-in-the-cereal, but I still won't allow socks with sandals. Either you wear socks with your sneakers, or you wear the sandals without socks. :)

@S.B. - I hate that too! And I hate when game pieces and puzzle pieces get scattered or get lost all over! But then you can't play the game or do the puzzle correctly! Just anal I guess! :)
@Czechma - YES! I can't wear my Crocs outside our house either. And I hate the whole wearing-pajamas-out-in-public thing too. The only way I would be in sweats or pajamas outside the house would be if was 3 a.m. and I am in the ER.
@Charliesmom - Yes, I hate the TV in the dark thing too...I always insist on there at least being a small lamp on if not the overhead lights. My daughter has her ceiling light in her bedroom as well as a little table lamp and I like having just the table lamp on for reading bedtime stories just so it's a little darker in her room and and helps get her more settled down for sleep. DD, for whatever reason, wants both lights on - and I just have to tell her no. :)

On the rare occasion I can get them to eat it, my kids don't like milk in their cereal either. And although I don't say anything, it drives me batty too!

The other one that drives me insane, but I don't fight because it's definitely NOT worth it, is mixing play dough colors. I just have to look away. ;)

My son only eats cereal dry. He won't even consider milk and cereal together.

I used to snack on dry cereal at work. My co-workers thought it was weird until I lost 50 pounds. MUCH better than the stuff out of the vending machines.

My DD is not a big milk drinker. Ever since she was tiny, I've made "mixed up cereal" in a snack cup, bowl or baggie and she has her cereal without milk.

I would also ask myself WHY it made me nutty because sometimes addressing the underlying feelings makes it easier to really let go vs turn a blind eye.

I would only insist that your DD pour it into a container vs eating out of the box. Beyond that, I feel like it doesn't matter if my DD drinks from a cup or bowl and at least she's not wasting milk she doesn't drink from the bottom of the bowl like Bro and Sis (*my* peeve).

As for the cereal and milk thing... It all depends. There are certain cereals that I do not like to eat with milk. Also, if I am eating the cereal for breakfast, I usually put milk in. However, If I am eating cereal as a snack, I usually eat it dry.

My daughter eats it both ways. I, however, hate having milk in my cereal. I did as a kid and still do as an adult. Mushy cereal is not cool. :)

I never progressed to having milk in my cereal. Soggy cereal? Eeeewww. Why would you fight over it? It doesn't benefit them to drown their cereal in milk rather than drink a glass of milk on the side. My 16 year old usually puts milk in her cereal, my 12 year old prefers it crunchy like me. Having cereal without milk in the bowl is no different than preferring your pancakes without syrup. I would never be offended that my kids didn't like something that I did or that I grew up with.

I just let them eat it how they ask for it. Every time they will say with milk or no milk. My daughter has recently started having milk with hers, but it was always dry cereal before that. Good job, that you're picking your battles and have decided this isn't one you wanna fight :)

Both my boys insisted on feeding themselves, even as early as 9 months, so they ate a lot of dry cereal. If they couldn't work the spoon, I needed to find ways for them to eat that did not require a spoon. My oldest loves his with milk now, but my youngest is still working on it.

My 5 year old has really learned how to behave properly at the table (including eating correctly with a spoon), but my 3 year old is still working on it. I figure that's normal for those preschool years. Hey, they have to learn sometime.

My guess is, this is very normal and you're not the only mom who feels this way.

1 / 3