Cereal in Bottle for 6 Week Old

Our Pediatrician suspects that my almost 6 week old has "silent reflux" .. She is very very fussy with crazy crying spells all day. Today when I had my oldest there i showed her a video of how my 6 week old cries, how intense and she says that she wants to try putting her on Zantac and thickening her formula with rice cereal. She is already on Alimentum since 1 week old because she wasn't digesting the proteins (based on the way her poop looked, Doctor said to put her on that formula)..
So I know I shouldn't question my Doctor, and I really like this Doctor.. But isn't this to soon to put cereal in the bottle? With my other 2 girls I started it by spoon at 4 months. She is saying that its to help keep the formula from coming back up and keeping the acid down. She doesn't spit up a lot, she thinks its more of an issue of it coming part way up. Ugh.. I guess I'm looking for experiences with this? Thanks :)

We had to do it with my son. He needed the thicker formula, otherwise he would be miserable. They actually put him on the AR (formula with rice added) while he was in the NICU because he was not keeping anything including breastmilk down. We did that for 2 weeks and then we started to add cereal to regular formula for every other bottle. It made such a big difference for him. When he was not getting it, he was miserable. We were able to stop it by the time he was 12 weeks and just use the Zantac.

I trusted the doctors involved and I know it made my son a much happier baby.

Both of my daughters had issues with reflux. My oldest had silent reflux. We put her on zantac and rice cereal in the bottle at 6 weeks and it made a world of difference with her. She is now 3 a healthy weight and never had any issues with it. It made a huge difference with her. My second daughter also had reflux, but was spitting up constantly. We put her on the Zantac and did rice cereal in the bottle also and it made a huge difference with her and her reflux. Every child is different. My parents gave us rice cereal in the bottle from birth to me and my 2 sisters and none of us have every had any weight issues, or other problems. I think it is a personal decision. Good luck!

My son had gastro problems as well. We put him on rice cereal at 2 months by a spoon. Giving baby rice cereal in a bottle can choke them. BUTTT we also had to give our son Enfamil AR....the AR is for Added Rice! So maybe its every Mom for herself on the bottle thing. I will tell you though that after my son ate I sat him up for a good 30 min to let the milk go down. I also had to burp him about every ounce. I also had to get creative and never could let him lay flat when he slept and laid for a long time. My son slept in his stroller, swing, carrier...what ever I could do to comfort him. Good Luck

You are always entitled to question the doctor. You know your child better then they do. I tried the cereal in the bottle bit with my oldest. It did not work. He was not able to digest it and it cause him severe constipation and gastrointestinable distress (severe bloating and gas). I have always heard that you should never give cereal in bottle (choking) and never to a child less than 4 months.

My first son was diagnosed with silent reflux at about 7 weeks. We tried the Zantac first and it seemed to help a little bit. He still screamed pretty much throughout the day and night. We then added rice cereal to his bottle per doctor's orders. He did a little better, definitely didn't scream as much. He was on soy and out grew his reflux by 6 months old.
Now my second son has reflux and there is nothing silent about it. He would spit up so much and so violently that he would either a) choke on it and start to turn blue or b) spit up so much that he started losing weight. We put rice in his bottle at 3 weeks...yep you read right, 3 weeks old. He stopped choking and his spitting up is 90 times better. He finally started gaining weight. He is also on Zantac and soy.
I have caught a lot of flack from others (family and even some people on this website), but I know we made the right choice with the rice. When a baby is born at 7 lbs 15 oz and drops down to 6 lbs bc he can't keep his food down, you have to do something. Try Zantac or Prevacid first before the rice. Good luck and I hope your little one feels better soon!

Sounds like your child needs to be on soy milk. My son had allergies to regular formula. He was put on soy milk and he was much better. I did try him on rice in his formula around that age as well. And it only made it worse. Switch to soy formula.

Yes!! It is WAAAAAYYYYYYY to soon for cereal!!! ALL reputable, responsible organizations (World Health Organization, American Academy of Pediatrics, US Dept. of Health & Human Services, to name a few) agree that you should wait until babies are AT LEAST 6 MONTHS OLD because their digestive systems cannot handle it. PLUS the earlier you introduce anything but breastmilk or formula, the more likley they are to have allergies and other health issues now and in the future (their whole life).

Also, you should never give cereal in a bottle. Period. It is a choke hazzard. Sure, many babies don't choke, but WHY take the chance?! WAIT until your daughter can hold her head up, grasp and pull things to her mouth, act interested in what you are eating, and can push her tongue to the back of her mouth to swallow the cereal. God made all things work together so we know the cues. If the rest isn't happening, then her digestive system isn't developed enough either!

I went through this with my first daughter (now 9) from the time she was born until around 7 or 8 mos. She was given the diagnosis of being "colicky" for much of the same reason. She would scream for hours on end as well.
I started with the formula called Nutramigen (not sure if spelled correctly), which is a killer on your budget (but it helped), then eventually moved to a Soy based formula. I did see some improvement with the formula change. My daughter did outgrow this colick in time.
I would question the cereal in a bottle thing though. I would get a second opinion on it. I, personally, feel that 6 weeks is way too early to start this as it can predispose kids to allergies.

1 / 3