Cell Phone for 9 Year Old.

I want to get a cell phone for my daughter for her 9th birthday. Any advice on which one to go with? I want something that has some type of parental control. So far I've researched Kajeet. Has anyone used the Kajeet system or I would appreciate other recommendations. Thanks in advance!!

I did end up getting her a phone and adding her to my Sprint account. I did the family locator (GPS) on her phone which is a great feature. She walks to school so she makes sure her phone is on when she is in route and turns it off at school. She doesn't know that I can get on-line and see exactly where her phone is at any time. You can also set times and triggers that alert you if she is not where she is supposed to be at certain times. For now I have this feature as a safety precaution, I also had it put on my phone and my mother's. She has now had the phone for 10 months and has NEVER abused it. The only phone calls she makes are to me or family members and occasionally to a friend that lives out-of-town. I like the fact that she can call me if she needs to when she is at a slumber party. She's not the type of child to sit on the phone chatting with her friends, she'd rather be out playing with them. I'm very happy with my decision. Thanks for all of the comments/suggestions!

L.,

Just wondering WHY a 9 year old needs a phone?!?!?! I didn't get a phone until I was 16 and driving and my kids won't have a phone until they are driving either and even then I will have some kind of parental controls.

I don't know if they still have it, but the firefly with ATT is perfect for that age. It only has a few numbers that you program in, and those are the only ones she could call.

Maybe I am a little old fashioned, but WHY does a 9 year old even need a cell phone? Are you not with them almost everywhere they go? They can't use them at school. I have a 20 year old, a 19 year old, and a 6 year old. My oldest two did not get cell phones until they were 16 and actually needed them because they were going out with friends without me. My youngest will NOT get a cell phone until at least 8th or 9th grade as well. I just don't understand WHY folks think a kid NEEDS a cell phone at such an early age. That is just one more piece of technology that they can become addicted to. BTW we NEVER added texting to our plan either. I wanted to HEAR my child's voice when they called to tell me they would be late or wanted permission to do something.

SAHM of three: 20(married and starting her own family), 19 (freshman in college), and 6.

My just turned 10 year old son got one for his birthday. His aunt got him a Virgin pay as you go. She is the one that is putting $20 per month on his phone. (Mom & dad weren't too sure that he needed one yet but ok'd her doing it). If he runs out before then, he's done. He got a very basic but neat phone. It didn't cost much and if he loses it it's not a huge deal. But the agreement with him is that mom & dad have access to it at any time to check call logs, etc. He's pretty responsible so I don't have much concern. Anyway - the phone has got great sound and seems to have really good coverage.

Many of the phones have parental control. We just added our son on to our Sprint acct and in the 4 years that he has had his cell phone, we haven't had any problems with his usage or running the bill up. The hard decision to make is which phone is actually appropriate? The phones these days are so hi tech...

wow- you have received alot of information that you did NOT ask for. My daughter is 8 and has a cell phone- big deal! It was an extra line we were already paying for and not using so we decided to give it to her. We started with whatever phone was "free" at the time- she still has it and we told her after she took care of it for one year- we could upgrade. She hardly ever uses it, but likes having it. We were also able to cancel our home phone since everyone here has a cell. I say start with a cheap starter phone- alot of times you can get a nice phone for "free" just by adding a line to your existing service. Good luck and kudos to you for doing what YOU want with your child, not what others think is right.

I'm with the moms who say a 9 year-old doesn't need a cell phone. By giving our kids "grown-up" toys, we're pushing them into adulthood way too early. If they get cell phones and TV's and all that while they're still kids, what will be left to give them when they're teenagers? Kids today act like it's their right to have things like cell phones. I say it's our responsibility as parents to think about what we're giving our kids, and about what we're teaching them in the process. I'm not trying to say you're a bad mom ... I've fallen into the same trap, myself. Just be sure to think this through.

Oh my goodness! I have a 9 year old and I would never DREAM of getting a cell phone for him at this age. Matter of fact, we're not sure we should have even started with the Wii! Until he's driving, I can't imagine the need for a cell phone. It's really an emergency only kinda thing in my opinion. And if you watch any of the videos on teens texting, it's enough to NEVER get them one! If she's at a friend's house, she can call you from there. Any other time, you should be fully aware of where she is anyway at this age. Good luck!

L.,

1 / 3