Cavities in a Two Year Old! Need Advice

I have a two yr old daughter and recently found out she has cavities I'm not even sure how many because I did not like the office I went to and just wanted to leave. My baby was crying and was shaking so much I just could not handle being there and watching her go through it. Now, I am worry I don't know what to do I dont want her to go through it again but I also don't want it to get worse. I called offices and they said they can put her in a pappose (which I hate that idea I don't want her to be traumatized) or lauging gas or oral sendation. What should I do?? I just want whats best for her and the safest way. Has anyone gone through this and how long does it take?

Thanks for the advice and I am still looking for a new dentist. The first one I saw was not a pediatric dentist but I did call my doctor's office they said they are going to refer me to Children's Hospital for general anesthesia. I am not really sure about that because I feel like that is too serious. I feel like oral sedation is safer and quicker. Do anyone know how long the process take?

My younger son had to have cavities filled. He had a genetic condition that rendered his enamel useless. We knocked the poor thing out.

My daughter's dentist is fabulous, and they will do "modeling" appointments with the child to help get them used to the dentist. I took my daugher at age 2 because of a concern about a front tooth. They are great with the kids. The office is Frisco Kids Dentistry, and the dentists are Dr. Kelli and Dr. Ty. ###-###-####

Laughing gas or sedation is going to be necessary for her, but she may need the papoose to put get it going. Be sure you are at a pediatric dentist that specializes in dealing with young children. Also, she will mirror the way you react, If you act scared and pull her out of it, then she will panic even more. Be strong, she needs those cavities taken care of!

Try dr Robert Morgan. He has an office at 75 and Campbell or one in Irving on MacArthur close to 183. My son had a root canal at age 3 and again at age 6, he came out smiling!

Just last month I took my just 3yr old to her dentist and did the "sleepy juice" and papoose and she did great. Within 15mins she was tired and drunk like. She didn't even notice the work being done i dont think. We did xrays and the work 1/2 hour all done. The year b4 when she was just 2yrs we had to put her under completely at Childrens hospital for other oral surgery and she came out perfectly. Find a good pediatric dentist, you could meet with them before bringing the kiddo maybe to sooth your own fears? and for sure and control your own anxiety. They feed off of you positive or negative! I do not allow my husband to go with us to the dentist because he has intense fears. Good luck! Think of a fun treat for later in the day when they are all better.

Was it a pediatric dentist? Do they specialize in little kids or special needs children? If not, I would call around until you find one. Our pediatric dentist has been treating DD since she was 10 mo. old. Now, her cavity was small and could be treated without anesthetics but I understand how hard it is to see your child cry. My DD did cry but it was fear, not pain. When she was a little under 2 and they told me they wanted to do a full cleaning, I cringed, but DD was fine. Hang in there.

I urge you to keep trying to find someone you respect, who respects you and your child. Untreated, it could damage her permanent teeth, cause her pain and, etc. A dentist you trust is invaluable. If you didn't like them, then find someone you do. There are good pediatric dentists out there.

If, even though you like the office, you find can't take her yourself, have someone else (your husband, your mom) that she loves and trusts be with her.

I know someone whose son didn't get seen when the cavities were small and had to be put under general anesthesia for some serious dental work. That would be more traumatic, I think.

I am going to second the recommendation for a 2nd opinion, and to see a pediatric dentist, since they specialize in kids and are used to handling kids this young.

I didn't read all of your response but here is my experience, first finding a good dentist and letting them know what happened at her last appointment will help a lot. My son was also afraid sometimes more and sometimes less, one of the times he was less co operative it turned out that he had strep throat and the dentist couldn't do much because he was crying so much, and so the next time he was really scared again. so we had to work through that and he is better now (he is 6) but a good dentist office will help you work through it but it is a slow process since they only go 2x a year.

my son has soft tooth enamel so he gets cavities easily, but some of them were small enough that we could "watch them" till he was older, and last year we did have to do 4 fillings, we had them all done at one time with sedation n the dentist office, I was very nervous, but everything went fine. I recommend finding if your daughters cavities will need to be fill right away or if they can be "watched" till she gets a little older. then I would do some modeling of what will happen when you go, maybe even find a good book or video about going to the dentist, I know we had one that was Sesame Street or something like that. have her take a favorite stuffy with her, you can even have her play dentist with her doll or with you or her dad. talk to her so she will know what to expect. Some Dentist office will let you have a quick simple "practice" appointment where you come in sit in the chair and have the hygienist count her teeth with the dental tool and that's all, so she has a positive experience for no charge. I don't think I would like the papoose, but I do understand that good dental hygiene is important for proper development and sometimes you just have to do what you have to do, but a good dentist is the first key to dealing with her fears. I'm personally phobic about the dentist, so a good dentist for my kids was very important because I don't want my kids to be like me. I'd recommend my dentist but he is in Roanoke so it would be far for you.

1 / 3