Cauterizing My 8 Year Old Sons Teeny Tiny Little Nose. Scary!!

My son has been having frequent nose bleeds off & on for the last year. Took him to his ped. in Nov. 09' she suggested Vaseline in his noise to moisterize. Has not helped much. Referral to ENT Dr. last week and he wants to cauterize his nose. Has anyone had this done to their child? Pros/Cons. Dr. wants to do procedure at hospital and use general anes. Has anyone suffered nose bleeds and "out grew" them? I told the DR. I needed time to make a decision. We go back in 1 month to decide. BTW I know it is embarrasing for my son at times when we are out to dinner, the food arrives and his nose gushes blood, & we have to run to the restroom, or at school when all the kids GASP! Thank you all.

I have had my own nose cauterized. I was awake, and it smells really bad. i am so glad I had it done. I was about 15? I have no more problems. and i had gushers.

I had them when I was little and finally had my nose cauterized when I was about 14. It stung but the doc was quick. I never had the problem again....They did not use any anes. at all....

I have worked in surgery in the past with ENT surgeons and have assisted in quite a few of these procedures. They are very quick and easy to do. The recovery time is very short and the procedure usually takes care of the problem permanently. I hope this helps. Good luck!

I have read some of the other responses, and I have never heard of cauterizing the nasal cavity of a child without anesthesia. I can imagine that it would be very traumatic for a child if done in an office setting. But, the nose bleeds are commonly caused by small capillaries that are close to the surface of the mucous membrane in the sinus cavity. If the mucosa gets dry or irritated it triggers a nose bleed. The purpose of the surgery, and I'm sure that you have already discussed this with your child's ENT, is the cauterize these small vessels to prevent the nosebleeds. It also creates a think layer of scar tissue so that the vessels are not as superficial. I really wish you luck!

I had this as a child (older than your son though...maybe 13-14). I had my nose cauterized and it cured me of the nosebleed issue. He'll be fine. Good luck!

You've tried conservative treatment and it didn't work. It's time to try something else. Cauterizing takes only a minute, as does general anesthesia for this. Light sleep, zap,zap, wake up, drink juice, go home. This is a minor problem that can have major consequences if left untreated. Please put aside your "Scary!" worries about his "teeny tiny nose" and take care of your son. It sounds like this is more about your fears than his. He needs you to be the strong one to help him through this. Going to the hospital and being put to sleep is scary for any kid, so be the best mom you can by getting all the facts, and reassuring him that everything will be fine. Go, girl.

I used to have awful nosebleeds as a kid. They cauterized my nose, which I recall being fairly traumatic, and it didn't work. The nosebleeds got worse and worse. Finally I was referred to a different ENT who did an MRI and x-rays. Turns out I had a terrible sinus infection. The ultimate solution was sinus surgery, which DID cure the problem permanently. My vote is, before you put him through cauterization (I don't care what anyone says, it's awful for the kid going through it!), or sinus irrigation (even worse!), just have them check to be sure it's not an infection that's causing it. I had no outward symptoms (other than the nose bleeds, and occasional migraines) of the sinus infection. Good luck!

Vaseline does not moisturize it dehydrates! So stop using. Make sure he is nose breathing. There are excercises to help if he is not Buteyko Breathing method.
I would not cauterize. You can do this naturally. The nose breathing moisturizes the nose. Can use coconut oil on face and a bit in nose but it will take care of itself if he just breathes thru the nose that is all. There are so many processes that help the body by nose breathing only.
If you don't mind scar tissue on the septum that may curtail some of these processes that help inflammation and other vital things for good health. No one thinks of these things.
M. BBP

My child was 6 when the nose bleeds started. They started off mild and then started lasting longer and longer. First always on the right side and soon once they started both sides were bleeding. The longest would last close to 30 minutes. I was panicked. We would put her quickly into the bathtub on a small stool and I would sit there and hold the bridge of her nose for 25 minutes while my spouse grabbed ice to put on her neck. This went on for months and months and they kept getting worse - real gushers. Finally the nurse suggested a product called Ayr - a saline gel to moisturize the nose and saline sprays to also moisten it. She explained that is was possible that after the first one (due to a bump, hit, scratch), there was a cut in the nose and as the skin inside tried to scab and heal, the nose would dry up and crack and the slightest bump or itch at the wrong time would cause the scab to break open again, only bigger and in our case higher up the nose each time. Eventually the break was so high that both nostrils would gush and I would be panicked that one of us would pass out with all the blood.
We were diligent about putting the Ayr gel every morning and night and eventually we reduced it to every night and we had a few more, but eventually no nose bleeds and we stopped putting the gel altogether. It's been over a year now, so no cauterization needed. Don't know if your son's case is caused by the same thing, but this worked for us so far.

I have suffered with nose bleeds for years-I finally found something that worked for me-nose spray-Ocean Spray works well for me-very easy to use and I use it every day once in the morning. I have not had a nose bleed
in a very long time. (I am sure any nose spray might work; it does not have to be Ocean Spray).

There are some natural supplements that are supposed to strengthen blood vessels. Quercitin is one I can think of. Just Google a while.
But if the vessels are truley abnormally close to the surface or more numerous..the cauterization may be the best route. I'd ask how permenant a solution it is...do the vessels grow back?..or are they truley subdued.

1 / 3