Caught a Bad Flu and So Did My Son

Hi mommies, I would like to get some advice on treating my son. I got the flu and of course now he has it. He woke up with a 102.9 fever and was crying. Usually he sleeps thru the night. I was afraid to make him more sick by taking him into our bed to sleep but we did anyway. What is the best known way to help him during this time as far as foods, drinks and medicine? Thank you for your help. N.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I am really glad that his fever did not last more than a night and after I gave him Motrin (one time) the fever went down. He did sleep with us that night, now 2 nights ago and yesterday morning. He seemed to be much better. He woke up earlier than normal and we all did not get much sleep but he was a happy camper. He still does not have much appetite though but he is happy, active, no runny nose, no coughing...It was a short lived virus. I on the other hand, I am still feeling the effects of my flu or I think it was a flu. I had the same thing as him fever and achy body for one day and no appetite and just wanted to sleep but then I started having diarrhea and that has not gotten much better. I haven't eaten a meal in 4 days or so since it started. I probably did a really bad thing to make it worst last night, since I was super hungry I downed a glass of milk usually that takes care of my hunger but then 2 hours later, my stomach was having a violent reaction with noise and diarrhea back with a vengeance. Oye! :-( meanwhile my son is ok and slept thru the night last night and is back in shape I think but still not much appetite. Weird he usually does not turn down food. maybe he is getting picky at 14 months?? So as for me, I am back to a little gatorade and a few saltines and I'll see what happens. Thanks for all your wonderful advice. It is really nice to know we can count on wise moms like you out there. N.

Hydration is key. My son's pediatrician is an MD and a homeopath, so he recommended collodial silver which i picked up at Henry's because it does help with viruses. He also suggested coconut oil (another anti-viral) and plenty of fluids and rest.

He also recommended Oscillo by Boiron after the flu since the flu cycles through and you can catch it again. I give it to my sons at the beginning and middle of flu season and we have been fortunate to not have gotten it in the past few years. I also cook in the coconut oil to give them a little extra protection. My physician who gives flu shots told me that you need to get one and then another one 6 weeks later because the flu season is lasting longer - so I give my kids the oscillo instead and it works really well for them.

HI there-What a drag. I've just been through two different bouts of high fever related to various viruses with my 15-month old girl (both in the last three weeks-yikes). I found the Motrin/Tylenol combo to be very helpful in keeping my girl's fever down to a more comfortable level. I'd alternate doses of Tylenol and Motrin three hours apart which was better at keeping her lower temp sustained. Otherwise I found that her fever kept spiking back up (to 103+). I also didn't have much luck with two different flavors of Pedialyte much to my chagrin. I just stuck with water and diluted juice instead. My girl also lost her appetite but it did rebound once she was feeling better and she regained whatever weight she lost when sick. She was also more clingy than usual so she did need me to lie down with her sometimes. She is a great sleeper but I just didn't think letting her cry in her crib was fair when she was feeling so rotten. However, she didn't seem to come to rely on needing to sleep with me once she was feeling better-we just went back to business as usual, so feel free to give your guy all the extra cuddles he needs right now. He'll regain his independent skills from prior to being sick once he is feeling better. Hang in there-I was so stressed and worried when my daughter was sick but she bounced back.

Hi N.---

Per my DH's advice (he's an md.)...food should not be a concern, just keep him hydrated (sometimes kids refuse to eat anything.....if he does want to eat something and it happens to only be ice cream, cookies, etc....indulge him. The high calories will help him in this situation...) This is viral, so nothing as far as medicine will make it go away. Have him rest and let his own body's immune system take care of it. Make sure you also keep his temp down in order to avoid febrile seizures. Anymore q's, ask away.

HTH-

Hi N.,

The absolute best remedy for bringing down high fever is a mixture of vinegar and water (50/50). Then take a cloth, and wipe down your baby's forehead, legs, arms and torso. Within minutes you will see his fever drop significantly.

Additionally, make sure that he drinks plenty, because high fever makes one dehydrated very quickly, especially babies. Don't worry too much about the food, he will make up for it once he is well. BUT DO stay on top of him with liquids!

Good luck to you and take care of yourself as well (you too can follow the same advice).
N.

Hi N.,

As I'm sure u will, definitely watch that fever and take him to the pediatrician if doesn't go down---in addition, " hand foot, mouth" is going around...

But in regards to your request:

homemade popsicles are always great---9I make'm with apple juice--and u can buy the good molds at williams-sonona or other housewares stores.)

crackers (rice or wheat)
apple or grape juice (diluted or straight)
camomile tea (warm or chilled)
apple butter on toast
rice
chicken, beef, or vegetable broth--room temp
pasta noodles (w/or w/o the broth)
small cubed melon (there's a great product u can get at The Right Start that's a net that screws onto a handle--u put in the fruit and they can suck on it w/o chance of choking...

I've even given my son at this age a little ginger ale--my grandma always gave me this and it just m,ade me feel better---i still drink it when I'm sick!

Good Luck!! Feel better!
My Best lj

Hi N.,
I may have missed reading some of the posts, but if no one said a cool bath to help bring the fever down. I would say maybe tepid/warm/cool. Probably won't like it but it does help bring it down some. Also, someone said Pedialyte (sp?). I don't recommend that as it may sound like a good idea, your child may not drink it. Neither of my girls would. However, Gatorade they would. Which is also the alternative that the doctor recommend so that they stay hydrated. I tried the juice and popsicles of the Pedialyte and they hated them both. But they did like the flavor of Gatorade.

Tylenol/Motrin were the options that my doctor gave. And the posting that said a lower fever is good to get rid of the illness is correct. So, limit how much you give and the child will get better quicker. Just watch the temp.

I'm sorry that he is sick. Poor baby! That stinks!

Good for you for bringing him to your bed. It's the best way to know what's going on with him during the night.

Anything over 101 degrees you should bring down; under 101 leave it alone. (The fever actually kills the virus and it goes away faster if you can keep the lower fever, but the higher fever can be dangerous so don't chance it.)

Use either Tylenol or Ibuprofen to control the higher fever. If the fever stays high, you can use BOTH AT THE SAME TIME (Tylenol every 4 hours, Ibuprofen every 6 hours). They affect different systems so you can give them both.

My younger son had fever seizures, which are caused NOT by how high it goes but rather by how fast the fever rises. (Some kids' bodies just don't know how to deal with the fevers, lol.) Anyway, now whenever he gets a fever we dose him immediately, with both, according to the doc's recommendation. His older brother we let run a fever until 101, and then only use one med (whichever we grab first, makes no difference).

If you're still breastfeeding, just let him eat as much as he wants. You'll be able to keep him really hydrated and fed that way, as well as help him get over the flu with your antibodies.

If you're not still breastfeeding, just do what the other mom's suggested and keep him hydrated; this part is really important. Don't worry about foods unless he loses 5% of his body weight; just let him eat when he's hungry and he'll be fine. (He'll probably be hungrier when the fever is down.)

If he has other symptoms (sore throat, aches, etc.) that can be controlled with the Tylenol you're already giving for fever. Other symptoms (congestion, coughing) can be assuaged with any OTC drops that contain the active ingredient "Guifenesen" (sp?); Walgreen's has a good generic. It's what they recommended for me when I was breastfeeding because it's the most mild.

Good luck with your little one, and know that you're doing the right thing.

My son, just got over this!! It is the worst to see your little one not feeling good. My son's Doc told us to keep him hydrated. Fever can be so awful, so I stuck with Motrin as it seems to kick the fever the fastest and it lasts longer. Also, when sick my son favors things like yogurt, applesauce, jell-o, mashed potatoes, rice...mushy things that don't hurt to swallow. I invest in Pedialyte (for hydration) and Pediasure (for nutrients), as they are a great way to maintain hydration and also, a balanced diet. My son liked the chocolate Pediasure, and thought he was getting a treat and since he refused a lot of his usual favorite foods, I was worried about maintaining healthy diet.

Don't worry about doing whatever you need to do to make your son comfy, when you're both sick it's so hard to take care of your little one, let alone yourself!

1 / 3