Cats or Dogs???

I would like to get some opinions if you dont mind...my daughter really wants a cat as a pet but which is a safer, cleaner, all around better pet to get, a cat or a dog? I have this thing with bugs and parasites so which are known to have less? Which is less expensive to care for including shots and such? Thanks!!!

Ok well we got a cat or a kitten should I say...we will see how it goes. I was no thrilled that first night I could tell you that!! But it seems to be getting used of everything so it is getting better. Most importantly my daughter loves it. We will take it for what it is though...one day at a time:) Thanks for the input though everyone!

It all depends on how you take care of the animal in the first place as to which would be cleaner, etc. Cats don't need baths, but do need litter changed. Dogs need baths, but can be trained to relieve themselves outside. Both have temperments that depend on the up-bringing. Both need shots, both need wormed and flee collars, etc. If you want the EASIEST route: get a fish.

Cats are much easier to maintain, and you can leave them home for a week alone, you cant do that with a dog.

I am a cat person, but have both. Cats are much easier and can be kept indoors. They tend to have smaller medical bills because they are smaller animals. They cost much less to feed.

Indoor cats are usually MUCH easier and cheaper than dogs. I love both and have both, and it's been my experience over the last 20 years that cats are easier all around (they use a litter box, don't have to be exercised and taken out, etc.). Dogs are great though! How old is your daughter? I would wait until over 3 to get either pet. She needs to have a full understanding of cat's claws and that dogs will nip or growl if aggravated. My two boys love our dogs (we had them long before the boys came along), but they actually resonate better with our newest addition -the cat! He's a 2 year old Main Coon rescue and a real sweetie. If your daughter wants a cat and not a dog, then she's going to automatically be more into a cat. Dogs also smell! I don't care how much you wash them, groom them, etc., they have that "doggy" smell about them, and some folks don't like it at all -including some kids. With a cat, you'll have to change the litter box. I recommend a covered one that you change several times a week. Do that and it won't smell. Also, make sure if you get a male cat that he's neutered or you will have a spraying issue. Either animal can get bugs and parasites -but a strictly indoor cat will have less of a chance of any of that. They can still get fleas though! Good luck, and please research adopting a rescue animal or a pound/Humane Society animal when you make your decision. You can often find pure breeds through rescue organizations or you can investigate the most child-friendly breeds of dogs and go for one that is primarily that in a mix.

Get a cat. Hands down the better choice. BUT get an indoor cat only. We have a persian and a himalyan and they are both indoor only. We adopted the persian through Petfinder.com and she is the most loving tolerant cat I have ever met. My son (age 3) has known her all his life and adores her. Plus, cats like persians are so laidback that they let you clip their nails. That is really the only maintence with the exception of occational brushing and scooping the little box. They need initial shots but our cats haven't been to the vet or gotten shots in 5 years and they are both perfectly healthy.

What about something smaller, like a guinea pig or chinchilla or something?

Cats are easier, but dogs are better ;o)

They are about the same as far as i know. Cats are easier to care for since you dont have to walk them and if you need to be gone a couple of days they are fine home alone. Some dogs can have seperation anxiety from their owners. But with cats you have the cat box unless you allow them to go out side.

Cat.

They go to the litter box themselves.
You don't have to walk them or take them out.
They are independent and affectionate and playful.
Easier.

I have had both, as a child and as an adult, and many other pets.
We have a rabbit now... and a lizard and fish, and a Pill bug, and a millipede, and Silkworms as pets.

With any pet, you do have to take them to the vet for shots, check-ups etc.

I say, Cat.

Cats are great.
You can go to the Humane Society... sit in the cat room and see which one is friendly with you and which your girl likes.
They are also neutered too and I think, are given the 1st shots.

I read your other post about getting a Kitten:
And no, they are not full of diseases or parasites... if they are gotten from a good place or the Humane Society. The Humane Society gives them a check up.
BUT, if you keep your pet outside... then sure, any cat or dog, can get parasites or diseases.
So keep your pet, indoors.
Then it is cleaner.

Try FOSTERING a dog or cat first to see if they would be a good fit. It helps out the pet and the shelter by finding temporary housing and is not an all or nothing commitment.
We did this with our Mr. Bear and fell in love with him and never gave him back. We ended up adopting him quite soon after he was placed. He loved us ten times more than any cat could. = p.

Go dogs!

1 / 3