Catholic Baptism What to Do

My girls 2 and 7 are getting baptised in the catholic church. I am not catholic, but my husband is and i also attend church with them. We did the baptism class and are ready for baptism. Are we supose to invite people? Have a party afterwards? What goes on durring and after a catholic baptism?

I wanted to Thank You for all the great responses and respond to some. So i guess we will do a barbeque and have everyone who attends over to our house. Since everyone is comming from out of town, i think its nice anyways. We actually don't know many people of the catholic religion besides my husbands mothers family. My husband has chosen godparents although they don't even live in the same state. Which i think is silly, but like i said we dont know any practicing catholics where we live (that are close to our family anyways). My 7 yr has been given the choice to be baptised. She wants to do it and has been attending sunday school for over 2 yrs now and will also do her confirmation this year. My 2 yr old wont know the difference but it means a lot to my husband and his family to baptise her. So i'm not going to fight it. I believe in God, i just don't believe in specific religions. I don't want to be catholic, but will attend the church with my famil.

Invite very close family friends and family to let them know of the occassion, time, place etc. You can choose to have a gathering afterwards, but it is not mandatory. I had a friend in the same scenario where her son was getting baptized-I believe he was 2 and her husband was Catholic and she was not. Only close friends and family were invited and they did a small luncheon at their house afterwards. I suppose it depends on the date/day and time as to what you do but it is a special occasion to be celebrated by the ones closest to you.

A Catholic baptism is the welcome into the church. It is not only welcoming the baby into the faith but asking the parents to commit to raising their children Catholic and attending church on a weekly basis.

Each family celebrates this occasion in their own way. We always invite all of our friends and family and throw a big party afterwards.

Your children should wear white. During the ceremony, there will be reference to the meaning of this color. Call the church ahead and ask if they are expecting you to bring a candle or if they will provide one.

At our parish, the baptism is divided into two ceremonies. The Rite of Welcoming and the actual baptism. The parish explains that the Rite of Welcoming is really for the parish members to welcome their newest member and the baptism is for your celebration and to complete the sacrament. By this time, you should have chosen friends or family to be the godparents. Ideally, these individuals should be practicing Catholics and good examples of having faith.

Your children will be annointed with oil and water. Usually the priest will provide time for pictures to be taken.

This is a very special occasion. Dads are usually in suits and mothers dressed up. Congratulations!

First off Pamela, Raven and more2go response was completley uneccesary and not revelant to your question. I'm sure you and your husband have not taken lightly the baptism of your children. That being said I grew up a catholic (in process of becoming a presbyterian) and have Many catholic friends. Most send out nice invitations and invite to the church and usually a reception of some sorts. Some guests may choose not to attend the ceremony but will celebrate at the reception with you. I believe at most churches they incorporate the baptism in with the mass/service or do it shortly after. That way guests of yours as well as congregation members can attend. You can decide to keep a celebration as large or as small as you like or choose to have none at all. There is no religious code that dictates that. The most important thing is the baptism itself.

Note: Pamela edited her response from a long winded Rant about her parents and the catholic church so that is why I stated what i did. I still am keeping that in my response because she messaged and said I was bitchy. If I was wrong in what I said you should have left it there instead of editing. Oh well.

We invited my family and a couple of close friends. Also, the godparents! Went to a friend's house afterwards and had a barbque to celebrate. It was fun and low key. It's all up to you how you want to celebrate!

Most people invite immediate family and have a lunch after. It's a pretty important day for kids, especially in the Catholic church. It doesn't have to be a huge blow out party. Just a simple lunch would be fine. I would imagine that if your family (yours or his) are Catholic they will "expect" you to invite them and have a little reception after.

I have attended four catholic baptisms and other than the service itself, they are very much like others.

The parents sent out invitations/notices of the baptisms and had a gathering/reception afterwards. Pictures are also taken during and after.

It's up to you. Most people invite family and close friends to something like that. With both of my kids, we had a family lunch at our house afterwards. But there's no standard protocol.

For my son's baptism, we invited people and then did a brunch afterwards. He was 10 months old, though, so it was our first chance to have a party :)

1 / 3