Cat Will Not Stop Peeing on the Carpet!!! HELP!!!!

My cat has been peeing on the carpeting near his litterbox for several weeks.
We have treated him for a UT infection but he is still not using the litterbox for pee only.
I know we will have to replace the carpeting now. We keep his litterbox clean but he will not stop this habit!
Why is he doing this and how can I stop it?

***He is a 16 year old cat****

Hi! I'm a little late answering; but I thought I'd let you know that sometimes the ARL has a cat behaviorist that you can call. I did that a year or so ago, and she was super helpful.

FYI - I had a similar problem, and she recommended actually soaping up the litter box once a week, new litter, clean box daily. That said, it's hard to tell with an older cat. Good luck -- cat pee is the worst!

My older cat did this and eventually we got him diagnosed with cancer. He started with getting UTI's and just never could get him over it, then found that he tumors in his abdomen, so i think his body just couldn't function like it should. Hope you get over this problem soon. I know it can be very hard to deal with.

Poor guy is really old! What is that, like 110 years old in human years? I hope I don't pee on the carpet at that age.

I would take him to the vet and have him checked over, just to be sure he is really okay and the UTI is cleared up. My mom's cat is getting older and gets kidney infections as a result of the UTI, so maybe the infection has progressed in your cat. Usually cats who are really good about using the litterbox but then stop using it and "act out" are doing so because something is wrong.

Either he is not fully over his UTI or something else is stressing him out. Our cat did this when we bought our baby home during the first week. We just cuddled a lot with him--especially if one of us was feeding the baby. He never did it again. If something has changed recently in the house along with his UTI infection, he may be reacting to this. Try and play and cuddle with him more. Also, you could introduce a second litter box in a different place and see if he goes to that one--then get rid of the first one.

our cat actually had an allergy and is on shots now, he was peeing in odd places. the vet said it's because he thought it wouldn't hurt if he peed elsewhere. It wasn't a bladder infection.

I have a cat that has been having peeing issues for years now and I still don't know what the problem is!! Here are some things I've learned either on my own or from some research as my vet either wants to put my cat on behavior meds or prescription cat food which is way too expensive!! But cats associate pain with the litterbox after having a UTI so it can be a hard habit to break.

-Wash the litter box. The smell can over time get imbeded into the plastic which will cause it to smell all the time no matter how frequently you clean it. You might even want to consider buying a new one if it's been a long time since it's been replaced. Cats also like soft things to pee on so maybe going to a clumping litter if you don't already would help.

-Drench the carpet with a 25/75 vinegar water mix and let it set for a few minutes then use a carpet shampooer to suck it up and rinse it with plain water. The vinegar will help cut the smell out of the carpet and hopefully the cat won't go back to that area to remark it. Or find the smell bad and stop using that spot.

-Move the box to another location and see if he uses it there and then slowly move it back to the spot you want it. Or give him a choice and add a second box some place else.

-Switch foods to something for urinary healthy. Pro Plan (found at pet stores) makes a dry food and so does Purina easily found at walmart. Friskies makes a low ash/magnesium canned food (marked special diet on the label) . Magnesium is one of the issues that can cause UTIs and crystals in cats. I've also learned that dry food is really bad for cats as they don't get enough water in their diet which can cause these problems too. I've just recently switched to the Friskies special diet food and my cat that has been having problems is a totally different cat now!! She is social, more loving and hasn't peed on anything in almost 2 weeks (knocking on wood!). They don't seem to car for the Pro Plan cat food so I'm going to try the Purina Urinary one next. If they don't like it them I'm going to stick with Iams hairball.

Oh, and he could still have the UTI too. There is this crystal stuff you can buy at the pet store that is supposed to turn blue when they pee on it if it detects anything in their urine.

Good luck!!
S.-Mommy to 2 cats and 2 kids :)

Has he been rechecked to make sure the infection is completely gone? Make sure you are cleaning the area with a pet enzyme cleaner, like nature's miracle, and really soak the area down. He can probably still smell where he has gone and just keeps going in the same place. You can try covering the carpet with plastic in the meantime too, to protect the carpet and encourage him to go elsewhere. Since it started with the UTI is sounds like I would start there and have him rechecked. There is a product called cat attract that can be added to the litter and can help encourage cats to use the litterbox again. Many cats with bladder infections, as I'm sure you know, get an avoidance to the litter box, since they associate it with the painful urination and then once another place smells like them they keep going there. Adding another box may help.

Good luck and hope he is using his box again soon. I know how frustrating it can be, we have a 8 year old female kitty with urinary issues, which are currently under control thankfully.

How old is your cat? Older cats can develop this problem and it is very hard or impossible to break. After you aggresively clean this area, can you completely cover it up, like put furniture or a box over it, and move the catbox to a new area? I'm not sure I would pay for new carpeting because he might do it again, anyway.

First of all, is he happy with what you are using in the litterbox? Was he fine with it for 2 years and then got the UTI and stopped using it, and has continued to not use it? Or did you change what you are using at some point?

Second, once they have peed on the carpet, the scent will stay. Even if YOU can't detect it, HE can. If he used it as much as you said (basically INSTEAD of the litter box) then that carpet (and the padding underneath) is going to have to go. There is no way to completely eliminate the odor that he can smell. Even with enzyme cleaners. They will work with a single or maybe twice used area. But for repeated usage... the carpet needs to be removed. One the carpet/padding is up and out... use an enzyme cleaner on the floor underneath (concrete or wood, or whatever is down there... will have probably absorbed some of the scent as well... and it will need to be treated as well. Once good and dry.. perhaps use something on it to block it.. a sealant of some sort). Then, consider putting a different type of flooring down afterwards, instead of carpet. Or perhaps of moving the litterbox and closing this area off from kitty for a while. Just in case there is any "habit" involved.

Lastly, are you certain he is peeing there, and not spraying? There is a distinct difference. Spraying would need to be cleaned the same way, but would require something different to change kitty's behavior.

1 / 3