Cast Removed from 4 Year Old and Now She Won't Walk!

Hi there! Wondering if anyone else has had a young child with a broken leg. Our daughter did great once she got her cast on (tibia and fibula broken, toes to mid-thigh cast length) and she got it off three days ago and will not put any weight on that leg. I am going crazy trying to come up with ways to coax her to walk but have run out of ideas...Any suggestions or advice?

It's normal. My son has had several broken legs (genetic bone condition) and it always takes him some time to get going again.

My favorite trick was to put in the stroller and take him to a toy store. If he wasn't ready, he would just sit there. But more often than not, those toys would call to him and he would walk to reach them!

My 5 year old girl broke her leg last year. She was a trooper through it all. When the cast came off after 6 weeks, the doc told me she may limp for a short time as she gets re-acquainted. They are typically scared to put pressure on it for fear it may break again. She actually limped for about a month. I was concerned at first, but really, as soon as we stopped calling attention to it, it went away. She is perfectly fine and plays as hard as she once did!

My husband jumped off a horse and broke his fibula in two places and had a piling fracture of the tibia(it was crushed), had to have an external fixiter to hold the bone apart so it would grow the amount needed to not have a short leg. After the cast was removed he was put in a walking boot. He got around great, but when the boot was removed he could hardly walk, and was in a lot of pain. He was so depressed. It had been a two year healing process and he still couldn't walk without pain. Have you spoken with your doctor about any kind of physical therapy? Does she have full range of motion in her ankle?

After 7 years of daily pain, stiffness in the ankle, poor range of motion which caused hip pain he heard of MSM, took large doses for less than a week and the joint completely unlocked and he was no longer in any pain.

If your daughter isn't walking you need to know the cause before you can figure out the cure. Four year olds don't usually like to be still, so if you haven't had her evaluated as to range of motion by a physical therapist, that would be a good place to start. The broken leg bones are so different than an arm break because they carry the whole weight of the body.
If you want info about MSM you can leave me a message or phone number. We don't sell it, and will make no $ off you buying any, but all MSM's are not alike in terms of quality. MSM is basically organic sulphur. We have had several friends and family members get great results with it. Blessings on you and your family.

Remember 4 years olds can be stubborn and know what pushes your buttons. Stop focusing on it. Also, don't carry her! If she knows you will cave in and carry her, she has no motivation to walk. Let her scream and cry and crawl. Quietly reassure her that her leg is fine and she can walk on it. You can be compassionate and firm at the same time. And be consistent with how you chose to handle this. Don't let anyone else undermine you such as husband, older children, grandparents, etc. Also, physical therapy might help.

A friend of mine has a son, age 4, who had a cast on his leg and when he got his off the same thing happened. He scooted around on his butt for another week and a half until he became confident walking again. I hope she is feeling back to normal soon!

wouldn't she have a Dr's order for PT? it may be painful at first & feel weak & awkward, but PT will get her through it. i've gone through PT for broken bones & two other different reasons as well & they were always fantastic & always rehabilitated me completely. they are so incredibly knowledgeable. they will test/measure her ROM among other things. you'd be surprised how much your body can be miss aligned & the very minor exercises that are done to correct it. being in a leg cast can throw off many other parts of the body including her hips, back. maybe you could request a therapist that works best with kids or they may have some designated. good luck!

Same thing happened to my daughter at age 3 - doctor even told us this would happen. They just don't feel safe and will walk on it in their own time. Surprisingly enough, it was my 5-year-old niece who "coaxed" my daughter into walking normally. This was after a couple weeks. Hang in their, she'll walk as soon as she's feeling "safe" again.

Good Morning S.: As a mom of sons who spent alot of time in the ER for breaking something becaue of being daredevils (now they are parents and I can't wait to hear they are going through it themselves) smile-- sorry to digress. I am glad that she has healed.
Your little one is being a hormal child with this reaction. She hurt herself and went through the truma of pain, knowing to step without the cast caused pain,- then got the cast and even when uncomfortable it was protection and all the attention that came with it. Now you have taken the protection off and she has to trust that if she steps on it it won't start to hurt or break again.
Trust me your little one will be up and running as soon as she discovers that all is really well.
I have to say that as an adult when I broke my foot last year I lasted all of 4 days in the cast and gave the doctor the choice of cutting it off or me doing it. I hated not having the control over my body & the itching and went with a soft cast& took longer to heal. So I think your little girl is very brave and couragous. Enjoy the adventures of parenthood. It is the greatest thing I have done. Nana G

1 / 3