Carpet in Dining Room

I am moving into an apartment that has carpet in the dining room. I also have two kids (3 years and 10 months) so it is impossible to never spill anything. I am wondering what you moms out there have done--do you put a big rug under the table or are there big plastic mats to buy or do you just have a really good carpet cleaner, etc?

I used one of those big plastic mats that you can use under a desk. It has saved the carpet! Good luck!

We've used large vinyl tablecloths for years. I like to have one that covers the entire area, since messes tend to fall wherever the carpet is NOT protected. I replace it about every 2 years or so.

I have seen people use large plastic mats in this situation. There are clear ones with gripping spike-like things on the bottom that are made to use on carpet. I am not sure where they are available for purchase, but I do know they are out there. Good luck!

Make it a GREAT day!

We always put a big rug under the dining room. We had carpet in the dining room when our girls were first born and first few years of their life - the messiest times. The rug totally saved us. Spent about $100 on it at Home Depot or Lowes. It's a piece of carpet with a trim. Cleaned up easy and looked nice under the table.

My mother-in-law has carpet in her dining room. It's the fancy kind - you know, only used for special occasions. And to make matters more exciting, it's light colored!

So, we bought a cheap shower curtain at like a dollar store and used that!

There were times that I just put garbage bags under my kids' chairs. Try looking at Babies or Toys "R" Us if you're looking for a mat. They always have great options - or just go to Target or Walmart and I'll bet they have something decorative that you can just throw in the washing machine. As for a carpet cleaner-the best one BY FAR is Woolite OxyClean. It has gotten EVERYTHING out of my carpet from Orange Sherbet to Red Wine. It's awesome to have when you have both kids and pets. Hope this helps:)

Plastic runners. You can buy them by the yard at fabric stores and home improvement stores. I got mine at Wal-Mart but I'm not sure if they still have it or not. Get the good quality kind that is sturdy with little spikes that hold it in place in the carpet. They are really easy to clean up with a mop or sponge and completely save your carpet! Been there, done that! :)

I put a plastic mat underneath my son's chair. I found it in an office supply store - it's designed for rolling office chairs. It works pretty well - even if it might look a little funny...

1 / 3