Car Sick Child

My 3yo daughter is getting sick in the car. We live about 45 min from my parents so we drive there fairly regular. After about 20 in the car she starts to complain about her tummy hurting. She has actually vomited in the car several times. Does any one else have this problem? If so what are you doing about it?

I called her doctor and the doctor said that she is to young for any medications for motion sickness. However I have learned some very helpful tips to use. All of these tips will be put to good use in the next couple of years or until they are no longer needed for us. Thank you all for your time!

When I was a child I used to get car sick. It helps to sit in the front seat rather than the back. Also, loud noises made my sickness worse. A quiet car helps. We always took some saltine crackers that helped to settle my stomach. Try these ideas and see if she has better luck traveling.

My daughter has gotten motion sick since she was an infant (I just didn't know at the time, I thought she was eating to much). She is 8 1/2 years old now.

I have found that she gets sick most often if A) she doesn't eat first - especially in the morning, and B) if we are going somewhere that has a lot of turns on the way. These don't have to be at the same time.

She is old enough for Dramamine now, but if we forget to bring it with us, the following has been a life saver.

What I have done is made "sick bags" like on an air plane. I purchased the rolls of "scented diaper sacks" and keychain dispenser. Safety 1st is one of the companies that makes them, or if you have a dog (or even if you don't) then you can buy the cute patterned ones at the pet store. Buy the ones you find are less expensive and use them for both needs if you like. I'm the only one who knows the difference (my dog doesn't "do her business" on walks so I haven't used them for her). I misplaced my last roll just before a long trip and couldn't find any in the "baby" department so I went to the pet store. The bags were a different size and wouldn't fit the hoop I had, so I had to buy a new hoop, too. Buy an embroidery hoop from the needle point section of Wal-Mart, Michael's, etc., that fits the opening of the bag and fits around her nose and mouth but not too big that the vomit can splash back in her face. I bought the bags and then took one bag with me to "try on" the embroidery hoops to get one that fits. Open the embroidery hoop by separating the two hoops (inner hoop and outer hoop), open the bag, place the bag INSIDE the INNER hoop, fold the bag OVER the OUTSIDE of the INNER hoop, place OUTER hoop on top of the INNER hoop & bag, secure the OUTER hoop to keep the bag from slipping out. I prefer the spring-style of hoop instead of the nut-&-bolt style because it's easier to put together. You now have a ready-to-use "sick bag".

I always keep one ready in the pocket behind my seat. If my daughter feels ill she can grab the bag, let me know, and I can safely get to a place where I can pull over instead of racing to get off of the highway or out of traffic to avoid a mess. The hoop keeps the bag open for her so that all she has to do is concentrate on throwing up IN the bag, not holding all of the sides up to her face, and it is easier to hold on to something solid than just a limp plastic grocery bag as it gets heavier with vomit. This has caused the grocery bag to slip out of her hands and make just as big of a mess. She was always so sorry for making a mess AS IF SHE COULD CONTROL IT. This gives her control and dignity. The scented bags have the added "baby powder scent" benefit. I keep twist-ties from bread bags in the car and just close the bag and am not bombarded with the vomit smell while I get to a trash can. As soon as one is used, I refill the hoop.

If you have the ability to turn off the passenger seat airbags, then maybe she can ride up front with you when there isn't another adult riding with you. She can look out and y'all can point things out to each other and she has the added benefit of the air vents being adjusted to her.

Hope this helps others. I love this site!

Donna K

P.S. I found my original one after the long trip, so now I have a set for each vehicle.

I am a new member to this site, so forgive me for adding my 2 cents so late. My daughter suffered (and still does from time to time) motion sickness. The absolute remedy for her was taking her to an acupuncturist for ACCUPRESSURE. This Dr. simply selected an ingredient/seed a little larger than a mustard seed and using medical tape applied it to her upper ear in a specific spot. The "seed" had no medicinal value, he supplied me with quite a few, and I reapplied as necessary. She wore it all the time for a little over a year. We had instant solution to the problem & today she will pinch her upper ear in that spot to help alleviate queasiness. Total cost $10 (10 years ago in CA), no medications and she traveled the USA with no problem!

My daughter did the same thing from about age 2 to about 6 years old. We would give her crackers right before we drove anywhere- something bready to soak up the tummy acid. This helped A LOT!! No milk right before driving - up to 2 hours. For longer trips, we had to give her dramomine (over the counter medicine for car sickness). I think it was a half a pill when she was really little and then by 5/6 years it was 1 pill. On the box the ages started at 6 years old.

I have this(37 years old) and my daughter does too....it has improved in both our cases, since we no longer read in the car and no movies in the car...we tell her to look out the window and that helps. Also might want to try the SeaBands that are recommended for cruises. You can get them at any pharmacy...they worked for me on my last cruise...good luck

I was never carsick until I became an adult. I take 3 ginger capsules when traveling and can ride on carousels or ferris wheels as long as I've taken the ginger about 20 mins beforehand. The dog would get carsick riding for an hour, just laying his head on the floor. I started giving him 3-4 gingersnap cookies before his ride and he sits up in the seat now looking out the window. Try giving your daughter a couple gingersnaps and sipping gingerale before the ride. There are also tablets from the health food store for motion sickness.
Be well,

My children get that way from time to time. They are a bit older, 9 and 7 so they are no longer in car seats. I have them move to the middle of the back seat so they can see the road ahead of them. My optomotrist told me once that motion sickness is caused by weak eye muscles so that when you are moving and trying to look at a fixed object, your eyes can't focus steadily and that can cause motion sickness. So, I don't let them look at books in the car. He said that people with motion sickness should either drive or ride in the front seat so they can see ahead of them. You just can't exactly do that with children. We also crack the back window if it is cool outside to give them fresh air. Hope that helps!!

ok, this might sound odd... I have never dealt with a car sick child, luckily, but I did have a car sick dog... The advice I was given was to attach a leather strap to the underside of the car somewhere, so it touches the ground while driving. I don't remember the logic behind it, but it did work. My dog rode in the car for 3 hours and didn't get sick. She would normally not make it after 10 minutes.

1 / 3