Car Seats on Airplanes

In a few months, we will be flying to visit family. Unfortunately they don't have direct flights to where we are going anymore, so we have to change planes. My daughter has flown 11 times, but this will be the first time she needs her own seat (she will be 2 next month). So I am new to the toddler seating on an airplane! We have a Britax Marathon, but I would prefer not to bring it. We usually check it w the other luggage. Do they actually need a carseat on the plane?

A huge thank you for all of you who responded! We finally went on our trip last week (from UT to FL). We had to switch planes twice and didn't have very much time to get to the plane. We decided not to take the carseat on the plane because of our tight schedule. Instead of the carseat, we used the only FAA regulated harness. CARES Kids Fly Safe (kidsflysafe.com) It was extremely easy to install; it took 5 minutes and it worked great! I was worried that my daughter may not like it or be able to sleep in her seat w it, but I was wrong. She loved it and was excited to use it on the plane ride back home. I would recommend you check out the website. It is so small that it can fit in your purse and it just attaches to the regular seatbelt. As for the carseat, we checked it w our luggage by putting it into a nice carry-on bag for carseats. It is made by Graco and it was in the $30 range; I got it Babies R Us. I would highly recommend it. It held our Britax Marathon and there was no damage to the carseat or the bag.

I have taken both of my girls on the plane every three months for the past two years. They're now 2 1/2 and 4 years old. I have NEVER taken a car seat. You don't need a car seat. I sometimes see parents bring car seats on the plane but it seems like too much work.

We have traveled with a 2 year old a couple of times but never bothered with a car seat on the plane. YOu don't have to have one on the plane. It seems more like a bother to me. We just brought plenty of snacks and things for her to do.

M. H.

No they don't need a carseat on the plane. I wouldn't bring one especially if you have to change planes, you already are going to have so much to carry. I have two children, 4 and 2, and we have flown several times. they have been fine. Just bring things for her to do, if you have a portable dvd player, that is always a big help. I have been on airplanes when children have been strapped in carseats and they were just as naughty and loud, maybe even worse. So I would say don't bother.
J. B

Borrow the stroller and carseat in one from a friend if you don't have one. I bought mine on ebay and paid $80 less than they asked for it on onestepahead.com. It's been wonderful with my now 2yr 9mo old! I ALWAYS have to travel with a connection. It's not that bad. E.

You will want to call the airline and double check.
I have taken my little girl and used a car seat. A friend of mine and I bought a travel car seat that turns into a stroller specifically for traveling. We found it in a skymall magazine that they have on the plane. I found that she knows how to behave in her car seat, so using it on the plane worked well for us. It kept things consistent and she was not prone to wanting to get up and run around.

M. H.

E.,
I too have a two year old who travels with me quite a bit. Just last month was the first time I had to buy a ticket for him. We did not need to bring his car seat on the plane with us. However, the challenge we had was keeping him in his seat during the take off and landing. We ended up buying a small toy for him to open on the the flight home so he did stay entertained while strapped in his "big boy" seat.

We just flew to Disney World with a 9 year old and a two year old. I called the airline and they said that the child doesn't have to be in a car seat. Nobody else on our flight did either. We also have a Britax Marathon and although they are wonderful car seats .....they are big and heavy. We needed one for the car rental when we arrived in FL. We decided to rent one from the car rental for $7.00 a day....well worth it to us.
A.

I have travled with a 6 and 2 year old. We had to leave my fold up stroller at a gate as our flight was late and we barely made it running to the connecting flight. I can not imagine if we had taken the car seat! I have seen people with a car seat that turns into a stroller! Not sure how much they are but if you travel a lot that might be an idea. We do not so never looked into it. You just need to think if you are doing this by yourself you are going to have to most likely carry a sleeping child off the plane with a car seat and your bags! Good luck

We too traveled quite a bit. I found it easier to make the children comfortable in their car seats. I too have Britax car seats, they are heavy and I know you probably don't want to lug them around. Think about this - we checked ours and they tossed it around and broke a chunk of plastic off the bottom. Care to guess what they did for us? Yup - nothing.

I recommend you keep it with you.

Peggy

No, car seats are not required on planes. However, we have always purchased a seperate seat for our son and brought along his car seat. He flew at age 12 months and at 26 months. He did great on the plane because he knows that when he's in the car seat he CANNOT get out under any circumstances. He knows this from riding in a car! We never told him that getting out of the seat was an option on the plane. And with two adults travelling, carrying on the car seat wasn't that big of a hassle. You get to board first! Also, the car seat protects a small child from turbulance. Most flights run very smoothly, but there is always a chance that something can go wrong. Even if there isn't a crash, a small child could be injured during a bout of severe turbulance. Just something to think about!

1 / 3