Car Seat in New York City?

Hi! I'm going to NYC with my 2 year old, and I'm wondering if he needs to be in a car seat for cab rides. I heard that car seats are
not required. Has anyone had experience with this? Are there cabs with car seats already in them? Any info. about this would be
very helpful. Thanks Mammas! -Theresa

I went to Chicago with my 18 month old and was able to ride in cabs without a car seat. The law is, as with any state, that they should be in a car seat but cabs do not require them and get away with it. There aren't car seats in the cabs and if there were, you wouldn't be able to track them down easily. We rode without a seat and although it was a tad nervewracking, it was fine and the cab drivers never said a word.

We traveled with our oldest son three years ago when he was 2 yrs to NYC and at the last minute bought a travel car seat. I was just worried about not having a car seat. It is like a backpack that you put on a child and then attach it to the cab seat belt. But let me tell you....my son would not have anything to do with wearing it. He through a huge fit and it was like trying to pin him down to put it on..so I just gave up and hoped we'd be safe. They are not required in cabs, though. Good luck on your trip!

Taxi's will not have car seats. The biggest issue I found was getting from the airport to the hotel (on freeways and such especially if you are flying into Newark) for that I would suggest booking a car in advance and in that case you should request a car seat. For travel around NYC - You could take the subway or perhaps bring a small booster seat? But with my 14 month old I put her in a sling and so at least she is a little secure....

I just went to NYC with my 3 year old. Car seats are not required in the city, but if you're planning on taking a cab from the airport you will need one. However - I did it once just to get 25 blocks quickly to get the train to NJ and I was really nervous about my son's safety! And - I can tell you that there is not a cab in the city that will pick you up with a kid and a carseat. They don't want the hassle or to take the time. Most don't even want to stop for people with strollers.

Having lived in NYC for 6 years without children, I can tell you it is much more difficult with them! But - I would and did take the subway for 99.9% of the places I needed to go. My son loved it!! Up and down the stairs was a challenge but take a really light weight stroller and you should be good. Also - if a normal-looking person offers to help you - take them up on it! There is also a stroller entrance at all the subways. Just tell the attendant at the booth, swipe your Metrocard, and they'll open it for you. You could probably get a subway map online so you know which trains to take ahead of time. Allow yourself plenty of time to get where you need to go.

Have a great time! There's no other place like it!

He does not need a car seat in a cab. It would be very problematic if you were to bring one to try to install in a cab. They are all in a hurry to get to that next fair and we all know car seats are not quick! If you are concerned about safety, try the subway.

I lived in NY for many years -- including four years with a young child -- and have made many trips back that have included my children. It is true that many people do put young children, including infants, in cabs without car seats. But if you wouldn't consider driving a few blocks in your own town without one, I wouldn't consider it in the city, either. Speeds are often as high as they are on suburban streets, so even if it's legal, it isn't wise or safe.

I was in two accidents involving taxis in the 10 years I lived in the city, and an unrestrained child could have been injured in either one. When we've traveled, we've used a car seat to get to and from the airport, and have chosen to take the subway, ride the bus or walk everywhere once we got into the city. It can be done without much effort -- especially if you can travel with a sling, backpack or wearable carrier instead of a stroller. Our family is proof. In the four years we lived in Manhattan with a child, we did not put him in a taxi a single time, even though we traveled all over the city with him -- to the zoo, parks in Manhattan and Brooklyn, a pediatrician that was a significant distance away, museums all over the city, etc. It takes a bit longer to get there. But you save money, the kids usually enjoy the ride and the people watching, and you are far, far safer than you would be putting a child unrestrained into a cab.

New York is a great city to explore and enjoy with children. Good luck, and have a terrific, fun trip!

I have no idea, but I do suggest you could call the dept. of motor vehicle or even more so the state police in New York & they can fill you in on all the info you need.
You can look for the numbers online at www.switchboard.com
or google it.
Have fun in New York :)

Hi T..

Never compromise the safety af a child! I'm sure with t little planning, you can locate a car service that has a carseat or one that is carseat friendly. Call the Chamber of Commerce and ask for a list or google for car service in New York. The downside to a car service versus a taxi is that you have to pre-plan and call ahead for the car. Sometimes even a fender bender can be fatal to an unprotected child.

1 / 3