Car Seat in Minor Accident

I was in a minor accident this week. I was rear ended but at a very low speed. Only minor damage was done to my back bumper. Luckily my kids were not in the car at the time. I've been told any time you are involved in an accident and car seats are installed they need to be replaced. I think this is a little silly considering the situation. I could see if it was a more serious accident but don't really know. I don't see how the functioning or safety of the car seats could have been impacted. Any thoughts?

Just replace it:) You dont' want to run the risk of there being something wrong with it and you not knowing, no matter how minor the accident was:)

moms helping moms work from home:)
http://www.formyrugrats.com

If it were me, I know I'd keep mine. I used my son's first forward facing carseat for all three of my boys, even though they have expiration dates stamped on them. If installed correctly and not damaged it just seems wasteful to trash and start over...but that's just my opinion. I'm just glad you use carseats! You wouldn't believe how many kids I see every day climbing around the backseat unbuckled. Crazy!

Here's what I found from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

"NHTSA recommends that child safety seats be replaced following a moderate or severe crash in order to ensure a continued high level of crash protection for child passengers.

NHTSA recommends that child safety seats do not automatically need to be replaced following a minor crash.

Minor crashes are those that meet ALL of the following criteria:

The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;

The vehicle door nearest the safety seat was undamaged;

There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;

The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND

There is no visible damage to the safety seat

Clarifying the need for child seat replacement will reduce the number of children unnecessarily riding without a child safety seat while a replacement seat is being acquired, and the number of children who will have to ride without a child seat if a seat were discarded and not replaced. The clarification will also reduce the financial burden of unnecessary replacement."

I have also heard though that insurance will cover the cost of a car seat should you actually need to replace the seat.

Hope this helps!

My child was not in the car seat and I had a front impact hit and the other insurance company paid to replace the car seat. If you were to have another accident and your child was in the car and something went wrong and they found out you had another accident and did not replace the carseat they may not cover any damages...let the insurance replace it and give yours to a worthy cause. Ask YOUR insurance company what their guidelines are. My best friend is an insurance adjuster and that was her advice...

I was in a very minor non-traffic accident this morning. I was on the phone with my insurance and they told me that the car seats would be replaced. Even though the only damage done was to my rear bumper, they want you to replace the car seats so there is no concern that if by some strange chance, something was jarred lose in the seat the child would not be harmed if in another accident.

I think that it is more if the carseat was in use during the impact because the plastic or metal fasteners can be weakened. I wouldn't worry about it since they were not being used. If you are worried, you can go to a check point and have it inspected.

moms helping moms work from home:)
http://www.formyrugrats.com

Hi T.,
Nonsense- check them for security and if they seem tight and ok then do not replace them- they are still safe.
blessings

you need to turn that in to your insurance company along with the total damages. they should cut you a check to buy new ones or something like that. call your insurance. i know usaa will reimburse us. it happened 2 years ago my two babies were in the car and got in a very minor accident at a yeild sign ( the car behind us did not yeild so he hit us and drove away!) i went to buy 2 new carseats and usaa deposited the reimbursement in my checking acct. after i submited my reciept. i definately suggest you call the insurance company.

1 / 3