Can't Breathe!

Okay I'm trying to find out what this is. The other night my husband was eating a burger and he started acting like he was choking. He could not get air in or out. It finally past and he told me he wasn't choking on his food. He has had this happen to him during the night, too. He will wake up and start gasping for air. He usually goes outside into the cold air, relaxes and then he can breath again. His mother and her dad has the same thing happen to them. My mother-in-law explains it as mucus in your throat that you can't move. Eating bread will sometimes get stuck in the mucus and makes matters worse. All they can do is relax their throat and then they can breath. it is scarey for them, it is really scarey for me. Has anyone ever heard of something like this? What is it?

Just a note on the previous comment--a hiatal hernia is totally and completely treatable by going to a chiropractor. It is a matter of adjust the back, ribs, and diaphragm. My husband used to have it and it is a problem no more.

These are symptoms of asthma - inflamed, mucousy, spasming airway. It may be nothing, but I would have him talk to a Dr.

Has he been tested for sleep apena? My young son has it, a machine at night helps keep the air moving.

It sounded like asthma to me, too.

Well, this makes my memory go back quite a ways, and I can't recall the name of the problem my (late) mother had. But sometimes she would feel as if something were stuck in her esophagus. Her doctor prescribed her a nitroglycerin pill to take when this happened. (I always thought nitroglycerin was for heart problems, but she always said the problem wasn't her heart.) However, that was at least fifteen years ago, and I'm not a medical expert. If your husband has not seen a doctor about this, please encourage him to go (for both of your sakes). If he has, perhaps his doctor can explain it to you. It is scary indeed!

I would reduce/cut milk and anything mucus forming like red meat. There is a tea called breathe easy you can get at the store by traditional medicinals. If it is allergies, grapeseed extract may help. Plenty of spicy foods and garlic to help cut the mucus could be helpful.

A coworker's husband had this same thing. It ended up being an allergic reaction. This is definately something to see the doctor about! Good Luck.

Get him to a doctor. I knew a guy who had this. I can't remember what the heck it's called but he would choke on dry food (breads & meats). It is caused by something in the throat... I can't remember if it's a growth or what, but it requires surgery to fix. I remember he was nervous about it, but everything was fine, and it healed fine. It's nothing to ignore & he needs to see a doctor.
Sorry I cant remember the name of this problem...

Have they checked for allergies to either foods or chemicals that may be on them?

N.

1 / 3