Cankersore in a 4 Year Old What Can I Do

My daughter went to the dentist and they took x-rays of her mouth. The xray thing cut her mouth right where the cheek meets the bottom of the gums pretty good. It looks like a 3/4 inch long cankersore and I know those are extremely painful. She doesnt want to eat and is always crying that it hurts. I tried some of that cankersore medicine and within an hour she was saying her feet felt tickly so now im scared to give her anymore of that. we have done sea salt rinses what else can i put on there to at least numb it or help it heal faster?

Get Started Causes
By Mayo Clinic staff

The precise cause of canker sores remains unclear, though researchers suspect that a combination of several factors contributes to outbreaks, even in a single individual. These factors include:

A minor injury to your mouth from dental work, overzealous brushing, sports mishaps, spicy or acidic foods, or an accidental cheek bite

So yes it turned into a canker thanks!

I get cancker sores bad sometimes, and had one a few days ago. I put Alum on mine and it numbs the pain and dries it out. Its a kitchen pickling salt but its used for cancker sores too.

Hope it works for you too!

I got them really bad when I was growing up and tried everything.

A couple years ago, I got a bad one during a dental procedure. The dentist gave me an Rx kindof like Orabase but stronger. It is a gritty paste, put it on the sore at bedtime, put a little piece of paper towel or gauze on it and go to bed.. no more water, etc for the night.

It seemed like it worked overnight. I use this whenever I have a canker sore now.

Hope it works for you too!

just put baking soda on it. I know it sounds crazy, BUT my dad and I both get canker sores in our mouths because of an allergy, it works. Its taste bad, but it works. Just put a little on your finger and apply it to the sore.

uh, how does a cut cause canker? it doesnt. she has a cut, not a canker sore. call the dentist that cut her mouth and ask what they recommend. if they dont have a good solution, call a pharmacist and ask them.

They are caused by a virus. The best thing to do to prevent them is to give her a good mulitvitamin. L-Lysine is the specific vitamin/mineral that helps prevent them. I battled them my entire life before I get one I run a fever (I call them fever blisters and canker sores) I have found if I take a fever/pain reducer such as tylenol it helps them a lot. Mine are usually on the lips but I have had them in my mouth before too. Ice also helps them once they start. Mine finally stopped when I started using a product from Arbonne called lip service which they do not have at this time :( whatever was in the supplements made mine go away and I have complained and hope they will bring them back soon in the mean time I take my daily Essentials from Arbonne and so far I haven't got one YAY. Good Luck I hope you find something to help your daughter those are so painful.

I used to get these ALL the time when I was little. My grandmother swore by tea bags. She used to say that placing a tea bag on the canker sore would 'draw out the cold'. lol! Whatever that means... I have no idea if it works and I'm inclined to believe that it doesn't, but now I do the same for my daughter and it does seem to make her feel better. She takes after me, and gets them pretty often, and she always reaches for a tea bag.

Regardless of what you do they will last 3 to 5 days. The best thing I have found is the salt water to keep the pain down and heal them quickly.

I second the L-Lysine supplements (check w/ your pediatrician) and a baking soda poultice applied topically.

1 / 3