Can You Warm up Breast Milk More than 2 Times?

If I have warmed up pumped breast milk two times and he still hasn't finished it, can I still warm it up a third time and give it to him, or do I just need to throw it out? =(
Thanks Moms.

Wow! Only once?! I had no idea. Thanks for your replies. I'm glad I asked.

You can only warm up milk once and only once. The bacteria in milk and from his saliva multiply at a VERY rapid rate. Milk freshly pumped can sit out for about 3 hours as long as its immediately covered, however, once it cools down the bacteria fighting properties diminish. Therefore, warm only once then dump it!

Once warmed - you need to toss it.

I think the rule is once it's warmed and not consumed toss it. But, I could be wrong. Not sure you should re-heat it at all. NICU nurses, always just threw it out and that's what I did.

Just toss it as the others have said.
Since your son is about 2 months old, they are probably drinking about 3 ounces? Or, simply ask you Pediatrician how many ounces he should be drinking by now... then gauge the amount you give him this way. And feed on demand.

If you are concerned about wasting... just give him what you know he will drink, and then if he needs more, just warm up another serving. Or just nurse him directly.

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

breast milk the times times warming