Can You Use Vinegar/baking Soda in a Front Loading Washer?

I use baking soda and vinegar all of the time in my regular washer and a friend has a front loading washer and would like to do the same. Anyone know if this will cause a problem in a front loader? How much do you use of each? Where dispensers do you use? (can vinegar go in the fabric softener dispenser?)

I would agree with the vinegar and putting it in the fabric softner dispenser. I too use cloth diapers so I like using it in those loads as well as with my outher laundry.
My only suggestion would be to use washing soda-that's what I use along with boax and oxi clean to wash my clothes : )

It is safe to use in your front loader. I would only use about a teaspoon of baking soda and put it in the washer. The vinegar can go in the fabric softner dispenser.

I was just trying to figure this out this week too. Wanting to freshen our laundry now that I'm washing cloth diapers on my own. I haven't yet tried it, but apparently you can put 1 cup of vinegar in the fabric softener compartment and 1/2 cup of baking soda in the drum with the clothes or add to rinse cycle. Here's some sites that helped me. I'm a little concerned about mixing the two and having a science project-style volcano eruption, but we'll see.
Vinegar: http://www.versatilevinegar.org/usesandtips.html#2
Baking Soda: http://www.armhammer.com/myhome/room_pop.asp?Room=Laundry...

There was also a good thread on GardenWeb.com, but I'm having trouble finding it now. I'll keep looking.

My advice is what everyone else has posted. The vinegar goes in the fabric softener dispenser and sprinkle the baking soda in with the clothes. I've been using both in my towels for almost a year now and it has eliminated the musty smells I use to get with towels that were left on my sons bedroom floor. The vinegar also acts like fabric softener. Also since I started using them my washer doesn't get the musty that sometimes front loading washers get. I buy gallon jugs of vinegar and large boxes of baking soda at Sam's Club......

I don't have an answer on the front loader but I am curious as to how you use vinegar and baking soda.

Thanks, R.

Hi J.! I would have her call the manufacturer for instructions. I don't have a front loader but I would assume that you could put vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser. I'm not sure where you would put the baking soda!

Yes you certainly can! You would add 1cup in with your laundry detergent and pour it in where your detergent goes! You can also get this information and more cleaning solutions from the arm and hammer website!! Hope this helps!

I am not quite sure if you are supposed to use them at the same time or not.. But the fabric softner usually goes in at the rinse cycle so if you put the baking soda in with the clothes then that will wash out even before you get the vinegar in there.. We have a front loader and what we do if we have to put things in there is put it in the drum. I would first put the vinegar in the drum (the vinegar will run into the little holes in the drum) then add the clothes and then pour the baking soda on top of the clothes.. That way when the machine starts they will mix..

But like I said I dont know if you are supposed to mix them or not..

1 / 3