Can You Take Fish Oil Instead of Eating Fish for Same Omega Benefits?

I hate all fish but tuna. Should I be taking fish oil for the Omega fats, and what about my kids....?
I don't often make them fish of any kind, except for tuna occasionally and shrimp occasionally.....uh oh??

Have you considered flax seed oil or (preferably organic) golden flax seed? Flax seed is the only thing that matches real fish for Omegas, and has lots of great side benefits. Indiana-grown flax seed is available in the Indianapolis market. Also, if you decide to go with the seed instead of daily doses of (not fishy) oil, there are now tons of flax recipe cookbooks out there.
Way to be healthy!

Yes, and you can actually get some prescription fish oils, which are regulated by the FDA. My hubby (an internal medicine doc) takes Lovaza every day. I believe I get enough from my diet, as I LOOOOOVE salmon and nuts, so I don't take any. Can you get your kids to eat salmon? My 3 year old loves it, and loves shrimp too.

Absolutely!!! Fish oil supplements are a HUGE market.

But, here's a caution to take into consideration as you're making your selections.

Most over-the-counter vitamins and supplements are not FDA approved. The FDA regulates them and registers the active ingredient, but they're not always the same grade and purity as a prescription variety.

Fish oil tablets/capsules are often known to cause what are known in the medical industry as "Fish Burps" - some people say that freezing them helps. Other people say it's the quality of the fish.

There's a prescription product called Lovaza that many health care professionals speak about as a pharmaceutical grade supplement that I've heard excellent things about - may be worth a call to your physician and pharmacist to see what they think and how much you'd have to pay out of your pocket.

Surprising. Lots of people like fish OTHER than tuna. No orange roughy, sea bass, salmon, etc.? Sea bass and orange roughy, particularly, are VERY mild fish. In addtion, how it's prepared has ALOT to do with it. Fish is, and should be VERY simple to prepare. I give people very simple recipes that even kids like. Why dont' you make it, just out of curiousity? I come across clients all the time that don't fix it because they don't know how they should prepare it.

Regardless, there are other foods that contain omegas...walnuts, avacados, flaxseed. I actually take flaxseed oil rather than the fish oil. I do eat some fish, but also get my omegas from nuts and avacados on a daily & weekly basis.

I'd be careful with doing alot of shrimp. These are bottom feeders. All of your bottom feeders are high in toxins. The "rule" for seafood is that you only eat what has fins and scales (Biblical, too)..... Which would eliminate all bottom feeders. God gives us all kinds of guidelines to try to keep us "safe".

Yes, my understanding is that you can do that. I did it all through my pregnancy & throughout breastfeeding.

Just make sure that the kind you buy is mercury free.

Here's a good article on omega 3 fatty acids: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbi.... You can scroll down to the "Food Sources" section for a list of other foods that have omega 3s (flax seed, some kinds of squash, olive oil (if it's not heated) etc.)

yes you can. My dad recommends the pills, for kids who wont eat fish (he is a Pedi)

Way to be healthy!

Absolutely! I am just like you! I don't want to eat too much tuna though because of purity issues so I take pure Omega's every day. Lots of people are turning to supplements because if you choose a good company with pharmaceudical (sp?) grade products you have a better chance of eating safe and pure omegas. I am a Shaklee Independent Distributor and I can tell you we make an awesome product. Go to this link and learn about it:

http://healinghappens.myshaklee.com/us/en/products.php?sk...

There is new research showing that ingredients in fish oil are very helpful to children and brain development too. DHA. Take a peek at this link:

I'm a believer in these products. Both my parents have heart disease and I take it for that along with all the other good reasons. Omegas help with joint pain and inflammation, and on......

Contact me if I can help.

We take Omega 3 supplements daily! They pack a good punch of necessary oil. I think that you may get even more Omega 3 from one supplement than you do from a piece of fish. My kids call them "yuckies", they are small gel capsules that they can chew or just swallow and are slightly flavored to "hide" the fish oil taste. I don't think it really works, hence the nickname. I think they also make it in liquid form too. I take two adult gel caps everyday too! Just make sure that you are getting them from a good distributor and that the fish are not fish raised on a fish farm. Maybe you could go to your local health food store to buy them!

1 / 3