Can You Get Pregnant While Breastfeeding?

I heard that you cannot get pregnant while breastfeeding. Is this true? Has anyone gotten pregnant while still breastfeeding their infant?

YES! I did it twice. Some women don't have normal cycles while breastfeeding, so many believe you can't get pg while feeding. After my first son was weaned I was getting ready to go ona diet, since I was not the type to cycle was breastfeeding i took a pg test before dieting. It was positive.

Everything that I have heard is YES!!! Be very carful if this is something you do not want. I breastfeed exclusivly for 25 months and got my period back after only 3 months.
N..

Add me to the list of those that it has happened to! My oldest children are both 7 and they are NOT twins. lol I most definitely did get pregnant while breastfeeding my oldest. I was under the impression that it couldn't happen either...so not true! I am thrilled that it did though. :)

Breastfeeding as birth control is known as the Lactation Amenorrhea Method (LAM), and was first set down on paper at the close of a meeting of lactation experts in Bellagio, Italy, in 1988. Referred to as the Bellagio Consensus, the report states, "A mother who is fully or nearly fully breastfeeding her infant and who remains amenorrheic [nonmenstruating] will have more than 98 percent protection from pregnancy in the first six months postpartum."(8)

Although the phrase "fully or nearly fully breastfeeding" remained undefined, the statement was based primarily on studies of breastfeeding women in Western cultures. And by Western standards, "fully breastfeeding" has been generally understood as breastfeeding on demand--implying an average of 8 to 12 feedings every 24 hours for the first month or two of life, gradually dropping off to 6 to 10 feedings. Also by Western standards, one or more night feedings is customary until about six months of age, and often much later.

The phrase "nearly fully breastfeeding" would similarly remain open to interpretation were it not for subsequent studies investigating the effects of supplementation on the pregnancy rates of breastfeeding women. These studies, including one that explored the introduction of solids at an average age of five months, reveal that supplementation, even on a daily basis, does not substantially reduce the contraceptive effectiveness of breastfeeding. In fact, over the first six months postpartum, supplementation is associated with a failure rate of only about 3 percent. The reason for such a low failure rate is twofold. First, although women who give supplementary bottles or solids are more likely to menstruate during the first six months postpartum, LAM requires that they begin using another method of contraception immediately after their first period. In addition, many women remain amenorrheic for several months after introducing solids.(9)

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0838/is_n72/ai_155...

N..

Yes Yes Yes You can get pregnant while brestfeeding. I did.

Hi M., Yes, you definately can get pregnant. My son was 8 months old and was still breastfeeding. I had not yet had a period and became pregnant. My son is now 27 months and my daughter is 11 months. A friend of mine also became pregnant while breastfeeding and her son and daughter are 13 months apart. Congratulations on your babies. Take care, T.

I know you have your answer but YES. Your OB should have talked to you about protection at your 6 week postpartum check up. Did they? Mine did but maybe b/c it was my first baby.

While you are less likely to get pregnant while you are breastfeeding it is still possible. I was breastfeeding my son when I got pregnant with my daughter-my son was 9 months at at the time. I also ran into a woman who was breastfeeding her 9 month old and was 8 months pregnant. So anything is possible. If you don't want to get pregnant again I would take precautions and not just rely on breastfeeding.

my kids are 11 and 1/2 months apart and i was breastfeeding when i got pregnant... just be careful!!

1 / 3