Can Toddlers Have Athlete's Foot?

My son is 20 months old and I think he might have athlete's foot. He has been scratching the bottom of his foot and there is cracking skin between his toes. I thought his shoes were pinching so he's wearing shoes with more room now. I've applied neosporin and its not helping. I've also tried cortizone cream. I've never seen athlete's foot. Can anyone tell me if that might be it? Is there a safe treatment for his age? I can tell he's uncomfortable but he can't tell me. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Thanks to everyone for your great advice! I took my son to his pediatrician as many of you recommended and she felt it could be either athlete's foot or eczema (he has had eczema since 3 months.) We are treating it as athlete's foot first and using Lotrimin once a day. If that doesn't work, we will try cortizone cream per her recommendation. I'm also changing his socks more frequently and trying to keep him barefoot as often as possible. Thanks again!

My son had athlete's foot around 2 years of age. His symptoms were the same as you've mentioned. I did take him to a doctor and was given an ointment that cleared it up!

Try checking with your pediatrician to see if you can use "clotrimazole 1%" the generic for Lotramin. I am pregnant and am able to use, so it probably would be OK. Found it at Walmart and Target.

You need to have it looked at by a doctor to be sure of what it is, but if it is athletes foot the best cure is for him to go barefoot whenever possible. My baby never had it but my husband had it for years and when I finally got him to go bare foot around the house it got better.
G.

Sure,, You need to get a cream. you can try a lotrimin type cream but call your pediatrician first. My little guy and both of my nephews would get cracking, and peeling from their little feet sweating. The dr. stated to have two or more pair of shoes, even if they are exactly the same. To NEVER wear the same pair 2 days in a row as they are not completely dry from the day before. To change their socks frequently and go barefoot whenever possible. In the sumrrer, sandals where best. We still follow these practicies and hardly ever have any problems. Good Luck this is quite normal.

I don't know anything about athlete's foot, but I have 2 boys that have been fighting a MRSA staff infection for months. And I've been told that sometimes it looks similar to athletes foot or other fungus type infections. I'm just telling you this so you might get it checked out by a dr just in case. You don't want to catch this stuff too late. The first one that my oldest son got looked like a normal diaper rash so i just put cream on it and didn't worry. After awhile it was so bad, he had to have his tush operated on to get the infection out. So please to wait around with an infection you don't recognize. Have a dr check it out. Good luck. :)
A. K

Absolutely they can! My son had a chronic problem with it from age 16 months to 4 years. Our doctor told me to use Tinactin on his feet, and it cleared it right up! But it might be best to take him to see his PCP, he may have a different idea of what he wants you to use.

I hope this helps. Athlete's foot is so miserable. Poor fella.
~M.

I pretty sure athlete's foot is a type of fungas. The skin should be washed with soap and water and dried very well, especially between the toes. Wal-Mart has a topical cream for athlete's foot (and jock itch, same type of fungas) called Lortrim. Powder works well too. We use Arrowroot powder for my son and Lortrim when his athelet's foot starts up. Also, his feet should be well ventilated to prevent moisture buildup (a breading ground for fungas). Good Luck and I hope I spelled the medication right, it is pretty close.
K. R.

you might want to check with the dr. but i read somewhere to use medicine for yeast infection. i think it was in a column by dr. gott.

My toddler had it at about that age-it was very red and crakced, she didn't really scratch it much, but her eczema never bothered her much either. Dr just said to use Lotrimin, the same stuff adults would use but only apply it once per day. She was really good about letting me put the "toe stuff" on her. Also make sure you change his socks a couple times a day, esp if his feet sweat alot and go without shoes as much as possible so his feet stay dry. (Also make sure you bleach out the bathtub a couple times while you are treating it and when its cured so he doesn't get it again.)

1 / 3