Can Teething Cause Ear Infections?

I really doubt it can but I am wondering if teething can cause ear infections. My daughter is one year old and it has seemed that everytime she has gone through a really hard teething spell she seems to get an ear infection at the same time. I am thinking that it is due to the sinus troubles that her teething seems to cause. Let me know if you have expierenced the same thing and if you have found anything that would help with that side of it. My dr did give me some ear drops for her that are a local anistetic for the pain but I am not sure if there is more I could be doing to help prevent her from getting the infection.

I hear ya! My daughter did not start teething until she was 11 mo. That is the same time that she got sick for the first time. She is now 14 mo and we are working on her third ear infection. She is also working on more teeth. I don't have any suggestions for the pain, but I have found that when she starts drooling a lot I keep an eye out for the infection. If you catch it early enough there is not as much pain and her ears will clear up after a few doses of antibiotics. My pediatrician said there is not much you can do to prevent the ear infections besides keeping her away from others that are sick. Hope this helps.
M. B

M. B

My son has a lot of problems with ear infections because when they are little their eustation tubes are more horizontal than adults and in some children this will cause a lot of problems. For whatever reason, teething does not seem to help anything at all. I take my son to a Chiropractor who specializes in SOT (Sacro Occipital Technique). We have been going to her for 4 months now and have not had any more ear infections (we've had a lot, so 4 months is really good for us). This is only what seemed to help us, remember that every child is different! I really hope you find something that helps, there is nothing more miserable than to watch your child be in pain.

Hello,
From my experience teething doesn't actually cause ear infections, but there is alot of drainage that irritates the ear canal. I use the Simialson (sp?) ear relief drops from walmart or most pharmacy sections over the counter. These really help eleviate the pain. Personally before I had my widsom teeth removed about 7 years ago my ears would hurt everytime my teeth hurt so I can only imagine what little ones go through and don't know why their mouth hurts.
Michelle

Hi W., I have come to the conclusion that it is probably a couple of things combined. One-probably there is some sort of extra drainage problem from all the extra slobber they produce when teething and Two-they put so many things in their mouths to relieve discomfort and because that's what babies do and they probably pick up a virus. Not much you can do about it except make sure they get enough to drink and sleep till the teething stops and their immune system matures. Children's Motrin works great for pain and fever, check with the Dr. about dosage and if it's ok for your daughter to take. I feel for you, a sick baby is tough, I know I've been through it myself many times. Good Luck and take care of yourself too!
M. (mom for 18 years)

From my experience, it is just the drainage that causes the ear infection. You can get an oil that is all natural to put on her gums and also, behind her ears that will help with the teething and also cut down on the infection. I used to have horrible ear infections, but I changed the shampoo I use (some shampoos have chemicals in them that will promote ear infections) and use the oil whenever my ears feel funny and I haven't been on antibiotic in 2 years. I get the oil from a mail order company and I think that is the only place you can get it.

I went through ear infections with 2 of my children and one had to have tubes. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't do that now. I would try for a more natural way and try to find out if there was an alternative.

Teething can cause colds and stuffiness which can lead to an ear infection. I have heard of putting a drop of hydrogen peroxide in your ear and letting it set for a minute can help decrease the growth of bacteria that causes an ear infection. Also my first son was getting ear infection due to water getting in his ear from bathes, we started giving him swimmers ear drops after every bath or swimming, we have not had an ear infection since, it has been over 2 yrs.

I don't know about teething causing ear infection but I noticed that you use the numbing ear drops. My son has a lot of ear infections and was given them also. Not lonh ago I woke up with an ear infection and thought I would try the drops till morning when I could go to the doctor. I am not sure if they feel different for adults but I will never put them in his ears again it hurt worse than the ear infection did.

In my experience we treated the teething and the drainage. This ussually kept my son from progressing into an ear infection. I think it all has to do with how your sinuses drain. If his get backed up too much they will start drainnig out his eyes. I'm sure you are doing this too but make sure her head is elevated at night. this seems to be when they drain the most. We ended up having to get a prescription to help Connor's drainage, none of the over the counter stuff worked for him. Hope this helps.

1 / 3