Can Teething Cause Diarrhea?

Hi all ladies,

My coming to be 16 month old son is teething with four teeth coming out at the same time. He doesn't had any problem with the first eight teeth but of course that is coming out one at a time. This time since four is coming out at the same time, can it cause duarrhea? And someone has suggested me to stop feeding him milk for now till the diarrhea stop. I will like to hear from your sugestion. So far, my son is doing ok. Playful, eat ok but not as much as before his teething started to coming out and he is well hydrated. And one more thing, due to the diarrhea his bottom is so red and it must hurt him bad too. I have change him offer and put a lot of diaper rash cream but don't seem to help. Any suggestion.
Thank you all ahead.

Yes diarrhea is normal for when a baby is teething. I wondered about that too when my babies were teething. Ask you Dr. about how you can help his bottom they may be able to tell you about a stronger diaper cream or a dietary change that can help.

Absolutely. All of the drooling can cause diarrhea. It will stop as soon as the teeth pop through. I've noticed that no matter what you feed them, it happens, so I wouldn't change his diet in any way. Just keep his booty as clean as possible and slather on the diaper rash cream. I hope he feels better soon. :)

yes maam it can. my one year old is teething, again, and last week she had diarrhea which lead to hurting bottom. If the rash gets bad, wipe him w/ a warm wash cloth (i know grose) but it's a lot milder on them than the wipies. You guys will get through, keep the cream on him after you wipe him down with the wash cloth. Good Luck

Yes so normal and he can have milk (just moderate say a cup a day) it wont hurt him. I use pedilite and freeze them into pop sickles with a thing I got at the 99 cent store.

Try and use a larger size diaper over reg. diaper and a plastic cover for potty training works wonders! Also butt paste (or zinc cream & anti fungal cream) & powder should help clear it up. My daughter gets rashes bad sometimes from poop for not even 10 mins! So this works wonders also try and air him out take a plastic table cover place on floor and have him play there, and hey if he has an accident you could toss and get a new one I love the 99 cent store for these. Or walmart has some for $4.00 nice ones.

Air for maybe 30 mins to start 3 - 4 times during the day.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Bag Balm is also at walmart in the pet department. But be careful some kids with sensitive skin break out in rashes more from this I tried it gave it to my dad she was allergic to it. Great for feet too with an old sock over it over night.

This is very common as you can tell from your other response. My youngest; who also had colitis, is prone to rashes. I know this sounds odd but the thing that has worked better then anything I have tried is Bag Balm. It comes in a square, tin like, green can and I find it at Walgreens and Raleys with the lotions. My baby gets a rash within seconds after a bowel because he colon does not do what its suppose to, so I have tried every kind of diaper cream out there I think :) and the bag balm will almost clear a rash overnight! He gets the kind of rash where the skin on his tush will peel away and bleed if he is not kept CLEAN, and the bag balm has never bothered him at all. Good luck getting thru the teething :)

its normal. you dont need to stop milk but i would avoid apple juice. for any type of pain i would suggest cold teething rings or the gentle naturals teething drops (they work wonders with my daughter). good luck this will stop soon.

In response to your diarrhea Q. Most little ones get it when they teeth. Mine did. Always remember the ABC's to diarrhea. It doesn't matter what the reason for it is either it always works. A=applesauce, B=banana's and C=cottage cheese. Any of those will help solidify the poo. I learned that one from my mother in-law, lol. Hope this helps you...

It sure can. My dad is a dentist and I am a Registered Dental Assistant. Not that that qualifies me more but it certainly does my dad, being a doctor of dental science! Teething can cause anything from headaches to flu-like symtoms, fatigue, sleeplessness, fever, diarhea,and even vomiting. These are all within the norm.
I was fortunate, or rather my babies were! They had none of these symptoms. It just depends on how the teeth are coming in.
If your baby is having a rough time, my dad always says to wash your hands and take your index or pinkie finger and rub fairly hard up and down the gumline where the teeth will be surfacing. This helps break through the tissue and also is very soothing to the baby. They like it, try it it...they really do sit still for it and like it!

Wendy

1 / 3