Can Store-bought Pizza Dough Be Frozen for Future Use?

I bought "fresh" pizza dough from the store, but didn't use it before the expiration date, so I froze it. Can I still use it? If so, what is the best way to thaw it/use it? Any tips on rolling out dough would be great too (I still haven't mastered that!)

Yes, you can freeze fresh pizza dough.

I always buy 2-3 at a time because I make a lot of pizza for my family. The best way to thaw it is to just take it out in the AM and let it thaw on the counter or just leave it in the fridge to thaw. If I forget to take it out of the freezer in time, I defrost it in the microwave on "defrost" and call it a 1/2 lb...you have to keep checking it if you do it in the microwave because you don't want the outside to start cooking.

I never roll it out, just use your hands and gradually stretch it out to fit the pan, whether circular or rectangular. Spray the pan with a little cooking spray. Brush the dough w/ olive oil and bake it at 425 for about 10 min., this assures the dough cooks all the way through. Take it out, add sauce, cheese and toppings and bake until done. If you are adding veggies, put them in the microwave for 1-2 min. first, this keeps them from being too crunchy on the pizza and absorbs the water...keeps the pizza from getting soggy.

I have done it. defrost in fridge over night. let it sit on the counter for about 1/2 an hour and use.

Ok, I used manage a few pizza places, we used a press that had some heat to get the shape at one place, I would think that a warmed large pan that is clean could help do the job with some strength. Another hand tossed the dough, a good way to start is to have your hands curled and gently pull the dough apart gently tossing with a spin to reposition it in your hands. Continue to do this until you have the desired shape/size. Rolling pins are useable but not desireable in my use. You can also use your finger tips to "flatten" the dough as you run them around the outside the only problem is the center does not tend to be even like the curled hands method. The curled hands tend to give you a standard crust ... rolling pins are better for thin crust pizzas. If you are visual you may want to get on you tube and see if there are any video tutorials ... there are TONS of things you can find on you tube or ehow.com.

I never rolled dough because I sucked at it! haha. I flatten it with my hands then kinda toss it in the air to make in thinner.

About the freezing... I really don't know. If it is a few days over then you are probably alright. I would think dough would be alright.

My mom used to do this with bread dough and it worked fine but I don't know any specific tips except it needs to defrost totally and then rise a little before baking.

I don't see why you can't freeze it. I'm sure that pizza places do it all the time. As long as you make sure you take the proper precautions to prevent freezer burn. To thaw, just take it out of the freezer and leave it on the counter until it's thawed. You could probably thaw it in the refrigerator as well.

1 / 3